PDA

View Full Version : 40mm scopering laaping bar?

KPSFO
05-02-2011, 5:07 PM
Hi All,

I just got an IOR variable scope for my M-1A and I am looking into mounting it myself. I'm told I'll save myself some money and it's easy. HOWEVER:

- as far as I can tell, nobody makes 40mm lapping bars

- between picking up a gun vise and a lapping bar (if even available), this looks like this is gonna run me north of $100. Which I understand is about double the cost of taking it to a smith.

Beyond that, I have some questions about stuff like, do I need scope alignment tools? Seems like the companies that make lapping bars in 30mm and 1" also make these, and some of the descriptions of how to do this also talk about bore sighters. This is a good scope and I want to do right, so I want to optimize setup where it makes sense. But this seems like it could turn into an excuse to get a bunch of tools I use, like, every five years, if I'm lucky. And I already have a crap-load of them holding space in my closets.

Anyone have any thoughts about where to find a 40mm scope ring lapping bar?

Diabolus
05-02-2011, 7:34 PM
What kind of rings did you buy?

I've never lapped quality rings and they have always worked fine. Look on Snipershide for mounting a scope properly to a rifle, there is a lot of information there.

Guns R Tools
05-02-2011, 7:43 PM
Scope alignment tools help you make sure there are no unnecessary stress on tube. It may look fine visually but could be off just enough.

I doubt you will find 40 mm sets though.

Mayne contact the scope manufacture.

Or try to get 1 piece ring sets.

KPSFO
05-04-2011, 3:28 AM
Thanks guys. I will talk to Scott at Liberty Optics (he sold me the scope and rings) and see what he says about lapping them; perhaps it's unnecessary . . .

adamwade
05-22-2011, 9:13 PM
Lapping rings is very important if you care about your scope investment. Undo stress on the scope can cause accuracy problems, yet alone denting the scope tube. You may be amazing at how off rings and your rifle base can be. I bought a lapping kit and was shocked how bad my Leupold rings were. Fixed them easily.

The best lapping kit is from Kokopelli Products. He could make you a set in any size I think. THey normally have 1",30mm, 34mm

Please read their info and it will educate you on scope mounting !

http://www.kokopelliproducts.com/

sbkarmen
07-19-2011, 2:27 PM
called IOR they said their 40mm rings don't need lapping?? I got a set with 40mm rings and they are aerospace quality and honestly I really don't think it needs to be lapped. If you do it right and "evenly" it will be perfect. Maybe on crappy rings but not IOR rings.