PDA

View Full Version : New CZ P-01 Help

bluebum
05-03-2011, 4:15 PM
Hey guys! I picked up a new CZ P-01 last Monday and couldn't be happier. BUT...I have a couple issues with the pistol that I was hoping to get some advice on from the CZ guys on this board.

Issue #1 Finish on the barrel
When I took my CZ home to clean and lube, I noticed some really rough finish marks on the barrel. It looks like someone took a hand grinder to it. Anyone else's P-01 look like this? Should I contact CZ-USA for this issue?

Issue #2 Finish on Trigger After 200 Rounds
So I decided that the barrel wasn't going to be too big of a problem so I took the P-01 out to the range the next day and put 200 rounds of Walmart UMC and WWB ammo through it. I had 2 FTF's, but I attributed the malfunction to the breaking in of the gun. Overall, I was very happy with my range session. When I got home to clean the gun, I noticed that the black finish on the trigger was scratching off. I know that this is purely cosmetic, but it bothers me that this would happen after only 200 rounds. Anyone else have this issue?

Here's a pic of the P-01

I am happy with my purchase, but these two issues are bothering me. Please advise on what I should do. Thanks.

iareConfusE
05-03-2011, 4:19 PM
All normal. CZ's aren't well known for their super awesome internal finishing. They're made to be rugged, reliable, and awesome guns; and in that regard they have succeeded. Use the pistol as it was intended. It isn't a safe queen, it doesn't need to be babied.

railroader
05-03-2011, 5:09 PM
The trigger finish is going to wear but I would call CZ and tell them you are going to email them pics of your barrel. I'm on my 3rd cz75 and I also have a witness 9mm I just got and none of have barrels that look like that. The barrel might work but so what it looks like crap. Also if decide to sell the gun that will not help resale. Mark

glockmeister
05-03-2011, 5:13 PM
The barrel of my sp01 isn't like that either. As mentioned above, email them a photo and they may replace it.

wang949
05-03-2011, 5:22 PM
Congrats on your new CZ. How do you like it?

bluebum
05-03-2011, 5:52 PM
All normal. CZ's aren't well known for their super awesome internal finishing. They're made to be rugged, reliable, and awesome guns; and in that regard they have succeeded. Use the pistol as it was intended. It isn't a safe queen, it doesn't need to be babied.

Yea, I definately intend on using this pistol. I was concerned because I used to own a CZ-75B and the barrel was nice and smooth all the way around.

Congrats on your new CZ. How do you like it?

I'm happy with my purchase but I need to put more rounds downrange to make a real judgement. This is my second CZ so I knew what I was getting :D; though this is my first pistol with a decocker. The trigger needs to be broken-in (especially DA pull) and the factory sites can be brighter, but like everyone attests to, the ergos are fantastic. I'm still getting used to the decocker and I really suck at firing DA first round and SA subsequent rounds. BTW any tips would be appreciated. :confused:

SIGman Freud
05-03-2011, 6:03 PM
I'd be pretty miffed about that barrel. Contact CZ ASAP and e-mail them photos. That's not normal on a normally high-quality (and reputable) manufacturer.

zfields
05-03-2011, 6:37 PM
that barrel is very odd. Call them

Trigger is normal. The finish they use isnt anything special. Just thick paint, not very wear resistant IMO.

bluebum
05-03-2011, 6:47 PM
The trigger finish is going to wear but I would call CZ and tell them you are going to email them pics of your barrel. I'm on my 3rd cz75 and I also have a witness 9mm I just got and none of have barrels that look like that. The barrel might work but so what it looks like crap. Also if decide to sell the gun that will not help resale. Mark

The barrel of my sp01 isn't like that either. As mentioned above, email them a photo and they may replace it.

I'd be pretty miffed about that barrel. Contact CZ ASAP and e-mail them photos. That's not normal on a normally high-quality (and reputable) manufacturer.

[QUOTE=zfields;6326791]that barrel is very odd. Call them

Just sent them a email with pics. Hope CZ customer service pulls through.

evolixsurf
05-03-2011, 6:50 PM
yep, looks way to crude to me... I would send those pics to them right away.

JeremyS
05-04-2011, 3:29 PM
I don't think that would ever be any sort of issue mechanically, but it isn't super appealing aesthetically. My SP-01 is better, but not perfectly smooth or anything. The machining work like this isn't exactly beautiful on the CZ.

I've put maybe 500 rounds through mine though, and the trigger has similar wear on the right side just like in your pics. Actually, a bit less than yours but in the same place. None on the left side.

...they're both aesthetic-only things $0.02...

nimbus
05-04-2011, 3:53 PM
I'd call CZ about the barell. Not supposed to be like that. Also CZs don't like UMC ammo. My only 2 FTFs in my sp01 were from UMC. Something with inconsistent cartridge lengths.

Your trigger wear is normal. Enjoy your p01! It's my next purchase.

iareConfusE
05-04-2011, 4:37 PM
I'd call CZ about the barell. Not supposed to be like that. Also CZs don't like UMC ammo. My only 2 FTFs in my sp01 were from UMC. Something with inconsistent cartridge lengths.

Your trigger wear is normal. Enjoy your p01! It's my next purchase.

Ehh not completely true. My CZ P-01 LOVED UMC. Never had a single failure of any sort using any kind of ammo with my P-01, actually.

HPGunner
05-04-2011, 4:42 PM
Same here, my barrel on my P-01 has an almost polished stainless finish and does not have such drastic machining marks on it like yours. I'll go home tonight and will take some pictures and confirm, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't look like that.

The rest of the frame is aluminum with a black finish which is fairly durable, but not immune to chips and wear marks. I have a chip on my slide rail that annoys me but I've used some black touch up paint from Birchwood Casey that made it less noticable.

Awsome gun though. I love it. I'm looking to get the bigger all steel SP-01 later in the future.

HPGunner
05-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Here's what my barrel looks like. It's not the best finished barrel, but it's not bad either. I wasn't able to get a great close up without getting my SLR out of the closet.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_rsbQ-OilKB4/TcI_Z9sYxhI/AAAAAAAAB0A/WbpvLVnJzQ4/s800/DSCN2581.JPG

MRpink
05-04-2011, 11:49 PM
1) For reference, that particular portion on my barrel is smoother/cleaner, I'd consider contacting CZ.

2) Completely normal.

bluebum
05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I contacted CZ-USA warranty center and they told me to send it back to them. I'm a little bummed because I'm going to have to shell out ~$75 to have this gun shipped out to them. Oh well... hoping my barrel is "prettier" when i get it back.

railroader
05-05-2011, 5:47 PM
I contacted CZ-USA warranty center and they told me to send it back to them. I'm a little bummed because I'm going to have to shell out ~$75 to have this gun shipped out to them. Oh well... hoping my barrel is "prettier" when i get it back.

Ask them for a shipping label since the gun is new or ask them if you can just ship the slide and the barrel.

VickG818
05-05-2011, 8:26 PM
If you want a very nice barrel check out this guy he does great work.This is mine

http://czswithjeweledbarrels.shutterfly.com/pictures/25#26
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/lex818420/50057107.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/lex818420/dae2e217.jpg

zfields
05-06-2011, 9:26 AM
While you at it, get a gold saftey,slide stop, and mag release....

sent from my Damn phone, so deal with the spelling errors.

shooterdude
05-06-2011, 9:41 AM

I agree here. I have purchased 3 CZ's over the years and they are all a bit rough in the cosmetic department. They shoot really well and that is what matters to me. These are combat guns NOT "nickel plated sissy pistols" as Tommy Lee Jones said in one of his movies.

CZ coats their barrels in some kind of finish to prevent corrosion that makes it look mottled...this is normal. If you polish or machine it to make it pretty you are removing something designed to protect the barrel.

The P-01 is an excellent tool not a museum showpiece.

bluebum
05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
CZ -USA has been great so far. They told me to send the complete pistol back and they also sent me a Fed-Ex label so I didn't have to pay for shipping or insurance. I'll post an update once I get it back.

bluebum
05-26-2011, 4:25 PM
I sent out my P-01 to CZ-USA on 5/6/11 and got it back yesterday. It looks like they either replaced the barrel or had someone smooth it out. I am very happy with the results and CZ-USA could not have been any more helpful.

Here are the results:

And finally a shot of the pistol

Thank you Calguns for the advise!

HCz
05-26-2011, 4:34 PM
Hope you have great time with it!

Ninja45
05-27-2011, 2:30 PM
You will love it after you run 1000 rounds thru it. It will smooth out and shoot even better! I love mine so much I got me another one in OD!