PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Next Purchase: FNH FNP-9mm or Glock19-9mm??

ELIXIR
05-02-2011, 7:16 PM
Hello CalGunners Commmunity!!

A friend of mine is looking at either purchasing a Glock 19 9mm or a FNH FNP 9mm.
The problem is he wants to own something different other than Glock. Everyone seems to own a Glock. While, the FNH FNP 9mm has really good reviews regarding reliability, product features, accuracy, etc.

I have been researching FNH FNP 9mm and I honestly think its an awesome handgun, (Haven't shot one yet!) just going by the research.

The reason for this post is what advice CalGuns community can give to us regarding these handguns. We all know Glock is an excellent gun. BUT what about the FNH?? do we have any owners out there? CalGunners that have had experience with the FNH FNP-9mm??
Please let us know your experiences and advice. Thanks! :cool2:

FUBAR
05-02-2011, 7:27 PM
I like the trigger pull and reset on the Glock. Not into DA/SA pistols.

gunafficionado
05-02-2011, 7:30 PM
G19 first.........the FNP-9:Dh

The Machine
05-02-2011, 7:40 PM
Does he care about how the weapon functions? (DA/SA or DAO) You can use this as a starting point. After that, your best bet would be to shoot any perspective weapon. This will be the final decision maker.

Actually what does he want the pistol to do? That is the first problem.

ELIXIR
05-02-2011, 7:46 PM
It doesn't matter on the DA/SA feature.... he just wants a reliable handgun, just how the glock is, but he also likes how the FNH FNP 9mm looks... but we all know looks don't make the gun function well.

Lumpia is sarap!
05-02-2011, 7:47 PM
Easy answer: both. Haha.

The Machine
05-02-2011, 7:52 PM
There are a number of handguns that will fit that general need of reliability. Don't settle on FNP-9 without trying a 92sf, or maybe M&P, or SR9, etc...

How well he shoots with a particular weapon should be the bottom line.

CALI SHOT DOC
05-02-2011, 8:06 PM
I was the same way about glocks when i purchased my first gun. I got an XD tactical for competition and love it to death. I won a Glock 17 last year and ever since it's one of my favorite guns to train with. I don't know much about FNH other than alot of people by them for 3gun competition. The best thing to do is to rent the two and possibly some other ones to get a feel and see what he's most comfortable with.

A good gun is a reliable gun that you are 100% confident and comfortable with.

Jerry X
05-02-2011, 8:19 PM
Glock 19 > FNP-9mm

Theres a reason why so many people have glocks. Just like you see so many Toyotas on the road.

JayBeeJay
05-02-2011, 8:37 PM
Tell him to rent both and try them out, than choose based on experience rather than opinion. IMO though you can't go wrong with a Glock 19!

jermzzzzzzz
05-02-2011, 8:42 PM
Tell him to try both.

626Tony
05-02-2011, 8:59 PM
i have both get the glock first !

ELIXIR
05-02-2011, 9:03 PM
LOL... I knew everyone would say Glock... but is the FNH FNP9 a good handgun?? Just for a piece of mind... not that he will buy it....

nrvnqsrxk
05-02-2011, 9:07 PM
Yes it's good

Noah3683
05-02-2011, 9:07 PM
I got rid of both my Glocks in favor of keeping my FNP-9 and Walther P99. Glock 19 is a great gun, but don't let everyone else tell your friend what HE wants! The FN is a great gun as well. If you are near the high desert area in Southern Cali, he is welcome to give mine a try

triplestack3
05-02-2011, 9:12 PM
I like the Glock... the 19 is a little small for me, I like the 17 better, but he should try renting both and putting a few rounds through each.

USMC 82-86
05-02-2011, 10:06 PM
It sounds like his mind is made up already. He will not be happy if he gets the Glock. The Glock is a great gun. I just bought a G19 sold a Sig P226R in .40. I was in the same position as he is now.

I was looking at going to a 9mm for more trigger time, a good caliber and cheaper than the .40. I looked at the SR9C,FNH, Kahr, LC9 and Sig 239. I narrowed my search to the SR9C and FNP because of the round count and the feel of the two guns. Then the clerk suggested to try a Glock at the range. I did not even really look at them because they never appealed to my eye. I knew their reputation but didn't want it, so I decided to rent a 19 before I settled on any gun. I shot the FNP and SR9C already at the range, a man and wife let me try theirs. Well the G19 for me was a natural shooter. I now have a G19 and very happy. If your friend wants his feelings about the FNP to be validated by others here, it may not happen. He has to decide. They are both fine guns.

giants_fan24
05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
I've shot both and I would say the Glock 19 is better plus Glocks are made to be shot alot

MacOtac
05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Get a SW M&P 9mm... I have a Glock 19 as my issued weapon... Not a bad gun, all and all. But, I love my M&P.... You do need to have a trigger job done to them (APex).

762.DEFENSE
05-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Both are great guns, but Id go with the Glock first.

Javi
05-02-2011, 10:42 PM
IF HE GETS THE FNH, THE TERRORISTS WIN.

:rolleyes:

Vander
05-02-2011, 10:45 PM
G19 first....reliability, reliability, reliability...nuff said..

SJgunguy24
05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
The FNP is a nice gun, but mags, parts and support could be an issue. Glocks are stupid simple to work on, the mags are dirt cheap and parts are easy to find. Holster selection will be much better with the Glock. I was shopping for a new piece and could get anything I wanted and the FNP, and G19 were both on the list, I went with a CZ SP-01.

wang949
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
FN Herstal has been making guns for over 100 years with tons of military contracts from WWI to today. I don't think you could go wrong with either FN or Glock.

1911Operator
05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
another one for the Glock!

sniper4usmc
05-02-2011, 11:21 PM
I prefer Hammer fired over stiker fired pistol..

ELIXIR
05-03-2011, 5:22 AM
He has shot Glock before...he knows Glock pretty well... likes Glock... but just wanted to try something different...still has to test FNH FNP 9mm....

glockmeister
05-03-2011, 6:28 AM
Between the glock and FN, get the glock. Easier to find parts and upgrades. But has he looked at any cz's? Great guns as well!!

ZX-10R
05-03-2011, 9:36 AM
He has shot Glock before...he knows Glock pretty well... likes Glock... but just wanted to try something different...still has to test FNH FNP 9mm....

This...Is your answer...I tried the Glock. Hated it. Went and got the M&P 45 as a result. Then I got the FNP-9 shortly after based on recommendations from two buddies from back East...Let's just say that most Glock owners have most likely never tried the FNP. Some here have but most haven't...I will tell you this, you will be surprised at how good the FNP-9 is. As for accessories...You will find magazines but a holster might be an issue...Nah. You can use the Glock holster for it. If you can, try one...I prefer hammer vs striker as well.

Finally, everyone does have a Glock and probably one reason I would never buy one. As I said...If the FNP and Glock performed the same in your hand which would you get? Think of it that way.

quailhunter
05-03-2011, 9:51 AM
I have an FNP 9 and FNP 40. I absolutely love them. Very simple, very reliable.

I have shot Glocks and I can't stand the trigger. And hey, look at this thread, everyone and his brother has a Glock and loves it. He can get a Glock any day.

He should buy the FNP and he will get what he wants and be happy.

Swift Justice
05-03-2011, 9:56 AM
Glock Uber Alles. Once you get comfortable with it, then get the FN. They are both well made, quality weapons. I have shot Glocks for years and carry them now, planning on adding the FN as funds allow (Have an FN FiveSeven that I really like).

Z.1
05-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Glock 19 > FNP-9mm

Theres a reason why so many people have glocks. Just like you see so many Toyotas on the road.

Because once you start either one you can't stop? :D

(This is my 'would have been topical a year ago' answer)

luckygunner
05-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Your friend sounds like he doesn't want a Glock, so he shouldn't get one. I have a couple Glocks and while they are good pistols they aren't the best for me. My preference in the polymer side would be the CZ, XD or FN.

FNP 9mm is a great pistol and will be just as reliable as the Glock. There won't be near as much aftermarket support for the FN, but there is less of a need to personalize a FN.

ELIXIR
05-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I knew FN was a good quality gun... Like someone mentioned here... not a lot of people own them or have shot them... they just go by the Reputation Glock has, which I don't blame them, its an awesome handgun... but in my opinion I would rather have an FN....

TonyKat
05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Glock 19.

Noah3683
05-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I've shot both and I would say the Glock 19 is better plus Glocks are made to be shot alot Yeah because that stainless steel hammer forged barrel in the FN was made to clunk out early :rolleyes:

Ghostrider Recon.
05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
IF HE GETS THE FNH, THE TERRORISTS WIN.
ROCK OUT WITH YOUR GLOCK OUT!!!

99% of the Machine Guns (M249, M240 varients, and M2 .50 cal) in the United States Military's Arsenal are FN.

I have an FNP-40 and I love it. There is a Blackhawk Serpa holster that fits it but if i remember correctly its actually for a Ruger.

navy_doc1
05-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a Glock 19 and XD40 and love both

JayBeeJay
05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
^^^ I co-sign that...I don't buy anything based on someone else's opinion alone. Bought my first Glock 12 years ago and it's been Glockwork ever since. Don't get me wrong Glock haters I own other make pistols as well, but all around Glock's are my favorite hand guns.

hkdad
05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
MOST OF US WHO OWN GLOCKS DONT BUY THEM JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION.
AFTER SHOOTING IT YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH IT. THE WAY IT FEELS IN YOUR HAND, NOT TOO BIG NOT TOO SMALL, JUST RIGHT. TRIGGER PULL ISNT HEAVY/LONG...KEEPS YOU WANTING TO COME BACK FOR MORE...ITS JUST RIGHT. ANYONE AGREE?

ONCE YOU GO GLOCK, YOU NEVER GO BACK!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/2123392792_7f5df7ddda.jpg

to the OP... i would get a glock 19 first.

triplestack3
05-03-2011, 1:00 PM
CAPS GLOCK

shift key must have had a FTE. better get that checked out

05-03-2011, 1:12 PM
he wants to own something different other than Glock.

A valid reason.

Everyone seems to own a Glock.

everyone does have a Glock and probably one reason I would never buy one.

An invalid reason.

Noah3683
05-03-2011, 1:32 PM
MOST OF US WHO OWN GLOCKS DONT BUY THEM JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION.
AFTER SHOOTING IT YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH IT. THE WAY IT FEELS IN YOUR HAND, NOT TOO BIG NOT TOO SMALL, JUST RIGHT. TRIGGER PULL ISNT HEAVY/LONG...KEEPS YOU WANTING TO COME BACK FOR MORE...ITS JUST RIGHT. ANYONE AGREE?

ONCE YOU GO GLOCK, YOU NEVER GO BACK!
Talk about a general statement... many many people HATE the feel of Glock's. I give it credit for it's reliability, but I couldn't stand either of my Glocks, and they both went bye bye. Sorry, I'm not dying to go back either

JayBeeJay
05-03-2011, 2:08 PM
^^^ If you couldnt stand the Glock so much how'd you end up owning multiple?

Noah3683
05-03-2011, 2:19 PM
^^^ If you couldnt stand the Glock so much how'd you end up owning multiple?
Bought a 23 (for work. It was the only company approved .40 i was comfortable carrying) inherited a 17. ;) Actually to be honest I wouldn't mind adding a 4th gen 19 once the kinks are totally worked out, but it's not like I'm dying to have it. Nor would I give up any of my others to get it.

ELIXIR
05-03-2011, 3:35 PM
Glocks are ugly looking, but the reliability makes up for it....

Noah3683
05-03-2011, 4:22 PM
HAHA thats true JayBeeJay......
and on his avatar pic, the pistol on the right looks like a glock?...hmmm

Yep sure is, but the funny part is I don't have a single one of those guns in that pic anymore. They have all been graduated to better weapons ;). That also reminds me that I need to update the pic lol. There is no denying Glock's quality. However they are not for everyone. The grip sucks IMO, and although the 4th gen has somewhat addressed that issue, they have picked up other reliability issues. there will still be tons of people that dislike them. Also, The 17 was sold within weeks of me inheriting it, and the 23 was bought for work. When they expanded approved calibers from just .40 the G23 went bye bye and the P99 became my duty gun. :thumbsup:

ZX-10R
05-03-2011, 6:18 PM
Pack mentality...Go to specific sites OP and gather your info before buying. However, you should try before you buy. The FNP will be tough to rent but feeling it in hand helps. One other member wanted to meet me to try my FNP-9. You are more than welcome if you go out to SLOSA. I would never own a Glock. It did not feel right in my hand, I was not shooting better with it than the M&P and for that matter the FNP after I got it, and it looks stupid...I took advice from two friends I have known since 1984 versus taking advice from you keyboard jocks? :rolleyes: I would trust their words before I ever trust the words of some of the "experts" here. Glockers it's ok to get a different gun. Pat your own backs the OP wants info.

ELIXIR
05-03-2011, 8:34 PM
FN!!

JayBeeJay
05-03-2011, 9:14 PM
What was the point of you starting the thread if your boy wants something other than a Glock anyway? Turned into more of a debate and you siding with Glock haters lol. Best thing to do is have your boy try both and let him choose for himself. The end.

ELIXIR
05-03-2011, 9:28 PM
I know it turned out to be a Glock debate! Lol.... its all good though... We Calgunners are entitled to buy and shoot what we feel like... But I've learned a lot on this thread... turns out FN is a great gun after all!

05-04-2011, 5:07 AM
... and it looks stupid ...

Great info!

:laugh:

ZX-10R
05-04-2011, 6:56 AM
Great info!

:laugh:

ZZZZ.:rolleyes: Open your eyes when you shop.:D Tons of guns out there that out shoot you and I. Glock is not the end all do all but then again look at your avatar. ;)

ELIXIR
05-04-2011, 1:33 PM
FNH FNP 9mm...next in line!!

626Tony
05-04-2011, 1:41 PM
great choice brother

626Tony
05-04-2011, 1:42 PM
order from budsgunshop.com or gungenie.com

ELIXIR
05-04-2011, 1:43 PM
Thanks Tony... I took your advice on that website...so hopefully Friday I can't get it going... first need to check in with my FFL...

626Tony
05-04-2011, 1:46 PM
no prob anytime call me find a ffl that will take it the 2 tone is very sexy

626Tony
05-04-2011, 1:48 PM
take a look at what I sleep with http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=428909

626Tony
05-04-2011, 1:50 PM
looks like he went with a fn with buds gun shop great choice ! FN's are very under rated

ELIXIR
05-04-2011, 2:40 PM
My FFL will charge me $70 for shipping the FN. Is that good or are they f*cking me?!!

Noah3683
05-04-2011, 2:45 PM
My FFL will charge me $70 for shipping the FN. Is that good or are they f*cking me?!!
That's about average anymore. I've heard as low as $40 and high as $125

626Tony
05-04-2011, 3:04 PM
thats a OK price ...id pay that

Swift Justice
05-04-2011, 3:04 PM
Mine charges me $50 which includes DROS and I think I'm doing pretty good, don't know of anywhere else in the area that charges less than $65 and some charge a good deal more.

jermzzzzzzz
05-04-2011, 4:36 PM
GLOCK HATERS BEWARE: CLICKING TO VIEW PICTURE MIGHT CAUSE SERIOUS BLINDNESS AND/OR JEALOUSY DUE TO SEXYNESS OF THE GLOCK.
CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Not impressed.

dllma70
05-04-2011, 5:21 PM
I had the same questions myself and went with the FNP9, sooo much nicer than my friends glock. Your friend should buy my FNP9 I have for sale.

jermzzzzzzz
05-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Is there something wrong with the picture? I'm still not jealous and can still see!

CrazyJeep
05-05-2011, 12:13 AM
A GLOCK HATER SHOULDNT BE :)

Turn your damn caps lock off you noob. You're making us Glock owners look like amateurs.

IPSICK
05-05-2011, 12:13 AM
http://www.salientarmsinternational.com/img/c/33-category.jpg

crazychinaman
05-05-2011, 7:20 AM

A friend of mine is looking at either purchasing a Glock 19 9mm or a FNH FNP 9mm.
The problem is he wants to own something different other than Glock. Everyone seems to own a Glock. While, the FNH FNP 9mm has really good reviews regarding reliability, product features, accuracy, etc.

I have been researching FNH FNP 9mm and I honestly think its an awesome handgun, (Haven't shot one yet!) just going by the research.

The reason for this post is what advice CalGuns community can give to us regarding these handguns. We all know Glock is an excellent gun. BUT what about the FNH?? do we have any owners out there? CalGunners that have had experience with the FNH FNP-9mm??

I say go and buy both and tells us how they shoot.

gearhead15
05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
FNP-9 owner here. It's a very reliable pistol, they had a minor issue with the housing for the fire control group in 2006-early 2007 production but corrected that. The symptom is a cracked FCG housing, but they will replace it free. For all intents and purposes the FN has a lifetime warranty. No other weaknesses that I'm aware of. Some of them will have stiff springs right out of the box but cycling a couple of hundred rounds through them loosens them up so they don't eject some rounds straight up or fail to lock back on an empty mag. They don't like underpowered rounds, 124 gr. NATO ammo runs great through them.

Stainless barrels and slides (even the black slide is stainless with Melonite treatment). Never heard of any corrosion issues and mine's always eaten anything I've fed it.

shooterdude
05-05-2011, 1:20 PM
The FNP is a nice gun, but mags, parts and support could be an issue. Glocks are stupid simple to work on, the mags are dirt cheap and parts are easy to find. Holster selection will be much better with the Glock. I was shopping for a new piece and could get anything I wanted and the FNP, and G19 were both on the list, I went with a CZ SP-01.

From where did you draw the conclusion the the FNP has support issues? There is nothing but good reviews of the product and the company all over the Internet. Same can be said for CZ. I own 2 CZ's and just purchased the FNP9 and have had nothing but wonderful experiences so far. It is interesting that you used "Glock" and "stupid" in the same sentence...just saying ;-)

BHPFan
05-05-2011, 1:33 PM
As big of a FN fan, I will choose G19 over FNP9. Both are great pistols, but Glock has much more parts and accessories available.

BHPFan
05-05-2011, 1:45 PM
From where did you draw the conclusion the the FNP has support issues? There is nothing but good reviews of the product and the company all over the Internet. Same can be said for CZ. I own 2 CZ's and just purchased the FNP9 and have had nothing but wonderful experiences so far. It is interesting that you used "Glock" and "stupid" in the same sentence...just saying ;-)

OK, from what I gather, FN provides great support and Customer Service. However to me, Glock has the advantage of a lot more parts available from the original manufacturer or aftermarket, this make the parts less expensive than if only one company just produces the parts (for example, SCAR 17 mags are only manufactured by FN and they are expensive at $50+ each).

hkdad
05-05-2011, 2:07 PM
http://www.salientarmsinternational.com/img/c/33-category.jpg

you hit the G-SPOT! :thumbsup:

Joe
05-05-2011, 2:09 PM
Never handled or shot the FN. But I love my g19

shooterdude
05-05-2011, 2:23 PM

OK, from what I gather, FN provides great support and Customer Service. However to me, Glock has the advantage of a lot more parts available from the original manufacturer or aftermarket, this make the parts less expensive than if only one company just produces the parts (for example, SCAR 17 mags are only manufactured by FN and they are expensive at $50+ each).

The reason I bought the FNP is its trigger. I was in the market for my first polymer pistol and I shot or handled everything I could. It came down to a toss-up between the Sig 2022 or the FNP. The FNP had the best factory trigger I have ever felt. All of my CZ's and My Beretta have had trigger jobs. While no SA/DA pistol can compare (IMHO) to the trigger on my CZ SP-01, the FNP felt very close to the trigger on my Beretta. Considering the FNP comes with 3 mags and I bought it online and got a killer deal. I don't see it needing any upgrades other than I might put in a lower power mainspring to see how light a DA pull I can get while maintaining reliability.

The FNP's have only been on the market for a few years and are not yet widely deployed but I believe they will ultimately become as revered as the many other fine pistols in the polymer group.

ELIXIR
05-06-2011, 3:42 PM
Decided on FNH FNP 9mm Stainless Steel , Black! ( two-tone ) Just waiting on shipping + 10 Days :punk:

Thanks 626Tony for your help!! :rockon:

626Tony
05-06-2011, 5:22 PM
Good choice brother gimme a call if u need me ! 626tony here !!! always willing to help out a calgunner!

626Tony
05-06-2011, 5:22 PM
rock on!!

shooterdude
05-06-2011, 5:47 PM
Decided on FNH FNP 9mm Stainless Steel , Black! ( two-tone ) Just waiting on shipping + 10 Days :punk:

Thanks 626Tony for your help!! :rockon:

Rock out with your cocked FNP-9 out !
:cool:

ELIXIR
05-06-2011, 8:33 PM
This is going to be in my possession in about 2 weeks or so!! :devil2:

MSY89
06-15-2011, 4:57 PM
LOL... I knew everyone would say Glock... but is the FNH FNP9 a good handgun?? Just for a piece of mind... not that he will buy it....

GREAT gun. I have 200+ rounds through my new one and haven't had one FTF or FTE. Glocks probably going to be a bit more reliable overall but the FNP-9 has one thing no stock Glock can offer...aesthetic appeal:p

ELIXIR
06-15-2011, 5:30 PM
Since the thread is back up! I did buy the FNP9 and also bought a Glock 19(NIB) :) Got a really good deal and jumped on it. It will be my first glock, so let's see how it treats me, has far as that goes I am really excited in being a future glock owner as well as an fnp.

locosway
06-15-2011, 5:43 PM

The Glock 19 will beat out most all handguns when comparing it to others. It's one of the few Glocks that even non-Glock people like. With that said, there's also a reason so many people like Glock and choose to shoot them.

The FNP 9 is nice, but it's not the same as a Glock 19. My advice would be to rent both and see which one he likes. Also, if he's looking for an alternative to Glock, CZ always gets rave reviews.

gorenut
06-15-2011, 6:27 PM
Haha, so basically the point of this thread really is:
"Talk me into buying an FNP first and then a Glock later"

Congrats on the purchases.

Liberty Belle
06-15-2011, 6:56 PM
I have a FNP 9. Love it!

ELIXIR
06-15-2011, 7:26 PM
I still need to shoot both guns. I love the way the fnp9 feels, super light. I know I can't go wrong with Glock either. They are both superb handguns IMO.