View Full Version : Midwest industries rails out of spec?

05-03-2011, 11:48 AM
hey everyone,
So I recently watched a youtube video where someone tried to put a tango down (non qd) vert grip on a midwest industries rail, but said it would not fit because the rails where out of spec. Im running the MI mctar-17 rails, and just ordered a tango down stubby last night (before i saw the video). Any thoughts or personal experiance with the tango down stubby and midwest indurstries rails?

05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I had the same issue with magpul xtm panels on a MW ind rail. They wouldn't snap in together. I returned that junk right away and got a DD lite rail from calguns

05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Most manufacturers rails are spec'd a little different. I have seen things fit on one and not the other.

05-03-2011, 1:23 PM
Is the the gen 1 Midwest Industries rail or gen 2? I plan on getting the Gen 2 and have accessories to put on it. If it's out of specs... I'll opt for paying a bit more for DD omega.

05-03-2011, 1:31 PM
nothing is known until it happens.

Sun Tzu

05-03-2011, 1:34 PM
About a year ago I bought a MI t12 from the marketplace here and a td vfg wouldn't fit. I looked up the specs for a 1913 rail and sure enough, it was about .003 larger than the upper end of spec. The td grip was on the tight end of the range. I got in touch with MI and they told me that a batch of rails had been milled to spec without accounting for anodizing, which put them over. They sent me a new (and in spec) one. A year later, I'm still happy with its performance. Ymmv.

05-03-2011, 1:54 PM
"Plan for what is difficult when it is easy."
-Sun Tzu
Thats cool of MI to replace your rail. I just bought mine a few months ago, so hopfully it is part of the new batches. If not, i think id rather just spend an extra 30 bucks for the QD model instead of getting a new rail because i dont really use the rails besides my vert grip anyway. I really just wanted a free floating barrel. Thanks for all the help guys