PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a gun belt.

559luke
05-02-2011, 8:14 PM
I just got a Desantis Facilitator holster for my M&P40. The holster is great, but my belt from the Banana Republic is severely lacking. I'm looking for a decent quality, mid to low price nylon gun belt. My primary use is for home carry, carry at friends / family's property and maybe some future USPSA competition. No CCW at this point. Any recommendations?

Q619
05-02-2011, 8:18 PM
Wilderness tactical

iareConfusE
05-02-2011, 8:24 PM
Does it have to be nylon? I use the 5.11 Tactical "Casual" belt. It has an internal stiffener, and it feels great. Holds the weight of the holster + gun very well and doesn't let it sag. I use it daily as a normal belt too, as it looks just like any other typical leather belt, just much stiffer.

sirgiles
05-02-2011, 8:31 PM
+1 on the 5.11.

AvyDriver
05-02-2011, 8:34 PM
Wilderness tactical

+1. Bought one. Threw all the others out and now wear this belt pretty much exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

559luke
05-02-2011, 8:59 PM
Does it have to be nylon? I use the 5.11 Tactical "Casual" belt. It has an internal stiffener, and it feels great. Holds the weight of the holster + gun very well and doesn't let it sag. I use it daily as a normal belt too, as it looks just like any other typical leather belt, just much stiffer.

Nope doesn't have to be nylon. I'll check out the 5.11.

FUBAR
05-02-2011, 9:18 PM
Check out the Liger(my favorite animal) Belt. It's on the Maxpedition website.

zfields
05-02-2011, 9:42 PM
I use the 5.11 just as a day belt, plus at the range. Great, cheap belt.

JanG
05-02-2011, 10:48 PM
i use a wilderness frequent flier and works great. i also use it at work since the buckle doesn't scratch fenders like metal buckles do.

although i've heard good things with 5.11 stuff too so i might get that next.

zfields
05-02-2011, 11:07 PM
I just dont like the look of the wilderness......it screams gun belt to me. The 5.11 just looks like a belt.

wang949
05-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I really like the Galco Instructor Belt. It has a heavy duty metal buckle. But I use a Bianchi nylon gun belt. It's a very simple, light, nylon, stiff, and velcro belt and it's cheap.

codeman8
05-02-2011, 11:33 PM
the wilderness tactical instructor's belt is awesome. I grabbed the 1.5"

djeddiebear
05-02-2011, 11:40 PM
+1 for Wilderness Tactical

LTP90
05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
I have a standard 2 inch leather belt for my jeans,
This is what I wear with my nomex, I have never thought about using it for my holster belt, but it would work, and its definitely strong.

http://www.firecache.com/prodinfo.asp?number=10.3990

MacOtac
05-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Ares Gear makes a nice belt!

Q619
05-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I tested my Wilderness Tactical belt by rappelling with it (had a full harness with a couple buddies working the line as a safety). It was very uncomfortable :p but it held my weight. I'm absolutely certain it'll do a fine job of holding any gun: pants included :D

IPSICK
05-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Just go for the CR Speed since this is not for concealment. The inner and outer belt setup works well for home carry because it will allow you to take off your gear really easily.

If you don't like Competition belts then the Wilderness Tactical will be fine.

SLO1911Fan
05-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Wilderness tactical

+1

I bought one four months ago and have only worn my old leather belts three times since. Its the most comfortable, most stable, and best made belt I've owned to this point. One piece of advice, if you buy one. Don't err on the side of buying an inch bigger. Buy the correct size or err on the side of 1/2" - 1" smaller. They're adjustable to be a little bigger but smaller isn't possible.

Q619
05-03-2011, 1:04 AM
+1

I bought one four months ago and have only worn my old leather belts three times since. Its the most comfortable, most stable, and best made belt I've owned to this point. One piece of advice, if you buy one. Don't err on the side of buying an inch bigger. Buy the correct size or err on the side of 1/2" - 1" smaller. They're adjustable to be a little bigger but smaller isn't possible.

That's solid advice, I found the same thing.

The Cable Guy
05-03-2011, 1:50 AM
If you're going to be serious about shooting competitively, get a CR Speed belt, or a Double Alpha. The inner/outer belt system allows you to place your belt accessories virtually anywhere since there is no buckle to take up space. This means you can place mag pouches closer to the center of your body, which is optimal.

But for range use and walking around, see above posts. Plan on having a different belt depending on the situation/environment.

247Nino
05-03-2011, 2:50 AM
http://www.opticsplanet.net/instructor-gun-belt-w-talon-flex-insert-34-41.html

BlackHawk Instructor Gun Belt w/ Talon Flex Insert $25 right now, cheap and strong!

Bobby Hated
05-03-2011, 7:17 AM
for competition i use a cr speed. nothing is better.

for carry and even when i dont carry, i wear a galco leather belt. $70 at midway usa and worth every penny. i know some people who have the 5.11 belt and it wears ugly, frays and splots to show the insert after time. despite having no insert, the galco belt is stiff as fiberglass all year round. and it has a solid brass buckle. but looks like a normal casual belt.

rromeo
05-03-2011, 7:25 AM
I have one on the way. Hopefully it's as good as people say.

Ubermcoupe
05-03-2011, 8:52 AM
http://www.opticsplanet.net/instructor-gun-belt-w-talon-flex-insert-34-41.html

BlackHawk Instructor Gun Belt w/ Talon Flex Insert $25 right now, cheap and strong!

I have a similar one by Uncle Mike's. Its nylon but has a stiff insert to keep everything up near my waist. I wouldn't consider it for a nice occasion though; its more practical than fashionable.

c.j.
05-03-2011, 9:09 AM
I've gone through a LOT of belts. Daily, I use the 5.11 leather belts...not the greatest quality, but plenty stiff, and my biggest problem is touching up the dye every once in a while. A decent looking, casual belt.

I also have a bunch of Wilderness and similar styled belts. NY IronWorks currently is still showing having some on clearance, but you probably need to call since even when I ordered a couple a while back, their site didn't reflect what was actually in stock.

Swift Justice
05-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I use a 5.11 leather belt as I have to wear professional dress in the office, and the 5.11 with the stitching seems to fit right in and still be stiff enough for my Comp-Tac Minotaur.

hkdad
05-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I have a similar one by Uncle Mike's. Its nylon but has a stiff insert to keep everything up near my waist. I wouldn't consider it for a nice occasion though; its more practical than fashionable.

+1 on uncle mikes. bought one off ebay for $20 shipped! very stiff belt. works like a charm.