PDA

View Full Version : Custom Engraving of a Lower

SGTKane
05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I picked up my .308 lower from SBR on Monday. I could have picked it up on Sunday, but I was driving back from Oregon and was in that "just drive and get it over with" zone. It can be argued that my lower's birthday was either May 1st (the day bin Laden joined the ranks of the zombies in the US), or May 2nd (the day bin Laden joined the ranks of the zombies in Pakistan) and as such I'd like to get some custom engraving work done on it

Before I get all excited about doing it, under the current law, because the lower is considered a firearm I would have to transfer this to someone (via FFL) have them do the work and then transfer it back. Is this correct?

LeatherNuts
05-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I'll assume from the name your military? Where are you located?

Josh3239
05-03-2011, 12:56 PM
If the person has an FFL it can be shipped or mailed to them. If the person doesn't have an FFL you must physically be there. Though I am not sure how loaning fits into it, since loaning is actually legal.

Some good companies:
Spikes Tactical
Quentin Laser
Ident Marking
Orion Arms
Hartford Engraving
JD Machine

LeatherNuts
05-03-2011, 1:12 PM
I posted this on the Service members side, but any of you active or retired guys that live near 29 Palms there are two laser engravers at the wood hobby shop on base that can laser etch your lowers. It's not engraving like your serial numbers, but more like the punisher skull that spikes does on the sides of some of their lowers. Anything you can draw, bring in on disk, or thumbdrive can be done. The tech there charges 1.25 a minute and I would bet based on other projects I've had done there you're probably looking at 5-10 minutes.

SGTKane
05-03-2011, 1:14 PM
Thanks, I've got a JD Machine lower on my AR15 and so I know they do quality work and I like supporting CA gun shops as much as possible so they'll be my first choice I think.

And LN, yeah I'm in the Reserves, and responded to your PM.

LeatherNuts
05-03-2011, 1:23 PM
http://www.mccs29palms.com/pages/gymsrec/woodHobby.html

navy_doc1
05-03-2011, 2:49 PM
This is great. I'm heading down 29 Palms soon.