PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys save your receipts? OMG

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 8:13 AM
I always save my receipts for rifles and parts, whether I still own them or not. I just hole-punched a bunch today from recent purchases to put into my PINK (not a word!) book. So, I decided to add them up..... OMG..... In two years, $21,421 has been put in that book.. I would have never thought about that, until now.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/dehlers1/db0d4fd2.jpg

pacrimguru
05-04-2011, 8:16 AM
i don't even want to think about it!

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 8:19 AM

I know what yours looks like! Makes mine look like a coin jar.

pacrimguru
05-04-2011, 8:21 AM
OMG, you're making me think about it now... *hangs head in shame*... but also *raises fist in defiant glory*

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 8:24 AM
OMG, you're making me think about it now... *hangs head in shame*... but also *raises fist in defiant glory*

I got a divorce out of mine.... LOL.

Calif Mini
05-04-2011, 8:27 AM
I always save my receipts for rifles and parts, whether I still own them or not. I just hole-punched a bunch today from recent purchases to put into my PINK (not a word!) book. So, I decided to add them up..... OMG..... In two years, $21,421 has been put in that book.. I would have never thought about that, until now.

With that budget......... I want you to know I can be made available for adoption.............LLLLOL+

crob
05-04-2011, 8:31 AM
Absolutely. I learned the hard way that it makes life easier when reporting losses to your insurance company in the event of a break in. Now I keep electronic copies of receipts for all major purchases stashed all over. As for totaling the cost of those purchases, I don't want to think about it. I am nowhere near approaching that number, but still would be like getting punched in the junk

pacrimguru
05-04-2011, 8:31 AM

awesome! :D

CK_32
05-04-2011, 8:59 AM
Nope for that exact reason... I could have already had 3 CBRS already with my cash... A 600 750 and a 1000 with the total I have dropped on guns or gun products...

negolien
05-04-2011, 9:10 AM
I also keep all my firearms purchase receipts just in case.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
05-04-2011, 9:19 AM

I throw away all records for this exact reason!!!!!:confused:

Keep yer head up tho since now ya got all this time to shoot!!

Sgt. Slaughter
05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I throw away all records for this exact reason!!!!!:confused:

Keep yer head up tho since now ya got all this time to shoot!!

Yeah, just got to get the number of guns in you safe to above 10 or 15 by the time you get married, that way she'll just know you have "a bunch of guns".
When you pick up a new one she won't notice. And if she does just tell her to "get back in the kitchen" or "go clean the bathroom, I just left a mess in there for you". That'll smooth things over if you get in trouble.

buuddha
05-04-2011, 2:30 PM
Impressive. Want to go shooting sometime? Haha

rareair
05-04-2011, 2:35 PM
I always save my receipts for rifles and parts, whether I still own them or not. So, I decided to add them up..... OMG..... In two years, $21,421 has been put in that book.. I would have never thought about that, until now.

Is that all? ;)

cmace22
05-04-2011, 2:58 PM
I have 2 of those.......

Im gonna resist totaling it up though!

762.DEFENSE
05-04-2011, 3:09 PM
Impressive, I'm only a quarter of the way there of your total this year and I'm already feeling guilty. Kudos to you and your collection!

CHS
05-04-2011, 3:15 PM

Until my gun habit becomes tax-deductible, I see no point to keeping any receipts.

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 3:19 PM
I don't want my wife to know exactly how much I spend..... so I have pictures of EVERYTHING on a disc with a complete list of serials numbers and parts that are in each gun.

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 3:40 PM
I don't want my wife to know exactly how much I spend..... so I have pictures of EVERYTHING on a disc with a complete list of serials numbers and parts that are in each gun.

LOL, and password protected i'm sure.

Steve1968LS2
05-04-2011, 4:37 PM

Yea.. I don't save receipts for my 68 Camaro either.. lol

It's just a bad idea.. better to live in denial.

HK Dave
05-04-2011, 4:45 PM
I knew i spent a bit excessively on my lovely firearms... but i figured it couldn't be THAT much. I did look at my receipts recently and just for kicks started adding them up.

I freaked out... i realized my wife might have me killed...

The receipts are now hidden in a separate safe only I have the key to. :P

Fate
05-04-2011, 4:47 PM

Precisely why those documents disappear ;)

MrExel17
05-04-2011, 4:55 PM
To scared to LQQK, plus this collection/sport/hobby makes be happy and that you can't place a price tag on.

Omil
05-04-2011, 4:57 PM
I did stop counting looooong time ago.:D

Joe
05-04-2011, 5:01 PM
21K? My god. How many guns did you buy?

NSR500
05-04-2011, 5:05 PM
Yes, I save my reciepts. It's an excellent practice in the event one has to ever make the unfortunate claim against home owner's insurance.

jbush
05-04-2011, 5:06 PM
I kinda total in my head what a new gun will cost for scope, mounts, parts I want to add on etc., etc. but I'd never again total receipts. Got a whim to try a custom 10/22 for plinking. Had a great time researching what was best, ordering parts, if I didn't like something, I ordered something else. Gun came out great, but I made the mistake of totalling the receipts and found out my $200 gun was now $850 and it seemed to take some of the fun out of it. Never, never, never again.

seronian
05-04-2011, 5:30 PM
OP had to open this im at 9 gs already an i started towrads the end of last year.

hate you sir....jk.

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 5:41 PM
21K? My god. How many guns did you buy?

Look at my iTrader...LOL

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 5:43 PM
OP had to open this im at 9 gs already an i started towrads the end of last year.

hate you sir....jk.
I'm at 9 gs just from PK Firearms alone ...... back 2 years ago when they were the only ones that had multiple upper choices.

till44
05-04-2011, 5:49 PM
Look at my iTrader...LOL

Your I-trader needs work! And can you really put a price on happiness?!

Cokebottle
05-04-2011, 5:49 PM
Only for the initial purchase.
They go into a small manilla envelope with the gun model, serial number, date of purchase, and FFL written on the outside.
They go into the document safe.

I don't bother with receipts or invoices for ammo and accessories. I keep them until I know I won't be returning it, then they go through the shredder.

My biggest beef is shipping boxes. I don't like anything in the dumpsters with my name and address on it with any connection to firearms.
I'll usually cut the address label off of the box, shred it, then if the boxes have artwork (like Cabelas) I'll take them to work and toss them in the dumpster there.

jwkincal
05-04-2011, 5:56 PM
firearms are an EXCELLENT investment. They hold value much better than most hobby/pastime things (bikes, cars, et. al.).

Ammo? Not so much... but that's where the "can't put a price on fun/happiness/security" comes in.

BearWhoHunts
05-04-2011, 6:13 PM
I only keep receipts for the guns not accessories or ammo. I didn't used to but when I was younger my house was robbed and when they caught the perp we didn't get our guns back without sufficient evidence of ownership. We only had them on a few for the recent ones, so most of the most precious (family heirlooms) were lost forever.
Now I take photos, keep the receipts, FFL info, and copies of the serials together in the document safe.

I am never going to add them up. That will make me take a long hard look at some of the ones I like and rarely use that I don't want to let go and the longer I can go without doing that the happier I will be.

To add to the point about the better half, we all need to find ladies like one of the last ones I dated. She loved guns almost as much as me. Sad to see her go. :(
"Why don't we just have a quiet evening at home? We can have dinner and clean the guns!"

Rebellious
05-04-2011, 6:20 PM

Looks very similar to my pile. I'm almost 4 years deep. Don't plan on slowing down either ;)

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 6:21 PM
I'm at 9 gs just from PK Firearms alone ...... back 2 years ago when they were the only ones that had multiple upper choices.

I really like PK when I was looking for a barrel they were the only ones with a 20inch HBAR and it was at a good price. I need to get back over there and check them out. Its like I always forget about them when stuff is easy to find.

darkest2000
05-04-2011, 6:34 PM
I keep most of my "gun" purchase receipts. But I add the $ up separately in an excel file. and yeah it's cool to witness how much they add up。。。

Sanderhawk
05-04-2011, 6:43 PM
I have all my paperwork to all my guns. Just incase.

Mail Clerk
05-04-2011, 7:05 PM
missiontrails,

When it comes to my guns I keep every piece of paper work and file them accordingly. I never want to wind up involved with any police asking me if my paper work is in order. I have a cabinet/file to keep my records in order.

Mail Clerk

ArkinDomino
05-04-2011, 9:08 PM
I only keep DROS forms. Receipts would probably horrify my CPA. :D

morfeeis
05-04-2011, 10:59 PM
God no! do you have any idea what my wife would do if she knew how much some of this stuff cost!

swampbutt
05-04-2011, 11:39 PM
when i first started i used to save my receipts but now if i have a digital copy im fine with that too

Rebellious
05-04-2011, 11:49 PM
God no! do you have any idea what my wife would do if she knew how much some of this stuff cost!

you know that it works both ways.;)

30rdMag
05-05-2011, 2:10 AM
Now just think of all the cool stuff you could have bought with that money if you lived say in Arizona with open gun laws.... lol

caldude
05-05-2011, 6:52 AM
I have half a file drawer full of receipts, manuals, and other gun info. I keep track of gun info on a spreadsheet. I totaled it up over a year ago after two years of purchases, and I had a similarly scary number. While I keep track of individual purchase data (in case I want to buy the same thing again), I don't keep a total. Luckily part of that spending was my wife's, so she can't really complain.

ZX-10R
05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah it is not cheap...My motorcycle stuff the past 7 years is outrageous. Could have bought two cars. Guns add up for sure as well.

Baga
05-05-2011, 1:06 PM
I just say to myself, "Know Your Limits"

kazman
05-05-2011, 1:09 PM
I keep most of mine. But you got me beat.

Lead Waster
05-05-2011, 1:26 PM
Yeah, just got to get the number of guns in you safe to above 10 or 15 by the time you get married, that way she'll just know you have "a bunch of guns".
When you pick up a new one she won't notice. And if she does just tell her to "get back in the kitchen" or "go clean the bathroom, I just left a mess in there for you". That'll smooth things over if you get in trouble.

Exactly! I wonder if my wife noticed that I have more than one pistol now. She knows I'm building an AR because parts in "long boxes" show up.
ALso, hard to miss a package from "riflegear". That one I had sent home instead of to the office. You don't want "riflegear" on the received package log!

Also, OP said receipts for even guns he no longer has. So it's not 21k of guns he has now. I hope. ie; I hope he sold some to offset the new ones.

I can say that in terms of firearms I've spent, in the last 2 years about 1300. But also, in the last 10 years I've spent ...1300. Since I bought some guns back in the day, and then lately I bought a pistol and AR parts. I'm not counting reloading equipment and the couple of hundred for factory ammo.

komrad
05-05-2011, 1:36 PM
To scared to LQQK, plus this collection/sport/hobby makes be happy and that you can't place a price tag on.

hahaa. yea. I'm in this category, too scared to look. ...but it does make me want to know tho.

wingman
05-05-2011, 2:10 PM
U spend so much time at the range, the range master knows u by your first name.
Oh'ya hi Don @ Cordova Shooting Center. My Range Master for last 20yrs.
He always knows my money well spent. ;)

FourLoko
05-05-2011, 3:29 PM
I have an Excel spreadsheet. Only my first build though. Will probably be the first and last spreadsheet.

05-05-2011, 3:32 PM
How much was sold and traded....?

That's the story of my life.....

seronian
05-05-2011, 3:33 PM
this is just as bad as figuring out how i can get back at the dude who invented work.

Lead Waster
05-05-2011, 3:51 PM
I should also point out that I have 2 three year olds and their monthly preschool tuition and after-school care far far far far far far far far exceeds any gun purchases I've made. Ever.

capitol
05-05-2011, 5:39 PM
You guys hiding guns from your wives crack me up.

Schedule surgery and have your uterus removed asap and then grow a pair.

If not then maybe your wife is right and you dont have the $$$ to spend on firearms ;)