PDA

View Full Version : New Sig P226, problem with slide lock back on empty

Kodemonkey
05-03-2011, 9:21 AM
So my wife is picking up her new Sig P226 stainless (German frame) gun today after work. The place we bought it at will let us shoot the gun while it is still in jail and so we did on Sunday.

Problem is, the slide won't lock back on either magazine when empty. Everything else fits and functions flawlessly so I told her keep putting rounds through it - maybe it just needs a little breaking in. Put 200-300 rounds through it. It still will not lock back on empty - every time on either mag.

Bring it in, show the salesmen and he tried magazines from other guns and still no joy. He questioned if the Sig 10 round USA mags might be the issue with a German frame but he would have someone look at it. These are metal sig mags and they are stamped as such. This is a very reputable dealer and he was really surprised. He said; "This is just not something you see with Sigs, you spend that kind of money and you are paying for quality. I own several, It's got to be the mags."

It does appear the CA legal mags are a little short. They do make contact with the slide stop when empty but just not enough to make it lock.

We are buying it anyway, because a full stainless Sig p226 in a German frame is a little hard to come by - and my wife has never been so excited about a gun before in her life.

Any advice? or just have it sent to Sig and have them fix it? Or can I get an exemption on high caps? (j/k)

jedininja
05-03-2011, 9:24 AM
If this is a new gun under warranty, send it in to sig. Should not be a problem.

chadd446
05-03-2011, 9:27 AM
I bought a new 226 in Jan. My sig came with four mags, and the slide won't lock back on any of them. Not to mention the trigger bar broke on the two hundredth round also damaging the slide release. Sig was great about fixing the problem. Had the gun back in one week. Slide still does not lock back. Good luck.

Kodemonkey
05-03-2011, 9:29 AM
I bought a new 226 in Jan. My sig came with four mags, and the slide won't lock back on any of them. Not to mention the trigger bar broke on the two hundredth round also damaging the slide release. Sig was great about fixing the problem. Had the gun back in one week. Slide still does not lock back. Good luck.

ugh. That's not promising.

n0xname
05-03-2011, 9:32 AM
I got a sig 226 navy.....came with 3 factory ca mags...they work great.....only issues I've had are with aftermarket mags

gorenut
05-03-2011, 9:37 AM
Have you guys checked how you are gripping the gun? If you're gripping it with the standard thumbs forward, your thumb(s) may be getting in the way of the slide catch. All my Sigs are prone to this. I had the same problem and another member (9mmepiphany) posted pics of how he had his upper thumb on his support hand (thumbs almost pointed outwards, but still forwards) rather than on the gun itself. Ever since, no Sigs I've fired suffered from that issue.

PS: Please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to claim you're a newbie or anything and I'm guessing there may very well be something wrong with the gun.. but I personally experienced the same with my Sig so I thought I'd share my experience in hopes that it might save you the trouble of shipping the Sig back.

Kodemonkey
05-03-2011, 9:55 AM
Have you guys checked how you are gripping the gun? If you're gripping it with the standard thumbs forward, your thumb(s) may be getting in the way of the slide catch. All my Sigs are prone to this. I had the same problem and another member (9mmepiphany) posted pics of how he had his upper thumb on his support hand (thumbs almost pointed outwards, but still forwards) rather than on the gun itself. Ever since, no Sigs I've fired suffered from that issue.

PS: Please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to claim you're a newbie or anything and I'm guessing there may very well be something wrong with the gun.. but I personally experienced the same with my Sig so I thought I'd share my experience in hopes that it might save you the trouble of shipping the Sig back.

Not offended. Actually it's the same thing the salesperson said at first. And he said he did it for months with his own Sig. But both of us had the problem and neither of us were riding the slide release (I can see how that could be easy to do, but not with our grip - thumbs in the air to the left not coming in contact with the gun - standard grip they taught me at Front Sight).

Every time you put an empty mag in, pull the slide back and it should catch. We tested it inside and it's not even coming close to catching - it slings forward every time. With both mags and even another mag from one of the p226 black anodized guns in the case.

Good advice, but it's not our case on this one.

PandaLuv
05-03-2011, 9:56 AM
^^^^ I agree as well.
Just keep that thumb away from the slide release.

gorenut
05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Ahh, I see. Yea, time to exercise Sig's customer service unless someone else comes up with a better suggestion. Maybe get different followers in the mags? Not sure if this will affect your issue.

ilkhan
05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
As with gorenut, does it lock when you manually cycle the slide with the empty mag?
Thumbs forward grip is great but it does cause lockback issues with some people (they'll hit the slide release during recoil, I've done it myself).

edit: wow replies. Um, yeah, time for sig's service.

Kodemonkey
05-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay, just to bring in some more information I found on other sites.

Looks like it can be:

-Grit or dirt in the slide lock lever. I did field strip it at the range before we shot it, but it was a cursory wipe down with a rem oil wipe. I didn't pay any attention to the slide stop. This caused one guy's problem on a sig forum, but it was after it was in service for awhile. I'm thinking that's not going to be my issue.

-Weak slide lock spring. Again, seems to be a wear item.

-German made frames don't like the 10 round CA compliant followers. This seems to be the closest match to what I think is going on. One person had noticed that the followers on the Sig website even looked different online. I couldn't tell myself, but he said he called Sig customer service and they sent him followers from the high caps and that solved his problem.

One weird thing I noticed is that the mags that came with the gun are all steel and the mags on the Sig sight are 3/4 steel and 1/4 plastic based pad for the block. Similar to the way S&W does it. The high cap mags are all steel. But so were the ones that came out of the other gun in the case. Wondering if they made some recent mag changes as this appears to be a common problem with people in CA.

duc748bip
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
If its not a new gun that could be the case. Slide lock on last round is a pretty simple gadget its not hard to diagnose the problem. so if you hold the slide back while insert a empty mag if the follower don't make contact with any part that look like the slidestop or makes contact but does not activate it. you know where your problem is.

Okay, just to bring in some more information I found on other sites.

Looks like it can be:

-Grit or dirt in the slide lock lever. I did field strip it at the range before we shot it, but it was a cursory wipe down with a rem oil wipe. I didn't pay any attention to the slide stop. This caused one guy's problem on a sig forum, but it was after it was in service for awhile. I'm thinking that's not going to be my issue.

-Weak slide lock spring. Again, seems to be a wear item.

-German made frames don't like the 10 round CA compliant followers. This seems to be the closest match to what I think is going on. One person had noticed that the followers on the Sig website even looked different online. I couldn't tell myself, but he said he called Sig customer service and they sent him followers from the high caps and that solved his problem.

One weird thing I noticed is that the mags that came with the gun are all steel and the mags on the Sig sight are 3/4 steel and 1/4 plastic based pad for the block. Similar to the way S&W does it. The high cap mags are all steel. But so were the ones that came out of the other gun in the case. Wondering if they made some recent mag changes as this appears to be a common problem with people in CA.

nbkvig2
05-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I have a P226 Navy and this happened on my last outting to the range. It has seen about 400 rounds prior to last outting and never had any issue, and slide locked back on empty as it should. However, last outting, for some reason, for about 4-5 mags the slide would not lock back on empty. I've been using the same factory mags and did not change. However, on my last mag for the day, it went back to normal operation and locked back fine. I came home and researched and I'm guessing it was my thumb accidentally resting on the slide lever. I'm going to the range tomorrow and hopefully I can prove that it has been me and not the gun. Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience, if it happens again to me and it's not the way I grip, I'll get in contact with Sig and post up my experience.

Jerry X
05-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I had the same problem with my Sig 226. 2 ways to cure this problem:

1. Use 124gr or stronger ammo
2. Buy a lighter recoil spring

POLICESTATE
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I have a 1993 Sig P228 and 7 Sig factory CA mags for it. They have all worked flawlessly for years but lately I've noticed that on one of the mags it fails to lock on the last round. The spring in that mag seems to be just as strong as the others, one thing I just thought about reading this thread is stripping that mag and cleaning the follower, could be a little dirt or grit or something, OP should consider stripping his mags as well.

Also look for burs on the follower that could be preventing it from going follow up when empty and thus pushing up the slide lock.

One other thing I have experienced on my Sig and a couple other pistols is weak ammo, could not be cycling the slide back far enough to catch on the slide release. I used some target ammo from Remington that were a frangible type and they were really low powered and they would, most of the time, cause the slide not to lock back on the last round. The shell casings would barely eject out of the gun it seemed, not as much pop. Put in regular rounds and everything worked great.

I'd try contacting Sig support first since you're under warranty, failing that I would check the follower in the mag and also try some different ammo.

Kodemonkey
05-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I have a 1993 Sig P228 and 7 Sig factory CA mags for it. They have all worked flawlessly for years but lately I've noticed that on one of the mags it fails to lock on the last round. The spring in that mag seems to be just as strong as the others, one thing I just thought about reading this thread is stripping that mag and cleaning the follower, could be a little dirt or grit or something, OP should consider stripping his mags as well.

Also look for burs on the follower that could be preventing it from going follow up when empty and thus pushing up the slide lock.

One other thing I have experienced on my Sig and a couple other pistols is weak ammo, could not be cycling the slide back far enough to catch on the slide release. I used some target ammo from Remington that were a frangible type and they were really low powered and they would, most of the time, cause the slide not to lock back on the last round. The shell casings would barely eject out of the gun it seemed, not as much pop. Put in regular rounds and everything worked great.

I'd try contacting Sig support first since you're under warranty, failing that I would check the follower in the mag and also try some different ammo.

I'll check that on the followers. I can rule out ammo. If I pull the slide back by hand with an empty mag it won't lock open unless I push up on the slide lock lever.

Low-Pressure
05-03-2011, 11:56 AM
It might need to break in still. And if it is not the way its being held. Try using a different brand of ammo, this was the fixed for my friends P226.

chadd446
05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Never thought about the way I hold the Sig. I may be hitting the slide release lever. I do shoot with both thumbs forward. To many 1911s I guess? I do love my 226. I fits my hands great, and is such a soft shooter. I was heart broken to have her break after so few rounds, but she is good as new. Thanks Sig.

zdragon
05-03-2011, 12:17 PM
both factory Sig mags that came with my W. German P225 wouldn't lock slide back on empty until i swapped them out for brand new extra power Wolf mag springs.

jeffrice6
05-03-2011, 1:19 PM
If you even look at the slide release funny a Sig slide won't lock back.....

sigfan91
05-03-2011, 2:33 PM

But I was looking at it in a very serious manner....:D

gatdammit
05-03-2011, 2:35 PM
I had the same issue with my p229... turns out i was being an idiot and my thumbs were riding too high. I came from shooting an HP soooo...

PandaLuv
05-03-2011, 2:45 PM

LOL

well said.

9mmepiphany
05-03-2011, 3:02 PM
There are a lot of different reasons the slide won't lock back on a CA legal 226...most don't apply here because the OP has said that the slide will not lock back when an empty magazine in inserted and the slide is manually retracted. That should eliminate both grip and ammo...the two most common causes...if it wasn't dirt

Sig factory magazines has been manufactured by Mec-Gar for years, but they recently changed to a domestic manufacturer (I can't think of the name just off-hand) and this might be part of the problem. A quick check is to try it with a older mag

They have had this problem before with their 10-round 229 magazines and, if I remember correctly, the fix is just a change of followers. The other thought is in might be the magazine spring...but that shouldn't happen on a new gun

Just call Sig, tell them you are in CA, have the 10 round magazines and the slide isn't locking back when the slide is retracted manually on an empty magazine...I wouldn't even mention what it does when you shoot it unless they ask

POLICESTATE
05-03-2011, 4:42 PM
Never thought about the way I hold the Sig. I may be hitting the slide release lever. I do shoot with both thumbs forward. To many 1911s I guess? I do love my 226. I fits my hands great, and is such a soft shooter. I was heart broken to have her break after so few rounds, but she is good as new. Thanks Sig.

Hmmm.... it's funny but my problem started right after I bought a 1911 and I switched to the two-thumbs forward grip on the Sig as well as the 1911...

Kodemonkey
05-03-2011, 6:54 PM
Okay. Wife just brought it home. The store switched mags unit they found a good pair. Not sure if I am out of the woods, but these mags lock back consistently. Wife is super happy.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/6297f327-bfcc-00b2.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/6297f327-bfe0-ad72.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/6297f327-bffb-9521.jpg

R.Mac
05-03-2011, 7:33 PM
I know exactly what the problem is, because I fixed my 226 Equinox from the same problem. For some reason(probably has to do with 10rd vs larger capacity mags), the friggin slide lock lever tab, the part that touches the mag follower, is not long enough. Consequently the lever is never pushed up far enough to properly lock the slide back. The problem gets exacerbated with time because the cheapo mag follower(plastic), gets worn deeper from the short tab. After a bunch of back and forth with Sig and TGS, the factory sent me the proper slide lock lever (part#34260120). Problem solved. I suppose there are different magazines out there that might have a taller ledge on the follower that would give the same results.
P.S. My mags are Sig factory.

CAglock20c
05-03-2011, 7:35 PM
Experienced this with my 229 when I first shot it...however it only happened twice in the first 100 rds and never again..id send back to sig...

USMC 82-86
05-03-2011, 7:50 PM
I had my Sig P226R for over a year same problem. I had over 3000 rounds through the gun never ever failed to fire or eject. The slide lock was another problem. I have shot guns my entire life and I know how to hold a pistol and none of my other pistols had this problem. Now with that out of the way, I believe that having mags with less than the capacity intended for this weapon is a issue. Most of the Sigs are sold to gov't agencies with high cap mags and there is no need for Sig to change the design of the mags for the States that restrict gun owners.

rubber duckie
05-03-2011, 7:57 PM
where are you located? maybe someone here can loan you some mags at a range to test out.

Ranger20
05-03-2011, 7:59 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles with your 226.... I got an old one recently like new in the box. From 1994 It's working well...

I dont' think Sig is what they use to be.. When they made em in Germany sadly.

There old motto was... SIG "To H E L L and Back Reliability"

Now it's SIG "When it counts"

I'd send it back to them if you can't work it out...

At least then someone will test fire it..

That issue should have been caught at the factory but then they don't test fire them or if they do perhaps they used 15 round mags.

If you get an exemption good for you ;)

best to you

626Tony
05-03-2011, 7:59 PM
I had the same prob sig was great on fixing it

tools2teach
05-03-2011, 8:02 PM
1) Gripping the grips at the slide release
2) Use high charged ammo (break in)
3) Magazine
4) Rack the slide 100 times to break in. (This one is most likely)

thai562
05-04-2011, 9:21 AM
This happen to my first p226. I removed the slide and with the mag in I noticed that the follower was not making good contact with the slide catch. I was able to fine a new slide catch and it is fine after that. For some reason their is a minor dimensional problem with the slide catch, they only show up as a problem when use with the 10rd mag.
If you a friend with a 226 229 borrow his/her slide catch.

esartori
05-04-2011, 9:24 AM
i had the same problems and turns out i was also riding the slide release.