PDA

View Full Version : can my cousin give me a long gun?

Vanilla Gorilla
05-04-2011, 10:35 AM
ok so my cousin has a savage 300 win mag that he said doesn't want any more so jokingly I said I will take it if you are going to give it away he said if I want it I can have it now my question is do I have to dros it or can he just give it to me

joelj320
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Dros

BayAreaShooter
05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
He has to DROS it to you. I guess he could also loan it to you every 30 day indefinitely. ;)

BostonFan
05-04-2011, 11:40 AM
He could gift it to his mother or father thats related to your mother or father then from there it could be gifted to your mother or father that's related then they could gift it to you. All without dros

paul0660
05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
He could gift it to his mother or father thats related to your mother or father then from there it could be gifted to your mother or father that's related then they could gift it to you. All without dros

No, one more step up, to gramma or grandpa, then down.

IrishPirate
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM

This^

Plus This ^

as long as they're all "on board" with it there shouldn't be any issue.

goodlookin1
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
This^

Plus This ^

LOL, You beat me to it! I was gonna say the same exact thing.

Vanilla Gorilla
05-04-2011, 12:21 PM

is there any forms i ned to fill out to make it mine if i decide to sell it in the future?

M.C.
05-04-2011, 12:37 PM

This is what I don't get. There is no paper trail... how would they prove otherwise?

If his cousin gave him the gun... in theory, all the OP would have to say is that it was a gift from his cousin to his aunt to his grandma to his mom to him.

This is one more reason intrafamilial transfer laws in CA are retarded.

:cuss:

:rant:

GunSafari
05-04-2011, 12:44 PM
being someone who can legally possess a gun and having a gun in your possession that is completely legal but never having it dros'ed will not be a problem unless you get caught carrying it in an illegal fashion. it also wont be a gun you can ccw even if you have a ccw

someone please correct me if i am wrong in any way

paul0660
05-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes, there does not need to be a paper trail, but it can be self registered with this: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

paul0660
05-04-2011, 12:49 PM
being someone who can legally possess a gun and having a gun in your possession that is completely legal but never having it dros'ed will not be a problem unless you get caught carrying it in an illegal fashion. it also wont be a gun you can ccw even if you have a ccw

Actually, although some jurisdictions reportedly require that CCW permit guns be registered, carrying an unregistered handgun LEGALLY is legal...........if ya know what I mean. If you carry it illegally (violating 12025) the penalty is enhanced, it isn't a separate violation.

Vanilla Gorilla
05-04-2011, 2:09 PM

seeing as how the gun in question is a savage in 300 win mag with a bull barrel and the rifle is almost 4 feet long and heavy as all heck i dont think me not being able to use it for my ccw is going to be a problem ;)