PDA

View Full Version : TROY is pissing me off.....

motorwerks
05-03-2011, 8:21 PM
So...

Back on March 16th I received a Troy "Extreme" TRX .308 AWESOME! So I went right out to the garage to throw everything together since it was the last part I was waiting for to complete my .308 Well BOTH of the Heli-coils pulled right out. I wasn't too ticked about it I gave them a call within an hour (that I never heard back from) and sent off an Email. I got an Email the next day and we exchanged emails till the 22nd before all of the details were worked out. I was supposed to be getting a shipping label. I waited till the 25th before I pointed out I still didn't have a label. I was assured that It was on its way one time I was told I would have it by the end of the day. I wasn't sure if it was being mailed or what so I waited.

March 30th
"Hello Mr. Lewis,

I apologize for the delay however the message came back to my inbox as not being received. I hope this time it reaches you well. Thank you. "

Cool no big deal I can except that (this guy is good at calming me down)

So I got it and I drug my feet. I honestly went to Home depot and grabbed a couple of longer allens with a nylock backer. I REALLY wanted to shoot the gun I had been throwing hand fulls of money at. So I went to the Range once and then life happened. It took me a while to have time to get it into a box and get it shipped out.

April 22nd I hadnt heard from them so I asked if they had seen it yet. And they had....

"Hello,
I did receive the handguard and the product was successfully repaired by our manufacturing department. The product should ship out Monday morning at the latest. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you."

Cool I ended up having to ask for a tracking number that for whatever reason I didn't see till today. I don't know what happened there but Ill take the hit for that one. Whatever it showed up today and I promptly whipped out my knife and cut'er open......

To find that they only replaced one of the heli-coils, and after looking closer at the damn thing it looks like there weren't even threads for the heli-coil to grab anyway. It was smooth where there should be threads, at first I thought maybe I messed it up when the coil ripped out but there is still mostly ano where it was. There is a little missing but it was red loc-tited in place so I'm not surprised there was a little missing.

Anyway this is where I am, I swear I didn't monkey this thing together I read the directions before starting, I was real careful. I'm ready to cut this damn thing up into little pieces but then I'm screwed because I have a new style DPMS receiver and not to many people make them at this height yet. Anyhow I'm loosing my patience with this, really quickly I gave them a call and left a message so we will see how this goes.

r6raff
05-03-2011, 8:56 PM
Bummer man, keep us posted on how TROY handles this. Hopefully it gets taken care of faster the second time around and correctly. Nothing like little **** holding you back, i'm hurting for you man.

Sgt. Slaughter
05-03-2011, 9:48 PM
That sucks... A level 10 bummer, a little while a go I had a level 3 bummer with troy.
I ordered a sling from them, that was supposed to be in stock, Called the next day just to confirm it was in stock, one month later......NOTHING. Called, and she told me it was on backorder or some s*hit like that. Got it a month after that. I was bummed. If I was in your shoes I'd be patching holes in the drywall right now.

FatalKitty
05-03-2011, 9:59 PM
I was considering a fixed rear sight from them... but after reading this thread I think I'll go with Daniel Defense instead

motorwerks
05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I should also say I have their sights and another one of their rails...... not one problem over the last year or two. But yeah this is a total bummer I just hope it all works out. I really dont want to take this up the ladder.

thrillhouse700
05-04-2011, 12:22 AM
That sucks man, sorry to hear. Kinda glad I did not go with the troy, I really dig how my hand guard bolts up. But who knows any number of horrible things could go wrong from now till the time I bolt it up.

Hope it works out for ya man. Just tell them you want a replacement.

goodlookin1
05-04-2011, 7:03 AM
but then I'm screwed because I have a new style DPMS receiver and not to many people make them at this height yet

Sorry for your troubles....unfortunately I dont have any advice.

But I do have a question: What "new style DMPS receiver" came out? I have not heard of such a receiver. I know of two three different versions: Tall (old), short (old) and Lite (newer). As far as I know, the "Lite" and the "Short" have the same height rail, only the Lite has some weight shaved off of it.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "new DPMS receiver"? And maybe pics?

Thanks

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 7:17 AM
Those guys should be shipping you out a NEW one right now.... Before you send it back to them this time, and there should be a return label in the box for the one you currently have in your hand. PERIOD. You should post a clear pic of the helicoils.

mlevans66
05-04-2011, 7:28 AM
Oh man this is no good. I hate when this happens to me or anyone else. I hope they come through for you. Email and call the heck out of them. Hit'em up till they give you what you paid for and also post a pick of this most EPIC rifle. Good luck, killa!

762.DEFENSE
05-04-2011, 8:10 AM
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I always thought Troy was good to go on solving any of these kind of issues. Maybe I'll just switch my business over to DD in the future.

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Those guys should be shipping you out a NEW one right now.... Before you send it back to them this time, and there should be a return label in the box for the one you currently have in your hand. PERIOD. You should post a clear pic of the helicoils.

I took one last night with my phone (it takes remarkable macro pictures for a phone) I'm in a deposition right now so Ill have to see if I can figure out how to get it to photobucket from said phone.

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Sorry for your troubles....unfortunately I dont have any advice.

But I do have a question: What "new style DMPS receiver" came out? I have not heard of such a receiver. I know of two three different versions: Tall (old), short (old) and Lite (newer). As far as I know, the "Lite" and the "Short" have the same height rail, only the Lite has some weight shaved off of it.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "new DPMS receiver"? And maybe pics?

Thanks

DPMS changed the height in like the middle of 2010 if I remember correctly form the "old" to the "new" the rail height is a little lower on the "new" then the old. Oddly enough Troy has the best pictures of this....

I dont know why this wont open larger for me but this is the best thing I have.... http://troyind.com/wp-content/uploads/Troy-BattleRail-TRX-308-12-2.jpg

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
this is the best I can do for now. The circle of missing ano is from me. Its where I had the backer Ny-lock nuts so I could go to the range. I'm honestly not sure where the chewed aluminum down the center came from I should have snapped a picture before I sent this thing out but I wasn't expecting any problems like this. Some of that may be from me, I had to use needle nose to get the Heli-coils out, because when they pulled out they pulled out and into the center there, but I REALLY honestly dont remember that looking that bad. Anyhow heres the picture.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/motorwerks/Guns/2011-05-03180050.jpg

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Oh man this is no good. I hate when this happens to me or anyone else. I hope they come through for you. Email and call the heck out of them. Hit'em up till they give you what you paid for and also post a pick of this most EPIC rifle. Good luck, killa!

By the way I love that I'm in a room with 5 attorneys and a court reporter posting away on a gun forum. Here's the pictures I took before I shipped the rail out the first time. You can see the ny-locks in the first picture and it doesn't look as chewed in that picture but its hard to tell because of the angle.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/motorwerks/Guns/IMG_4367.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/motorwerks/Guns/IMG_4361-1.jpg

The lower before ANO while it was still at Tactical Machining! : )
(BTW Tactical Machining has AMAZING customer service!!!! I love them)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/motorwerks/Guns/_DSC0003.jpg

goodlookin1
05-04-2011, 11:24 AM
this is the best I can do for now. The circle of missing ano is from me. Its where I had the backer Ny-lock nuts so I could go to the range. I'm honestly not sure where the chewed aluminum down the center came from I should have snapped a picture before I sent this thing out but I wasn't expecting any problems like this. Some of that may be from me, I had to use needle nose to get the Heli-coils out, because when they pulled out they pulled out and into the center there, but I REALLY honestly dont remember that looking that bad. Anyhow heres the picture.[/IMG]

My suggestion:

Get TROY to replace it. If they're being douche bags about it and wont refund or replace, use your wallet and voice to protest! Tell your story to the world.

If they wont replace it, i'd then suggest that you get the coils out of the threads, then re-tap the holes to fit a larger size screw.....this isnt that hard to do since it's aluminum. Get a tap that's slightly larger than the current size of the hole. Or you could ghetto rig this sucker by getting two bolts with shafts that will fit through those holes and get matching nuts. Clamp that sucker together as good as you can and it shouldnt move. But it might look like @$$. I'd try the tap before this option.

Good luck!

EDIT - Just saw the second set of pics and see that you already did the bolt/nut option. Did this not work? Or do you just not like the looks of it?

mlevans66
05-04-2011, 11:26 AM
By the way I love that I'm in a room with 4 attorneys posting away on a gun forum. Here's the pictures I took before I shipped the rail out the first time. You can see the ny-locks in the first picture and it doesn't look as chewed in that picture but its hard to tell because of the angle.

Oh it that the rifle?! That thing looks, EPIC! I hope you get your issue resolved cause that rifle is beggin to be shot. Niiice rifle, killa!

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Oh it that the rifle?! That thing looks, EPIC! I hope you get your issue resolved cause that rifle is beggin to be shot. Niiice rifle, killa!

yup that's the one. I love the Rifle, it has a 10x scope on it now that I haven't even been able to use.

Just saw the second set of pics and see that you already did the bolt/nut option. Did this not work? Or do you just not like the looks of it?

It worked fine at first it was just that I wanted it right. I paid for a product that wasn't good from go so I wanted it fixed. Now its the principal of the whole thing, and the anodize is chewed to **** too.

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Ok I *****ed just a hair too soon. I just got this Email back from James...

"Good Afternoon Mr. Lewis,

I apologize for the confusion, the handguard that was to be sent to you was to be a replacement unit as the handguard you had returned was not able to be repaired. I will have this taken care of immediately and your replacement will ship out this afternoon Next Day Air and you should receive it tomorrow. I will include a return shipment label in the box for the handguard to ship back to our facility. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Thank you. "

My day just got a BUNCH better!!!!!!!

cmace22
05-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Ok I *****ed jsut a hair too son. I jsut got this Email back from James...

I apologize for the confusion, the handguard that was to be sent to you was to be a replacement unit as the handguard you had returned was not able to be repaired. I will have this taken care of immediately and your replacement will ship out this afternoon Next Day Air and you should receive it tomorrow. I will include a return shipment label in the box for the handguard to ship back to our facility. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Thank you. "

Thats good to hear.

TabooAR
05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice! It's always a beautiful thing when a company stands up and does the right thing.

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
By the way I love that I'm in a room with 5 attorneys and a court reporter posting away on a gun forum. Here's the pictures I took before I shipped the rail out the first time. You can see the ny-locks in the first picture and it doesn't look as chewed in that picture but its hard to tell because of the angle.

Just Duracoat those bolts and be done:)

d4v0s
05-04-2011, 12:46 PM

Maybe they saw your thread on Calguns and decided to head this PR nightmare off at the pass.

BTW Very nice rifle, that thing is beautiful!

thrillhouse700
05-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Sounds like they got people that browse the diff forums for customer retention like my company does haha. Which is a great thing!!!!! Glad you got it handled and kudos to Troy for taking care of bidness.

goodlookin1
05-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Awesome! Glad it worked out and that TROY is a company that stands behind their product.

mlevans66
05-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Maybe they saw your thread on Calguns and decided to head this PR nightmare off at the pass.

Ha! The power of CALGUNS! Good to hear you issue getting resolved.

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 1:16 PM
Just Duracoat those bolts and be done:)

I dunked them in cold blue and it turned them black just after I took that picture, but since Troy is doing the right thing. I dont have to :D

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 1:21 PM
Yeah I just did a little dance at the lunch break. My inlaws are going to be in town for mothers day which means I'll me sneaking off to the range soon to blow off some steam. Ill have this thing and my 10/22 with a BUNCH of new goodies to zero and wring out. :D

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 1:26 PM

Thank you! I put a metric ***** ton of time and money into it. I really do love this rifle!!! It shoots REALLY good! I only have exactly 62 rounds down range but every one of them was 100% problem free. I swear that when I shoot from the bench it puts every round in a little pile its really kind of cool.

PolishMike
05-04-2011, 1:30 PM
I won't stock or install their rails because of how crappy the attachment system is. I have a broken one that snapped in the back just finger tightening it.

The attachment system is just plain poor. It relies on bending aluminum to get tight.

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 2:28 PM
I won't stock or install their rails because of how crappy the attachment system is. I have a broken one that snapped in the back just finger tightening it.

The attachment system is just plain poor. It relies on bending aluminum to get tight.

I dont really like it, but the one on my 15 has been great. I really haven't had any problems with any troy stuff. I think I've dumped close to a grand on their stuff with zero other problems.

rareair
05-04-2011, 2:43 PM

Keep us all informed if you actually do receive the hand guard tomorrow. Only then can we all say this case is closed ;)

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 2:56 PM
good point. Ill give them 2 days honestly. I dont trust UPS to make things right :D

Blockwater
05-04-2011, 3:12 PM
I had the same thing happen to my TRX rail! Well not the back & forth BS. I have to say thought Troy is not in my Book of Great Companies, they actaully made me pay to ship their c"apy product back to them. Tryed to charge me for repairs too!

Sad stuff.

1911su16b870
05-04-2011, 3:15 PM
So...

BOTH of the Heli-coils pulled right out.

IMO take a look at the calculations on the torque applied wrt helicoil thread diameter to make extra sure you are not over loading that system. It may be a design flaw in that fastening system...just sayin...

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 3:37 PM
IMO take a look at the calculations on the torque applied wrt helicoil thread diameter to make extra sure you are not over loading that system. It may be a design flaw in that fastening system...just sayin...

I think that when I get the new one I'm going to actually just run my 2 longer Allens, and then back them with my ny-locks to keep them from pulling through. It didn't really look bad once I blacked them out, and its 2 ounces of prevention.

Mr.Caketown
05-04-2011, 3:51 PM
Troy is probably busy trying to sue someone again

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 3:58 PM
Troy is probably busy trying to sue someone again

I hadn't heard anything about this? :confused:

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 4:00 PM
because of ^that^ I googled around and found that they were sued by ARMS.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/08/03/a-r-m-s-inc-wins-trade-secret-lawsuit-against-troy-industries/

Mr.Caketown
05-04-2011, 4:01 PM
I hadn't heard anything about this? :confused:

They went after SAMSON and i think Magpul not too long ago , then they had their issues with Larue

motorwerks
05-04-2011, 4:15 PM
I guess they are trying to make up for the 1.8million loss from A.R.M.S suing them. :D

Mehh whatever. I'm currently working as a legal videograhper I sit and listen to Attorneys every day I've seen over 300 lawsuits for total bull****, and its all really none of my business.

I have everything I need from them right now and its going to be a while before I need anything else so I'm not sure I care about their lawsuits.

PS I dislike this job (but it pays well and affords me to be able to build guns and play home gunsmith, along with raising me kids at home most of the time) and if my back ever gets fixed I hope to be back on an Ambulance.

motorwerks
05-05-2011, 3:17 PM
Well.... I haven't been home yet to check it out but my mom (who is watching my kids) says I have a package already this morning. :D

motorwerks
05-05-2011, 8:47 PM
Ok so problem solved. When I got home I had a couple minutes I threw on the new one and all's good to go. If it gives out and decides to crap out again. I'll just go ahead and back it. For now it seems to be good. I'm going to try and get out to the Range soon so Ill try to take a picture or two.

rareair
05-05-2011, 9:24 PM
Good to see Troy take care of this unfortunate situation. I'm expecting to receive my Troy TRX for my .308 build tomorrow according to the UPS.com tracking number. I'll be sure to be gentle on tightening up those (2) Allen screws

OutlawDon
05-05-2011, 9:33 PM
Yes everyone, GENTLE on the screws.

I did them too hard and backed out both helicoils. Returned to Troy, but took about a month for the turnaround time. Good service but way longer than I wanted.

It's all good now and love my TRX handguard.

But again, just tighten but not too much.

motorwerks
05-05-2011, 9:46 PM
Yeah I just snugged them up a little... then would twist it. If it moved I'd start over till I was both hands on the rail, receivers between my legs twisting with everything I have. Its not going anywhere.