View Full Version : sigs for left handed shooters

05-02-2011, 7:13 PM
I'm a left handed shooter and I'm wondering does sig make a 220 or 226 for left handed shooters? I would appreciate any info on this.

05-02-2011, 7:22 PM
No. Got to overcome and adapt. I'm a left handed shooter and I just learned to be proficient at manipulating the mag release and slide release with my left hand.

05-02-2011, 7:36 PM
How do u use the decocking lever

05-02-2011, 7:43 PM
I use my trigger finger.

05-02-2011, 7:53 PM
I'm a lefty looking into what gun to purchase, and I've come to love sigs.

Some of them apparently do have reversible mag releases, but using my middle finger on the mag release and my trigger finger on the decocker has worked very well for me.

I came to realize that I could either learn to shoot "my" gun, or I could learn to shoot ANY gun. Once I made that decision, learning to adapt was a lot easier then I first suspected.

I do try to avoid non-lefty-friendly safety levers, because a safety may have to be worked under fire, or in an emergency, but a decocker is only used when there is no threat and you're putting the gun away, so there's no real problem breaking your grip to do it.

05-02-2011, 8:05 PM
I use my trigger finger.

I use my trigger finger to release the slide stop and decocker and my middle finger to release the mag.

rubber duckie
05-02-2011, 8:20 PM
maybe you can try to shoot right handed and just shift your arm to the left and turn your head just a bit. i have only had my p226 for a week and only shot left handed. but i have been doing a good amount of dry fire with right hand to see how it feels and its not bad at all. im sure i can be just as good right handed as left.

05-02-2011, 8:59 PM

I use my trigger finger to release the slide stop and decocker and my middle finger to release the mag.

An old classmate of mine had a heel release Sig Sauer. He was a lefty... and liked the lack of a slide mounted safety. We shot together on odd weekends, but mostly we shot rifles and shotguns.

I got into handguns a couple years after...

05-02-2011, 9:04 PM
You just have to get used to it. I shoot my P220 and P229 regularly.

05-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Having qualified on a P239 and being a lefty the best advice is just to train with the weapon and familiarize yourself with it. The slide lock can be a bit of a pain, but that's why I use the "bow and arrow" method if I need to lock it back. Mag release I use my middle finger, decocking lever I use the trigger finger.

It's remarkably easy once you do it a few times.

05-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm glad they don't. I don't have the same problems right handed folks do, of the slide release being bumped and the slide not locking on the last round.

05-03-2011, 12:10 AM
I shoot left-handed and have shot the SIG 226, 229, 239 and 220 and experienced zero problems handling or shooting them. Plus the mag release is right there on the trigger finger side. If I shot right-handed, I'd have to switch the pistol to the left hand to insert a new mag, because my right thumb can't reach the mag release comfortably. lol

05-03-2011, 12:30 AM
How do u use the decocking lever

Trigger finger. I find it easier that when I shoot it right handed.

05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
As a Southpaw, I also use my trigger finger on the p226

05-03-2011, 1:15 PM
Another Lefty here. I've learned to adapt with my P226, to the point I'm now very comfortable with it :D

I also have a SP2022 which I switched the mag release from Right- to Left. You know what, I like it better on the Right side and more comfortable (for me) just to use my Left middle finger to drop mags

If you're looking for a ambi SIG, you won't get it from the P220 or P226 line. Check out the P250, those models have the ambi controls available to them.

05-03-2011, 2:59 PM
When demonstrating pistols for my former agency, a Sig rep told me that Sig didn't make guns for left handed people. I haven't seen any reason to give Sig any of my money since. There are better choices out there for we left handers.

If I absolutely had to settle for a Sig, I might make an exception for the P250.