PDA

View Full Version : Unregistered Handgun Question?

Rexxss98
05-04-2011, 2:47 PM
Hey Calgunners!

I have a question and was wondering if any of you guys could answer:). I have a relative that moved to this state from Missouri back in 03. While he registered and DROS his Ruger SP101 357 in Missouri, he failed to do so when moving to this state. I was wondering if he went ahead and registered it properly ASAP, if there would be any repercussions in him not doing so all these years? I don't think hes broken a single law in his life and wouldn't want anything bad to happen if he went ahead with the paperwork for registration. Thanks guys!

BayAreaShooter
05-04-2011, 2:53 PM
From what I have heard in the past California is just glad that you are registering it and not to concerned that he did not do so within the time period he was supposed to. I'm sure someone will be here soon enough to clear things up.

Librarian
05-04-2011, 5:48 PM
PC 12072(f)(4) (B)Paragraphs (2) and (3) shall not apply to a person who reports his or her ownership of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person after the applicable grace period specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires if evidence of that violation arises only as the result of the person submitting the report described in paragraph (2) or (3).

File the new resident form, and all should be well.

Shorthair
05-04-2011, 6:06 PM
The law states that you cannot be charged with possesing an unregistered gun based on information obtained while in the process of registering it. In other words, if the only reason they know it wasn't registered is because you tried to register it late then you are forgiven. I read this thouroughly before registering my bedside gun. The only reason I did it is because we live next door to a grade school. I could see the newspaper head reading "illegal imigrant (burglar) bleeds to death in playground after being shot by man with illegal hand gun"

c483125117
05-04-2011, 6:09 PM
Just file the New Resident Registration. I didn't do it within the time period either when I moved from WA to CA. He'll receive a confirmation letter from the CA DOJ.

Rexxss98
05-04-2011, 6:22 PM
Thanks Guys!:cowboy: