PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Nitride BCG

sierra_mike
05-04-2011, 2:04 PM
Does anyone have any reviews about this type of coating on the BCG??? What would be the benefits/downfall of it?

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=326&cat=1683

pyro3k2
05-04-2011, 2:20 PM
unless you are a high volume shooter (like 1k rounds per every 2 weeks) it is not needed. If you need to get something thats not standard then a chrome BCG is more than enough for 99% of shooters.

Iggy
05-04-2011, 2:23 PM
Ooo, shiny.

sierra_mike
05-04-2011, 2:38 PM
yea I was just browsing and came across it and wondered what was so great about it besides it being shiny lol

Mr.Caketown
05-04-2011, 2:48 PM
unless you are a high volume shooter (like 1k rounds per every 2 weeks) it is not needed. If you need to get something thats not standard then a chrome BCG is more than enough for 99% of shooters.

the problem with chrome is that you have a harder metal moving against a softer metal causing premature wear. Stoner tried the Chrome BCG back in the 60s and it didnt work out. Chrome BCGs are for people who dont like to clean or people who want the bling look

HK35
05-04-2011, 2:50 PM
Ti nitride reduces friction and is used on suspension components to provide smoother travel. Not sure how much perfomace enhancement it'll provide with a metal-metal contract. Kashima (molybdinum) coating will probably work better than Ti Nitride for BCG application.

VictorFranko
05-04-2011, 2:51 PM
TiN has been used in the cutting tool industry for years. Reduces wear on the cutting edges and is supposed to reduce heat build up, making chip removal from the cutting surface easier.
I suppose it could be of some benefit on a bolt carrier, like running longer dry maybe. :confused:

Iggy
05-04-2011, 2:52 PM
the problem with chrome is that you have a harder metal moving against a softer metal causing premature wear. Stoner tried the Chrome BCG back in the 60s and it didnt work out. Chrome BCGs are for people who dont like to clean or people who want the bling look

What are normal BCG's made out of? Aren't they made out of steel? Because steel is harder than aluminum.

I don't think softer metal on harder metal contact is a problem with proper lubrication. On the other hand I don't know anything.

21SF
05-04-2011, 2:56 PM
What are normal BCG's made out of? Aren't they made out of steel? Because steel is harder than aluminum.

I don't think softer metal on harder metal contact is a problem with proper lubrication. On the other hand I don't know anything.

Lol, that what i was thinking.

I have a NIckle Boron and it runs like a beast lube or no lube, like lifer in prison hahaha.

pyro3k2
05-04-2011, 3:01 PM

The Chrome was mentioned just for the bling factor.

RONIN.
05-04-2011, 3:04 PM

you sir are 100% correct.. i put 500rds-1000rds per class.. and my standard bcg works just fine.. i really see no reason to coat the bcg with anything.. just lube.. there are many others who send many 1000rds down range at the two way range.. and use a standard bcg.. just keep it lubed..

now who knows will it be smoothing running with a titanium nitrided bcg. who knows i haven't played with one.. but my take on it is this.. it is not needed if you keep your weapon lubed..

ronin.

Mr.Caketown
05-04-2011, 3:04 PM

Depends on who makes the BCG , people praise the Young and BCM chrome bcgs , but aside from what all you hear is " They are just easier to clean and cause wear sooner"

read this

http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=508588

FeuerFrei
05-04-2011, 3:05 PM
Does anyone have any reviews about this type of coating on the BCG??? What would be the benefits/downfall of it?

You want a review?
My personal opinion;

This material is called many things by many companies.
"Nickel Boron" basically the same stuff. Whatever. :rolleyes:
I run Fail Zero BCGs' on my DI rifles and run them without any lube.
No dirt from outside of the rifle sticks to the BCG. Every lube I have tried works but also attracts dirt. My guns ran fine with regular BCG but needed to lube more often. This generated more muck inside the receiver. The "NB" coating keeps things running very smooth.
My high round count DI AR has run fine like this for a tad over 8000 rds now and has not show any ill effects. So far.
If you just run your rifle at the range then save your money.
My needs are to have a rifle run in a dirty dusty sand and loam covered shooting area that I frequent.
This rifle runs without the lube. I was told NOT to do this because it would hurt my rifle. So far so good. YMMV.
Do you "need" it. No.
Stuffing it into a "range only" rifle would be un-necessary. IMO.

rareair
05-04-2011, 5:34 PM
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/446/446331.jpg

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 6:27 PM
I want to build an AR with a Ti BCG, AR gold trigger, Leupold scope with the gold ring, and a Wood stock set so bad, in ether .308 or some exotic AR15 sized caliber.

NYY
05-04-2011, 6:40 PM
hell, i want to go and steal Osama's gold plated AK's in that "mansion" that looks like an oversized out-house....

Mail Clerk
05-04-2011, 7:10 PM

sierra-mike,

This coating is suppose to be superior to the chrome versions but like the others said unless you shoot a extremly high volume of ammo allot it just isn't necessary. It's more expensive too compared to the chromes.

Personally if your considering one simular just get a hard chrome version cuz it's more than enough.

Mail Clerk

sierra_mike
05-04-2011, 7:16 PM
I agree with what everyone says. Not worth the money. I just wanted to know what was so great about it.

duc748bip
05-04-2011, 8:36 PM
Bling! who need it? but NEED is a relative term here so. if you still want it, after all the proper research is done, get it :D

goodlookin1
05-05-2011, 6:44 AM
I can tell you that the melonite coating on my Adams Arms one piece carrier makes a world of difference when racking the charging handle back! Not that this matters much, but you can certainly feel how it slides much easier internally and would "wear" much less.

Its the difference between rubbing two pieces of light grit sand paper together, vs rubbing two pieces of smooth glass together. It's almost as if you put in a twice as light buffer spring in the buffer tube.

I felt my buddies AR (which has a standard carrier) after I had gotten used to mine, and I was thinking, "what the heck is wrong with this thing? Why is it so rough and hard to pull back?" Then I remembered my carrier is coated :D

wizdumb
05-06-2011, 12:02 AM
I have a FailZero BCG as well as a Spike's Tactical trigger group on my AR, which are coated in Nickel Boron. It's a pretty tough but slippery coating, it almost feels wet or oily when you touch it, even though it's bone dry. Underneath the coating, it's still made from steel.

No problems on mine so far, but I only have about 200 rounds down the tube after installing it. It's a hell of a lot easier to clean than the old parkerized BCG, that's for sure.

Mail Clerk
05-06-2011, 5:59 AM
wether it's hard chromed or Nitride coated it's much easier to clean compared to a conventional non-coated bolt. The fouling just seems to wipe off witha simple paper towel. Between the two chrome is still the value winner.

Mail Clerk

rareair
05-06-2011, 6:29 AM
I want to build an AR with a Ti BCG, AR gold trigger, Leupold scope with the gold ring, and a Wood stock set so bad, in ether .308 or some exotic AR15 sized caliber.

Like a .458 cal?

CRTguns
05-06-2011, 9:43 PM
TiN is the only bcg I've ever run- abnd I shoot A LOT in comp and recreation... the black stuff never sticks to the bolt- it is continually sluffed off and out where it cannot cause stoppages. The FAIL ZERO does this too, possibly better and costs about the same. Either will improve performance to the point that you'll never realize the advantage because you never have to stop and address the now non-existent issues with your bolt collecting gunk in, on and around.

And it looks sexy- I have the GOLD trigger and a gold scope lever on my match rifle... black and gold baby. Mmmmmmmm. (it's the only bling allowed in my life alright?)

Also, Sentry Solutions (brownells) makes a kit with a liquid spread on moly film and a grease that are applied- this seems to have the same, if only temporary effect, as it needs to be re-applied after each shooting session.

TMC
05-06-2011, 10:13 PM
A standard bolt is surfaced hardened and is much harder than the anodized receiver it runs in. A coated bolt will get you nothing in terms of extending the service life. Select-fire service rifles preform just fine with standard carriers and lube, yous will too.

Lube doesn't attract dirt, dirt sticks to it but it doesn't "attract it". AR's need to be cleaned and oiled, there is no short cut. If one of the "run dry" coating worked 100% the military would be using it because it would save on training which is 10 times harder than procuring rifles.

phish
05-07-2011, 8:25 AM
Not nearly enough bling, you might as well go for the complete action at that point:

http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/images/INCH002_edited-8.jpg

http://www.actionclear.com.au/

:p

motorwerks
05-07-2011, 9:38 PM
Like a .458 cal?

Sure!