PDA

View Full Version : 1st AR Build-Good Candidate for Barrel?

Durwin
05-02-2011, 9:22 PM
Good Evening,
I've been searching for a good barrel to use for my AR build.
I'm building primarily for durability,reliability and accuracy in that order. Long distances (+300 meters hahaha) are much further down the list.

Wilson Combat seems to make quality products. I already have their stripped upper receiver.

I don't like the fact that the only finish offered is stainless. I'm planning parkerizing or something similar.

I believe the 1:8 twist is a good compromise. I mostly have the M193 rounds stockpiled.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Recon-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-556RC16/

I do not want fluting or anything that might cause this barrel to be prone to overheating.

Opinions?
Durwin

tujungatoes
05-02-2011, 9:30 PM
ok...I'm not an AR guy, so maybe there's some characteristic that I'm unaware of. If necessary, please educate me.

Shouldn't flutes create more surface area to transfer heat away from the barrel?

Dreaded Claymore
05-02-2011, 9:32 PM
ok...I'm not an AR guy, so maybe there's some characteristic that I'm unaware of. If need be, please educate me.

Shouldn't flutes in the barrel create more surface area to transfer heat away from the barrel?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right about that. When it comes to heat dissipation, a fluted barrel can only help.

G1500
05-02-2011, 9:41 PM
Fluting and heat fins are designed to help cool things by creating more surface area.

Durwin
05-03-2011, 5:17 PM
That's good to know.
I stand corrected.
Since this is the first barrel I've bought, what should I look for?

Durwin

2fast4u
05-03-2011, 5:39 PM
That Wilson Barrel looks nice I don't know much about them. I like the Stainless if they had a Stainless Fluted Model I think I would have to get one of those :-)

dieselpower
05-03-2011, 6:27 PM
I'm building primarily for durability,reliability and accuracy in that order. Long distances (+300 meters hahaha) are much further down the list

I want a car for durability, reliability and MPG in that order. Long distance fuel economy (500 miles on one tank hahaha) is much further down the list.

Any barrel from one of the majors will work for you. Look into CMMG, Armalite and DD.

Durwin
05-03-2011, 7:47 PM
Gee, that explains the 8.1L engine in my truck :)
Durwin

wash
05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Just about any barrel should get you durability and reliability.

Any decent barrel should last a couple thousand rounds before you see any accuracy loss and a few more thousand after that before it's really shot out. A chrome lined barrel should do 10,000 rounds pretty easy.

Reliability is pretty much a given too, what can break on a barrel?

What's left is accuracy and ballistic performance. Some barrels are more accurate than others and some barrels shoot faster than others. If you want to maximize your performance, you need to think about the ammo you want to use, pick an appropriate chamber and then choose your rifling profile and twist.

That's more than most people care to think about so they go with recommendations mostly.

I can't really give a recommendation but I can tell you what I would buy:

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/968/1612

I think that's a 16" mid-length and it comes with a super bolt. Bolts are where ARs fail most frequently so you get durability and reliability in one shot. It should be pretty damn accurate too (my 6.8 is quite accurate and uses one of their barrels).

Durwin
05-07-2011, 8:28 PM
Thank you.
Durwin

motorwerks
05-07-2011, 8:44 PM
Gee, that explains the 8.1L engine in my truck :)
Durwin
JESUS!!!!! I thought my 5.4 was BIG!!! I have big engine envy right now. :D

G1500
05-07-2011, 10:27 PM
JESUS!!!!! I thought my 5.4 was BIG!!! I have big engine envy right now. :D

Because you have a Ford. It happens. ;)

motorwerks
05-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Because you have a Ford. It happens. ;)
And I wouldnt have it any other way. :D

Thread jacked!!

OK OK OK OK OK back on topic.

G1500
05-07-2011, 10:39 PM
And I wouldnt have it any other way. :D

Thread jacked!!

OK OK OK OK OK back on topic.

And just moments ago you were jealous of a Chevy engine.

:D

Durwin
05-08-2011, 5:22 PM
Don't worry, my window sticker did not have any MPG numbers on it. It was blank. I knew then....
Durwin