PDA

View Full Version : What gun killed Osama bin laden?

Skunk2Racer
05-03-2011, 3:47 PM
I know the Seals carry Sig P226 NAVY 9mm. They also said double tap, center mass & head shot, handgun right? You guys from the military ESP Special Forces. What are your thoughts?

Marsoc1
05-03-2011, 3:49 PM
honestly i think it woulda been a MK18 mod 1, going secondary sounds more like execution

barca101
05-03-2011, 3:51 PM
It looks like they did a mozambique drill on Osama, 2 in the chest, and 1 in the head. Practice makes perfect I always say.

gorenut
05-03-2011, 3:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it was one of their primaries rather than their sidearm/backup.

ArkinDomino
05-03-2011, 4:05 PM
I heard they were armed with Stag Model 2's and gold plated Taurus 1911s.

sdjetpilot
05-03-2011, 4:08 PM
I'm intrigued why it was an order to kill (and not capture) from the start. Obl was unarmed and so were the other 17/22 personnel in the compound. Not saying he didn't deserve it but it's not usually the sop.

Laser Sailor
05-03-2011, 4:08 PM
Golden DEAGLE!

PandaLuv
05-03-2011, 4:09 PM
I have my money on MP5 or it's varriations

JTROKS
05-03-2011, 4:10 PM
Does it really matter what round or gun killed that SOB goat chaser? It's the man behind the trigger that got him. LOL! Supposedly he's sea creature food now. Nest is Ayman al-Zawahiri.

brando
05-03-2011, 4:11 PM
A wise man told me it was a 7.62mm fired from a modular Colt.

D2Shooter
05-03-2011, 4:12 PM
The right one.

5.56Geo
05-03-2011, 4:16 PM
They used a .40cal Baby Jericho.

Bobby Hated
05-03-2011, 4:17 PM
hope it was a Colt 1911. kill that cocksucker with a piece of history.

whatever gun has his kill on it is worth some major money. hope they at least put it on display someday, if not put it up for auction.

tacticalcity
05-03-2011, 4:18 PM
I'm intrigued why it was an order to kill (and not capture) from the start. Obl was unarmed and so were the other 17/22 personnel in the compound. Not saying he didn't deserve it but it's not usually the sop.

There has been a standing Kill or Capture order ever since 9/11. It wasn't that they were ordered to kill him. It was more that his capture not mandatory. If killing him meant less risk to themselves or the mission, so be it. If they could capture him without risk to them selves or the mission they would have done so. It is not like the shooter had forever and a day to identify Osama. It was a split second decision while under threat in the middle of a firefight.

The way you phrase it makes it sound like if Osama and his people had surrendered and were passive they would have been killed anyway. That is not the case. He died because he resisted. His wife is lucky she did not join him. According to the official press release she charged the operator as he came through the door and was shot in the leg. Immediately following that Osama was shot and killed. My guess would be the operator was already revved way up there after the wife charged him, and when her 6ft tall husband reacted to that in an agressive manner the operator (already reved up from just being attacked once in that room and plenty more before getting to that room) shot and killed Osama. I doubt he even knew who the guy was at that point. It sounds like it happened very fast. If they had been laying on their stomachs with their hands behind their heads, Osama would still be alive.

People are used to the way law enforcement SWAT teams would do it and think that is the way a special operations team functions. They are wrong. SWAT teams only fire on ARMED suspects. Non-armed suspects are suposed to be restrained through non-leathal means. That puts the officers at much greater risk. That unarmed bad guy could still harm or kill them. Meanwhile they have seconds to deal with him without firing, and with a big rifle in their hands which they have to maintain control over. It is far from easy or safe. But since they operate on US soil and the people they are engaging are pressumably US citizens we expect them to take that risk. Special operations teams, fire if there is a threat, armed or not. It is a completely different mindset, rulebook and tactics. It has to be...for a laundry list or reasons. Two quick ones would be where they operate and who they are confronting. While the police officers have help just minutes away. The special operations teams are a long way from help if they need it. Plus they are not engaging citizens, they are engaging the enemy. So their rules are shapped by that.

FYI: A good read is, KILL BIN LADEN by Dalton Fury. It is a first hand account of Delta's attempts to Kill or Capture Bin Laden immediately after 9/11 and covers the battle at Tora Bora. It is a great read. Afterwards, it will make complete sense why Bin Laden got away. Every time they turned around Politics got in the way. Fascinating read.

nick562
05-03-2011, 4:19 PM
i think it may be the 458 socom
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/navy-seal-team-weapons-gadgets-capture-osama-bin/story?id=13520401

PandaLuv
05-03-2011, 4:22 PM

whatever gun has his kill on it is worth some major money. hope they at least put it on display someday, if not put it up for auction.

nope, last time I checked , 1911 hasn't been in service since 1985

brando
05-03-2011, 4:23 PM
nope, last time I checked , 1911 hasn't been in service since 1985

Small numbers were in use up to about 2007 by JSOC elements.

fong0067
05-03-2011, 4:24 PM
I heard it was a .22lr:D

PandaLuv
05-03-2011, 4:25 PM
Small numbers were in use up to about 2007 by JSOC elements.

still though, most of the NAVY SEALS went with p226 in 9mm. Either way, I doubt navy seals went shooting their sidearms

echang86
05-03-2011, 4:26 PM
Colt CM901. I was shocked to read that. Didn't even know it was fielded.
http://kitup.military.com/2011/05/the-weapons-that-killed-bin-laden.html

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/CM901.jpg

kTC xDEICIDEx
05-03-2011, 4:26 PM
What! Nobody had said Glock yet! lol

jermzzzzzzz
05-03-2011, 4:29 PM
SEALS are too classy for glocks.

MrPlink
05-03-2011, 4:29 PM
more than likely a Mk18. The odds of it being a handgun, begs the question of how bad did something get botched that resulted in use of 2ndary weapons?

Heiko
05-03-2011, 4:31 PM
What! Nobody had said Glock yet! lol

Yeah, from the Arizona Killing Machine to The Osama Killer: What a turn around for Glock PR. :D

_4_
05-03-2011, 4:36 PM
Its SEALs not seals, seal, or SEALS. Who cares what he was shot with or by who or why he was killed when he wasn't armed. As far as I'm concerned he was armed with his ideals and influence over young minds to commit harm to innocence.

That being said, it was probably just a simple M4, made in America.

supersonic
05-03-2011, 4:36 PM
I heard they were armed with Stag Model 2's and gold plated Taurus 1911s.

No, no, no, I sure they all had TIER 1 carbines.;)

Lead Waster
05-03-2011, 4:37 PM
I think the mission objective was to kill him, not capture him. A captured OBL is a boat load of trouble. People would be kidnapped all over the place, hostages would be killed until his release, etc, etc. This way he's just dead, nothing to negotiate over, no cause to rally behind.

I'm sure the seals didn't accidentally shoot him or freak out, these guys are the ultimate pros, if they kill you, they meant to.

We'll likely never know WHO killed him, or with what weapon and really, it's irrelevant. It wasn't just one guy met up with OBL at the OK corral and they had a gun fight. It took years of work from thousands of servicemen/women, CIA, informants, etc, etc, etc to get him. It's a disservice to everyone to say that one guy killed him, they all got him.

supersonic
05-03-2011, 4:39 PM

^I wonder how long this post will last. Quick, cover all the sensitive eyes!!!!!!!!:eek: