PDA

View Full Version : Curios about SVI guns

ruchik
05-04-2011, 9:40 AM
I have a question regarding the SVI guns listed on the CA roster. There are only two. However, since the grip isn't actually part of the frame, and neither is the slide, once the gun is in its legal-to-be-sold-in-CA configuration, can I replace basically everything I want on the gun as long as the frame is the original? I ask because I'm thinking about buying the CA legal version and putting the compact carry grip on it along with a shorter slide and barrel, but I don't know if that would be legal.

leelaw
05-04-2011, 9:59 AM
Legal.

kmca
05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Why Not use the single shot exemption?

kmca
05-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Why Not use the single shot exemption and get it the way you want it first?

ruchik
05-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I thought about that, but I'm not sure SVI would send a custom-built gun that is off-list to an FFL here in CA for the single shot conversion in the first place.

kmca
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Couldn't Hurt to call and ask, then let us all know the answer.

MacDime
05-04-2011, 12:46 PM
you need a long barrel for the exemption.

IPSICK
05-04-2011, 1:32 PM
I think SVI let's you spec it how you want it but you must take possession of it in CA legal form before you send it back to them to make the final changes.

kmca
05-04-2011, 1:44 PM
They use standard 1911 barrels, so I would think any dealer who does single shots could do it.

TMC
05-04-2011, 1:57 PM
Here's how it works, you go the Gun Builder site and spec out your gun. Once you have you final plan and price they will send a CA legal gun for you to DROS. Once the DROS is complete you ship the gun back to them and they will convert it to the gun you spec'd out on Gun Builder. I was told a few years ago that the CA process add a about $150 to the final price.

IPSICK
05-04-2011, 9:56 PM
Here's how it works, you go the Gun Builder site and spec out your gun. Once you have you final plan and price they will send a CA legal gun for you to DROS. Once the DROS is complete you ship the gun back to them and they will convert it to the gun you spec'd out on Gun Builder. I was told a few years ago that the CA process add a about $150 to the final price.

Not a bad deal if you can afford SVI to begin with.