PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Army Selects Gen4 Glock 17's and Glock 26's

ianS
05-03-2011, 2:49 PM
Looks like the Swiss are getting on board the Glock train too. I wonder who the other candidates were?
I also read in the lastest Glock annual they've manufactured 8 million Glocks so far. Looks like they'll be making more.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/05/03/swiss-army-selects-glock-as-new-service-pistol/

Trigger42
05-03-2011, 3:02 PM
Being made of plastic, its cheaper to make.

gorenut
05-03-2011, 3:04 PM
Heard this over a month ago, but I guess this solidifies it. I wonder if losing these contracts will pressure Sig Sauer to develop a striker-fired polymer that is competitive with the great choices we have now. Even H&K seem to be going this route and their next is supposed to be a striker-fired gun. Interesting times for handgun owners indeed.

c.j.
05-03-2011, 3:06 PM
Interesting. Guess I'm a little surprised at a 26 as a service pistol.

Josh3239
05-03-2011, 3:08 PM
Interesting. Guess I'm a little surprised at a 26 as a service pistol.

Me too. I wonder what they are going to use that for. Maybe issued to women?

ianS
05-03-2011, 3:19 PM
Heard this over a month ago, but I guess this solidifies it. I wonder if losing these contracts will pressure Sig Sauer to develop a striker-fired polymer that is competitive with the great choices we have now. Even H&K seem to be going this route and their next is supposed to be a striker-fired gun. Interesting times for handgun owners indeed.

Maybe. But it'll be about as exciting to hear as when they announced they were gonna start making 1911's. Actually less. People had a higher opinion of SIG Sauer back then.

gorenut
05-03-2011, 3:23 PM
Maybe. But it'll be about as exciting to hear as when they announced they were gonna start making 1911's. Actually less. People had a higher opinion of SIG Sauer back then.

That is also true.. but a 1911 is a 1911.. some better than others.. minor changes...

This is more of a chance for them to come up with something new and something that might have a heads-up vs the competition instead of what they've been doing lately - redressing their existing guns with bling. Though I could see them go the other route and not compete with government contracts and focus more on the high-end civilian market.

Heiko
05-03-2011, 3:28 PM
I like that Sigs are different than Glocks. I own both and appreciate the good qualities of each but prefer the Sig grip angle and overall feel. I think it's important for there to be variety amongst manufacturers so people (we) have choices.

I wonder if the G26 was selected for flight crew and armored crews? It does seem like a strange choice versus a G19.

gorenut
05-03-2011, 3:37 PM
I like that Sigs are different than Glocks. I own both and appreciate the good qualities of each but prefer the Sig grip angle and overall feel. I think it's important for there to be variety amongst manufacturers so people (we) have choices.

I wonder if the G26 was selected for flight crew and armored crews? It does seem like a strange choice versus a G19.

I agree with you, but at the same time, I dunno how difficult it would be for Sig to stay afloat at their current rate if they keep losing government contracts. I'm not going to pretend I know their numbers, so I'll let someone else chime in if they know for certain.

ianS
05-03-2011, 4:19 PM
That is also true.. but a 1911 is a 1911.. some better than others.. minor changes...

This is more of a chance for them to come up with something new and something that might have a heads-up vs the competition instead of what they've been doing lately - redressing their existing guns with bling. Though I could see them go the other route and not compete with government contracts and focus more on the high-end civilian market.

My comment was a general swipe at SIG Sauer today. Nothing they've come up with in the last 15 years has been very impressive. Not necessarily in terms of concept but in terms of execution.

This is more of a chance for them to come up with something new

Not sure what you mean by "chance". They always had a "chance" since they do seem to invest in a lot in R&D and exploring new markets/products. The fact that more military organizations are becoming comfortable with striker fired/no manual safety/easier to shoot consistent trigger/no external hammer/polymer handguns (as LEO's have) means SIG Sauer will feel more "compelled" to come up with one of their own to compete alongside XD and M&P's. That goes for everyone else.

gorenut
05-03-2011, 4:21 PM
Not sure what you mean by "chance". They always had a "chance" since they do seem to invest in a lot in R&D and exploring new markets/products. The fact that more military organizations are becoming comfortable with striker fired/no manual safety/polymer handguns (as LEO's have) means SIG Sauer will feel more "compelled" to come up with one of their own to compete alongside XD and M&P's.

What I meant, but you worded it better than me.

As a side note, Sigforum is having the same discussion and another member brought up:
"Rumor has it that was supposed to be the XD/HS2000 until they sold the design to the Croatians. The fact it uses Sig Sauer sights, a Sig-style takedown lever, Sig-style internal safety, sear spring, and a few other minor details point very strongly in that direction. It was even introduced around the same time as the Sig Pro, making me thing the two were competing designs and the Sig Pro won out. "

Not sure how much truth is behind this.

ianS
05-03-2011, 4:25 PM
What I meant, but you worded it better than me.

As a side note, Sigforum is having the same discussion and another member brought up:
"Rumor has it that was supposed to be the XD/HS2000 until they sold the design to the Croatians. The fact it uses Sig Sauer sights, a Sig-style takedown lever, Sig-style internal safety, sear spring, and a few other minor details point very strongly in that direction. It was even introduced around the same time as the Sig Pro, making me thing the two were competing designs and the Sig Pro won out. "

Not sure how much truth is behind this.

Another thing. Why bother with a SIG Sauer-Glock like pistol? You have two excellent choices right now. Glocks and S&W M&P's. It'll take years for whatever they come up with to prove itself as good as they are. It'll take years for it to work out whatever bugs/teething pains any new handgun goes through. Glocks are well vetted and M&P's vetted enough and they are different enough from each other to give people a choice. Any company that comes out with a Glock-like pistol now will likely be fighting over the scraps.

Or simply the XD is a hodge podge of design and engineering cues of a Glock and a SIG Sauer that the Croatians came up with. Which is what I thought when I first saw the HS2000. SIG Sauer would have come up with something a bit more consistent looking in terms of design instead of something that looks like bits and parts of two pistols put together. Or maybe SIG Sauer did come up with it but when they saw S&W getting sued by Glock over the Sigma at the time they got cold feet and decided to dump it. Speculation can go on and on. Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda.

gorenut
05-03-2011, 4:36 PM
Understand where you're coming from and chances are.. if they do a poly striker.. they probably will just make something Glock or M&P-like. Last time they tried to get really "innovative" - they did far less than stellar (P250). However, I'd like to stay optimistic and think with more heads in the game.. something possibly refreshing will come about and succeed. In either case, when these companies compete, I think plenty of benefits are to be reaped by gun buyers.

ianS
05-03-2011, 4:53 PM
However, I'd like to stay optimistic and think with more heads in the game.. something possibly refreshing will come about and succeed. In either case, when these companies compete, I think plenty of benefits are to be reaped by gun buyers.

They've always been hampered by trying to make their polymer pistols SIG Sauer-like. Whether it was the SP2340 or P250. They need to really think out of their comfort zone to simply come out with something that is close to what a Glock or M&P is. They need to stop pandering to their SIG Sauer fan base and think of the larger market share out there. In any case they will probably try to make something similar hoping it'll sell and get them Gov't contracts again.

paul0660
05-03-2011, 5:03 PM
The Swiss.........price was a factor and they never use them. A close second place was Hi Point.

subrosa
05-03-2011, 5:07 PM
Maybe due to lower cost everyone gets 2 pistols! :D

ianS
05-03-2011, 5:16 PM
The Swiss.........price was a factor and they never use them. A close second place was Hi Point.

Yeah, that's what it was. Thanks for the clever insight.

evolixsurf
05-03-2011, 6:21 PM
Me too. I wonder what they are going to use that for. Maybe issued to women?

Helloooo, its meant to be concealed... Undercover. Plain clothes.

paul0660
05-03-2011, 6:25 PM
Yeah, that's what it was. Thanks for the clever insight.

It is for the swiss ARMY. Read their history. Depending on the font, it might go to two pages.

Josh3239
05-03-2011, 6:27 PM
Helloooo, its meant to be concealed... Undercover. Plain clothes.

Why would the Army need concealed carry?

zfields
05-03-2011, 6:35 PM
Why would the Army need concealed carry?

Swiss black ops...duh

hcbr
05-03-2011, 6:37 PM
if you read both the Glock 17 and the Glock 26 will be deployed. I guess the smaller 26 will be use for other users (i.e. women, security detail , concealment, spec ops etc. ) either way, they're using the 17 probably for standard to all

stix213
05-03-2011, 6:39 PM
But California told me the Gen4 is unsafe.....

fuenstock
05-03-2011, 7:16 PM

I got my un-california approved G4 17 a couple days ago, its a winner! Dead accurate and zero malfunctions so far in 500 rounds. They made a good choice.

Sam
05-03-2011, 7:49 PM

Actually, California thinks it's unsafe for regular citizens. It appears the Swiss Army believes differently.