PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions regarding Desert Eagle pistols

Tyrantic
05-04-2011, 1:35 PM
Greetings experts at calguns.net,

New member here, first post. I had a couple of questions regarding my .357 Desert Eagle. Before I continue, however, I would like to mention that I am aware that there is a manual in PDF format available online for this gun. I just wanted to get down to the small details and specifics.

What solvent and lubricant should I use to clean and lube it - is Breakfree fine for both these tasks or are there better things specifically for each?

Also, how should I clean the bore and and bolt etc...should I apply some solvent to a brush and scrape all over (save the outside, of course), or should I use a patch?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

chaseface
05-04-2011, 2:47 PM
I dont have all the answers for you but as far as what to clean and how to clean it, I use a boresnake in all of my firearms. It cleans so much faster, and just as well, as a copper brush. You put on your favorite solvant, run it through a few times, and it should shine brightly. After that I run a dry patch through to get any excess solvent out, then run a couple patches with the oil of your choice to keep it nice and lubed for storage. Then before shooting I run a dry patch through to soak up all the excess lube. Thats all just for the barrel.

I have never had to use a brush to clean any internal parts like the bolt. Just a rag with some solvent and elbow grease. If there is some stuck on real good I use the abrazive side of an everyday dish sponge. Hope that helps. Someone will probly come along now and tell you everything I do is wrong :) but everyone has their own opinion. I'm not even going to get into what lube to use because there are so many different opinions on that. Some people like Hoppes, some people like high end super expensive stuff, but if you ever go the the 1911forum.com there are LOTS of people that just use simple synthetic motor oil to lube their guns, and were talking high-end 1911's. Good luck

Edit: And welcome to calguns!!

Tyrantic
05-04-2011, 3:18 PM
Thanks for sharing bud