PDA

View Full Version : 8 mm Mauser from SOH

ATS76
11-27-2006, 7:42 AM
SOG carries 2 non-corrosive military surplus:
Romanian $36/380 rd = 10 cents per round plus freight
Yugo Belted $38/250 rd = 15 cents per round plus freight

Are these really non-corrosive? If anyone has tried them, please let me know your experience.

Thank you.

stevie
11-27-2006, 7:45 AM
All corrosive, treat any surplus ammo (8mm) as such. The Romi and Yugo are corrosive. SOG is bad at showing ammo as non-corrosive.

metalhead357
11-27-2006, 7:48 AM
NOTHING wrong with shooting corrosive; just adequately clean the weapon after shooting and there will be ZERO problems...........

chiefcrash
11-27-2006, 8:43 AM
i know for a fact the romanian is corrosive, and i'm almost positive that the yugo stuff is too. i shoot the romanian myself. just make sure you clean the hell out of your rifle. and don't wait a day or two: do it as soon as you get home from the range.

btw: AIM Surplus has a better deal on the romanian

ATS76
11-27-2006, 1:01 PM
Thank you for all your quick responses. I just received 380 rounds of Romanian from J&G for $34. Their freight is much cheaper.

The can from J&G looks like the can from SOG. It’s very likely they both bought their Romanian from the same importer. J&G advertises it as corrosive.

Is there any non-corrosive 8mm military surplus on the market? I am on restriction from my wife and cannot afford the non-corrosive commercial ammo.

chiefcrash
11-27-2006, 3:12 PM
not sure about non-corrosive surplus.

FYI: when you go and shoot it, your bolt face will be red when you get back home. don't freak out, it's just sealant from the primer...

now if you clean it, and three days later it turns red again, you got a problem...

Mssr. Eleganté
11-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Is there any non-corrosive 8mm military surplus on the market? I am on restriction from my wife and cannot afford the non-corrosive commercial ammo.

Samco sells non-corrosive surplus 8mm, but after shipping charges it is just as expensive as the commercial ammo you're not allowed to buy. They have Austrian and Portuguese surplus, but some folks have reported receiving older, corrosive Portuguese from them instead of the newer non-corrosive Portuguese ammo.

http://www.samcoglobal.com/ammo.html

the_lynch_family
11-30-2006, 3:58 PM
I just purchased some more 8mm myself today. The stuff is corrosive. But works great in the semi. I picked up 4 cases of it at $28.48 per 380 rounds. 4 cases cost $227. . A total of 3040 rounds. $53 to ship all 4 cases. If any of you know of a place thats local/bay area that carries the 8mm please let me know. I would love to cut out the shipping costs.

ATS76
11-30-2006, 4:58 PM
Where did you get them? I am buying from AIM @29.95 per 380 round.

DRH
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
If you spray the gun down with windex (ammonia) at the range, all you have to do when you get home is a normal cleaning. The best way to get cheap 8mm ammo (and other calibers) is to order from Century International arms with a C&R on file. The shipping is $12.50 on orders under $500.00 and free on orders over $500.00. How they can send that stuff to the west coast from Vermont with no shipping charges is a mystery to me. I think they are out of 8mm right now, but they will get something in soon.
27,000 rounds of 8mm at 1,450 lbs. with free shipping, a free bayonet, and a free paintball gun case. How can you not like that deal.:D

ATS76
12-04-2006, 11:35 AM
27M round? That's a lot. I am a slow old man. It will take me over 10 years to finish them.

chiefcrash
12-04-2006, 12:45 PM
If you spray the gun down with windex (ammonia) at the range, all you have to do when you get home is a normal cleaning. The best way to get cheap 8mm ammo (and other calibers) is to order from Century International arms with a C&R on file. The shipping is $12.50 on orders under $500.00 and free on orders over $500.00. How they can send that stuff to the west coast from Vermont with no shipping charges is a mystery to me. I think they are out of 8mm right now, but they will get something in soon.
27,000 rounds of 8mm at 1,450 lbs. with free shipping, a free bayonet, and a free paintball gun case. How can you not like that deal.:D

they charge $12.50 to EVERYONE. if they ship to someone down the street, they charge $12.50. If they ship to someone in cali, they charge $12.50. my theory is that it evens out in the end...

DRH
12-04-2006, 2:05 PM
27M round? That's a lot. I am a slow old man. It will take me over 10 years to finish them.
Shooting a bolt action rifle it would last a lifetime. But shooting 3-4 thousand rounds per range trip in a belf fed gun burns it up real quick.

x-ring
12-12-2006, 3:00 PM
"Mildly corrosive" is just marketing hype.

It's the PRIMER accelerant that causes corrosion.

There were two types of primers available for the majority of the period we are talking about when discussing mil-surp ammo (World War 1 to about present). Sodium Petrochlorate (corrosive) and non-corrosive (usually lead stypnate).

PERIOD.

Either it is a corrosively based priming compound or it isn't. Either you are dead or you ain't. Either your gal is pregnant or she isn't. Black & White issue, no gray. Ammo is corrosively primed or it isn't. No in-between. No mildly. No almost.

Whether I use corrosive or non-corrosive ammo, I clean the same way. In gas guns I clean each part that was hit with the gas.

It may sound hard-core but the way I do it is to use boiling hot soapy water. A one or two gallon pail works well. Field strip, put loose parts in pail to soak. Immerse receiver in solution and scrub the bore and chamber with a brush and solid rod, using a muzzle protector.

For self loaders like the M-1...Remove the gas plug, immerse the gas cylinder and muzzle (but not the handguard) and swab the cylinder bore with a brush. Repeat in boiling hot 'rinse' water with a few drops of oil on the surface. Clean the residue from the small parts and the recessses of the receiver with an old toothbrush. Use Hot water and latex gloves to protect your hands. The hot water evaporates quickly, and WD-40 (If you can find old mil-surp VVL-800 it's even better) can be used to displace moisture from the rear sight and the bolt extractor without disassembly.

Swab the bore with an oily patch, then use it to go over all parts. Grease and reassemble.

rla_2000
01-11-2007, 8:18 AM
My grandfather taught me how the army taught him! Run some ammonia (Windex) through your gun the night after shooting, and then take "Her" into the shower with you (After Dismantling)! This will ensure that all the salt and corrosive residue it washed away!! Then dry each part individually (Salt and Water are a rifles worst enemies), and then follow up with oil!

If your going to shoot again soon simple Windex will do, but for long-term storage (More then a week by my standards) I wash mine down completely! And I always consider any military ammo as corrosive!