PDA

View Full Version : Bolt not locking back on AR?????

mikeinla
05-04-2011, 1:57 PM
I was just at Angeles with my friend that bought a Stag upper and the bolt will not lock back after the magazine is empty. What would cause this???
The rifle functions with no other problems.

Erin
05-04-2011, 1:59 PM
we did this question last week. lemme see if i can find the thread.

Erin
05-04-2011, 2:01 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=426803

found it!

mikeinla
05-04-2011, 2:09 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=426803

found it!

His will not lock without a mag and holding the bolt catch down so it is not a mag problem.

Erin
05-04-2011, 2:34 PM
hmm. so manually holding the bolt catch down and pulling the charging handle dosnt work either? you didnt say that befor.

it rarely is the mag. there were tons of differant possible fixes on that thread.

edit to add: is the bolt going all the way back? past the ejection port?

dieselpower
05-04-2011, 2:39 PM
LOL...the bolt can not lock back on the last round fired unless a magazine is in it. there is no problem. its working as intended.

His will not lock without a mag and holding the bolt catch down so it is not a mag problem.

if pulling the CH ALL THE WAY back and pushing down on the bolt catch doesnt work its the bolt catch arm...or a weak person.

Erin
05-04-2011, 2:51 PM
i saw a thread on a differant forum years ago where the BCG wasnt going back far enough to lock. the issue was a buffer spring that was too long, and an operator who didnt realize the bolt should go past the ejection port.

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 2:59 PM
I had a problem with this once. It was a rifle length buffer and somehow the screw I had that holds the stock on was too long. I had to cut like an 1/8 to a 1/4 off of it to get it to go back far enough.

RonPogi
05-04-2011, 4:52 PM
Locate the bolt stop and retract the bolt carrier fully. (This is easiest done with an empty magazine in place.) Fully retracted, there should be a gap of approximately 1/16 inch (the thickness of a dime) between the bolt face and the bolt stop. If the gap is much less than that, the bolt stop may not have time to fully extend prior to the bolt contacting it on the forward return of the carrier.

If this gap space is inadequate, disassemble the buffer and spring assembly and remove material from the rearwardmost polymer surface of the buffer. A belt sander is recommended for this job.