PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my FAL

cornholio1
11-26-2006, 8:39 PM
I am finally posting pics of my FAL. I have been asked to do it before, but I didn't have the time. I wanted to scope/sight her in first. The recoil is so smooth on it. I got lots of attention and comments at the gun range. I even met some new people there. I think the Range master doesn't like me bringing military style rifles tho. He always give me the evil eye and a little attitude. Enjoy

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/FALCALGUNS05.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/FALCALGUNS03.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/FALCALGUNS02.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/FALCALGUNS01.jpg

ivanimal
11-26-2006, 8:45 PM
Nice FAL, what range do they give you grief at? I take my black rifles to USI, Chabot and San Leandro without a hitch.

BigMac
11-26-2006, 8:49 PM
Nice..

All the ranges I go to have no issues at all with black guns. As a matter of fact, if anyone gives me grief about a gun they are the ones likely to get asked to leave at any of the ranges I frequent.

cornholio1
11-26-2006, 8:49 PM
I'd rather not say at the moment because I know a lot of people go there in SoCal. But he came around (and its not usual for him to walk because hes such a huge and very sedative man) and checked out my AR and FAL and told me to lock the action open and I told him, it is, and then he told me I have to show it (he never asks anybody else but me). Even the guy next to me thought it was peculiar. He gave me some attitude about an AK last time too.

M24
11-26-2006, 8:56 PM
Nice Fal. Was it hard to build (assuming you built that)?

cornholio1
11-26-2006, 9:03 PM
Nice Fal. Was it hard to build (assuming you built that)?

Thank you. I got a lot of those comments at the range! It seems to be a very likeable rifle. The stripped receiver is a 30-60 day wait from DSA and was $325 and the parts kit from Gunpartsguy (includes all the necessary US made parts) was $450 shipped (18" barrel was extra).

I thought GPG (gunpartsguy) was cool at first, but then we got into it because he didn't include a locking shoulder (not even an oversized one) although his advertisement says its a complete kit minus the mag and lower receiver. He told me they stopped doing it to save a buck. I was still kinda upset and he says I was taking food out of kids mouth and I told him, I work for a living like anyone else.

The kit was fine. I also bought a 5th generation scope mount from him and it didn't fit and his e-mail implied that I abused it (when I never even fired the gun). He seems pleasant upfront, but won't stand behind his products very well. He does an "okay" job, but I'll look elsewhere next time.

TonyNorCal
11-26-2006, 9:03 PM
Nice looking rifle:) . Did you build it?

In my opinion range masters should concern themselves more with range safety.

vrylak
11-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Very nice.

How's the fit with the DSA? Did GpG let you know if that's an imbel kit?

Thanks for sharing.

HKforte
11-28-2006, 10:30 AM
very nice!

cornholio1
11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Very nice.

How's the fit with the DSA? Did GpG let you know if that's an imbel kit?

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. It fits perfect. I am not sure which kit this is, but its pretty damn good. My FAL builder says he always has problems with Enterpise receivers and even had problems with their latest release, but not one problem with a DSA. In his opinion, the DSA is the best. Imbel is the same but you pay for the name and they are harder to get and more expensive, plus it doesn't count as one US part.

dhl
11-28-2006, 5:07 PM
Maybe the Range Master was jealous or suffering from 'I don't have one of those' envy. I'm sure you've offered to let him shoot your military rifles, haven't you? That might mollify him to some degree; next thing you know you're buddies and you end up working there part time eyeing people with rifles you don't have!

ghost
11-28-2006, 5:12 PM
nice rifle.makes me want to go out and get one too!

rorschach
11-29-2006, 1:28 AM
Pryde thats a beautiful weapon. Where did you get that parts kit? Did the wooden stock come with it??

Schweeet!!!

wheelgunner
11-29-2006, 6:57 AM
Nice Rifles!

Cornholio1, how is your mag fixed? I am currently on 10 day wait for receiver and I was thinking of the set screw through the mag catch.

cornholio1
11-29-2006, 7:58 AM
Nice Rifles!

Cornholio1, how is your mag fixed? I am currently on 10 day wait for receiver and I was thinking of the set screw through the mag catch.

Mine has the setscrew with the magcatch. I also have a spare mag catch w/o the setscrew that came with the kit. I think I bought it off someone off calguns here but I forget who.

Rumpled
11-29-2006, 9:08 AM
I decided to go with an entreprise because AFAIK they are the only FAL outfit that offers custom serial numbers: since I had a matching kit I wanted a matching numbered G1 marked receiver.

A suggestion for anyone who wants to go the other way. Rich at CGW had listed a price for changing kit serial numbers to match receiver if you want. Others may do this as well.

cornholio1
11-29-2006, 9:19 AM
My buddy wants a FAl so I called Larry to see if he does custom builds, but he doesn't. He did have a customer who built an Enterprise FAL and didn't want it. I asked him how much and he said 1200, and I said no thanks. For that price I'd go with a brand new FAL from DSA.

JPglee1
11-29-2006, 9:19 AM
Mine has the setscrew with the magcatch. I also have a spare mag catch w/o the setscrew that came with the kit. I think I bought it off someone off calguns here but I forget who.

We're gonna be offering FAL mag locks very soon, for a VERY reasonable price :D

As soon as the next order of magazines is filled, we're gonna use some of the revenues generated to start offering other products finally.

One of the first to be "new" is the FAL mag locks.

100% legal and definitely takes a tool to remove. No chance of an overzealous LEO removing your setscrew on your OLL in hopes of getting you "caught"

The threaded set screw releases scare me from a legal standpoint because they are still a mag release, just modified to be a lock. Our design is designed and intended to be a lock and CANNOT be made to be a release.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/jpglee1/Fal2a.jpg
Mag lock on left

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/jpglee1/fal4.jpg
View of mag lock from bottom of receiver (does not protrude from receiver)

We will be taking orders soon. If you're interested send a PM to "RSSSLVR" titled "FAL MAG LOCK"

We're hoping for a price under $20.00. They are labor intensive to make by hand, so we're hoping to get a CNC shop to make them, but initially they will all be hand made. The price will hopefully come down with following runs.

We got lots of products to release, and only limited capital to work with (read: we work on cash) Investors wanted, lol.

JP

-hanko
11-29-2006, 1:30 PM
100% legal and definitely takes a tool to remove. No chance of an overzealous LEO removing your setscrew on your OLL in hopes of getting you "caught"

The threaded set screw releases scare me from a legal standpoint because they are still a mag release, just modified to be a lock. Our design is designed and intended to be a lock and CANNOT be made to be a release.

We're hoping for a price under $20.00. They are labor intensive to make by hand, so we're hoping to get a CNC shop to make them, but initially they will all be hand made. The price will hopefully come down with following runs.

JP
Looks like simply cutting the upper end off an existing mag catch will get you the same thing. You can also replace the mag release spring with a roll pin or piece of dowel pin stock to get the same result. I've done a few for customers using the allen screw w/ brazing rod or a bit of mig over the screw.

-hanko