PDA

View Full Version : FN is replacing my SCAR

9unknown
05-02-2011, 4:27 PM
Due to some issues I was having with my SCAR 16s I sent it back to FN about a month ago. Just today I received word that they would be sending me a brand new rifle with a new serial number. I've never had to have a rifle replaced before, so what I'm wondering is will it need to be sent from FN to a FFL so the new serial number can be registered to me?

And yes I will be making sure FN sends the new rifle fully configured for California.

Some details on the issues I was having can be found here:

http://fnforum.net/wear-tear-update-t25239.html

Dhena81
05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Rifles aren't registered like handguns ATF wants a DROS for the dealers. People might say to go on the side of caution and have it DROS'd but I really see no point YMMV.

Dhena81
05-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Don't run Pmags or Emags in a SCAR BTW

JayBeeJay
05-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Wow I wish I had extra money to get a 17S, but for the price you pay for SCAR's they should be flawless. That's not a good look. Good to hear their giving you a brand new rifle!

c483125117
05-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Can you elaborate? Which mags are best?

Baconator
05-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Can you elaborate? Which mags are best?

They recommend you only use USGI mags, like the ones that come with it. PMAG's aren't shaped the same in the back and cause the bolt catch to sit up when a mag is inserted. Google PMAG SCAR 16 and you will see what I am talking about

9unknown
05-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Yup, I found that one out the hard way it seems. Though I have heard of some people using them in their SCAR's with absolutely no problems. It is kind of a shame that it has such compatibility issues.

I just picked up a couple 10 round SCAR mags so hopefully that will solve the problem. Would be nice if I could get my hands on some rebuild kits and make some proper SCAR 10/30 mags but that seems nearly impossible.

Iggy
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Rifles aren't registered like handguns ATF wants a DROS for the dealers. People might say to go on the side of caution and have it DROS'd but I really see no point YMMV.

Can anyone else confirm this?

docsmileyface
05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Wow I wish I had extra money to get a 17S, but for the price you pay for SCAR's they should be flawless. That's not a good look. Good to hear their giving you a brand new rifle!

Everything has lemons - I've got about 600 rounds through my 17S with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Baconator
05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Yup, I found that one out the hard way it seems. Though I have heard of some people using them in their SCAR's with absolutely no problems. It is kind of a shame that it has such compatibility issues.

I just picked up a couple 10 round SCAR mags so hopefully that will solve the problem. Would be nice if I could get my hands on some rebuild kits and make some proper SCAR 10/30 mags but that seems nearly impossible.

One of the forum vendors, Midewest PX does PMAG conversion services. You might check to see if you could get them sent to him and see if he'll convert them for you prior to sending them your way.

SJgunguy24
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM

DROS has nothing to do with the BATFE. They care about the 4473, as far as the ATF is concerned, your free do go as soon as the 4473 is filled out. CA is different, you will need to fill out a 4473, pay for DROS and wait 10 days before you can take that rifle home.
The only way around that is FN would have to ship the serialized receiver back to the OP's residence.

Answer above.

9unknown
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
One of the forum vendors, Midewest PX does PMAG conversion services. You might check to see if you could get them sent to him and see if he'll convert them for you prior to sending them your way.

That's a good idea, I've heard the name before. I'm assuming he's out of state?

Baconator
05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
One of the forum vendors, Midewest PX does PMAG conversion services. You might check to see if you could get them sent to him and see if he'll convert them for you prior to sending them your way.<br />
<br />
That's a good idea, I've heard the name before. I'm assuming he's out of state?
I think he is tht on here.

Iggy
05-03-2011, 11:35 AM
The only way around that is FN would have to ship the serialized receiver back to the OP's residence.

We are talking about the original receiver, not the new receiver.

SJgunguy24
05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
We are talking about the original receiver, not the new receiver.

The original receiver number. FN can file paperwork with the BATFE and transfer the numbers as long as they destroy the original receiver. Normally thats a huge PITA so they don't do that. But that is the only way to avoid FFL and DROS.

9unknown
05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
The original receiver number. FN can file paperwork with the BATFE and transfer the numbers as long as they destroy the original receiver. Normally thats a huge PITA so they don't do that. But that is the only way to avoid FFL and DROS.

That's kind of what I figured would have to happen. I'll speak with FN and see if they're willing to do that, if not then probably have the new rifle shipped out to rifle gear where I originally purchased it. Kind of sucks that I would have to pay DROS fees again.

JayBeeJay
05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Everything has lemons - I've got about 600 rounds through my 17S with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Not necassarily...I'm just saying for 3 racks I don't think there should be any issues. I'm not too hip to the subject of faulty SCAR's, but I would be pissed if I spent 3 racks and have to have the whole rifle replaced.

Plisk
05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
You have to re-DROS it once the new serialed rifle comes in. Make sure your dealer knows this.

9unknown
05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Not necassarily...I'm just saying for 3 racks I don't think there should be any issues. I'm not too hip to the subject of faulty SCAR's, but I would be pissed if I spent 3 racks and have to have the whole rifle replaced.

Yeah, I wasn't exactly excited about the notion of my brand new $3k rifle needing to be sent back, but it does happen. I just don't know why they didn't design it with the most popular magazines in mind. I even tried some C-Products mags and they caused even more issues than the PMags/Emags. I probably spent nearly $300 on magazines alone just trying to figure out what works best.

JayBeeJay
05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
^^^ That sucks brotha, sorry to hear that. I really want that 17s and even started saving some bread for it, but this is making me think twice about the quality of the rifle if something as simple as mags can damage it that bad.

thmpr
05-03-2011, 1:11 PM
A reputable source I spoke to advised not to buy any SCAR 17S for the next 9 months until the uogrades are implemented. As far as what upgrades he/she was referring to? I have no clue.

JayBeeJay
05-03-2011, 1:20 PM
^^^ Good looking out bruh!

SJgunguy24
05-03-2011, 1:25 PM
Yeah, I wasn't exactly excited about the notion of my brand new $3k rifle needing to be sent back, but it does happen. I just don't know why they didn't design it with the most popular magazines in mind. I even tried some C-Products mags and they caused even more issues than the PMags/Emags. I probably spent nearly $300 on magazines alone just trying to figure out what works best.

FAL Mags can be modified to work with the SCAR 17.

762.DEFENSE
05-03-2011, 1:35 PM
Good to know FN stands by their product and are fixing the problem to you free of cost.

9unknown
05-03-2011, 1:35 PM
FAL Mags can be modified to work with the SCAR 17.

Mine is a 16s. I even made the modifications to my Pmags for the bolt catch to sit properly, but that still didn't keep rounds from occasionally jamming on the chamber face.

munkeeboi
05-03-2011, 1:55 PM

I've had zero problems running both in my SCAR 16. The Pmags were a bit tight at first, but now drop free. Emags have always run great.

dfletcher
05-03-2011, 2:09 PM
Due to some issues I was having with my SCAR 16s I sent it back to FN about a month ago. Just today I received word that they would be sending me a brand new rifle with a new serial number. I've never had to have a rifle replaced before, so what I'm wondering is will it need to be sent from FN to a FFL so the new serial number can be registered to me?

http://fnforum.net/wear-tear-update-t25239.html

When I received a replacement (different serial number) Volquartson Evolution they sent it to an FFL, I had to do the 10 day wait.

Knife Edge
05-03-2011, 2:13 PM

No worries. You can FedEx (priority overnight) a handgun or rifle to a manufacturer or authorized repair facility and they can send it back to you. No requirement for long gun registration. If they sent you back a new handgun with a different serial number then you need an FFL.

Knife Edge
05-03-2011, 2:26 PM
My .02 on the cause, the 10/20 and 10/30 pmags. Vendors are concerned of a magazine being able to forcefully accept 11 rounds that they make the modified 10 rounders very tight, much tighter than a fully loaded 20 or 30 rounder. (Many military units only load 30 rounders to 27 or 28 to reduce the likelihood of a FTF during emergency and tactical reloads). This tighter loaded magazine exerts exception upward force on the carrier likely resulting in the deformation you are experiencing on the top of your bolt (the lugs).

I had similar issues with my 10/30 Pmag, went down to 9 rounds and problems of FTF solved. I took the SCAR to NV and loaded up a 30 rounder and didn't have any issues although I noticed that emergency reloads went faster with only 29 rounds in the mag.

File or dremel those p/emags.

luckystrike
05-03-2011, 2:40 PM
very interesting, never knew that about Pmags and scars. BTW makesure they send the rifle with a bulletbutton or upper and lower seperated

Dhena81
05-03-2011, 2:54 PM
The problem with Magpul magazines isn't the tightness of the body its with the bolt catch raised enough for your bolt to hit the mag catch.

VIFuVd7-HFs&feature

Good luck modifying your FAL mags for the SCAR 17 its not a simple conversion from my understanding its approx 2 min in the feed lips are different among other things.

K0kb47txzzU

richzmn
05-03-2011, 3:01 PM
It says in the manual to only use Scar 16 magazines, which is a USGI mag.

I only use:

Scar mags
USGI mags
Tango Down mags
HK M16/AR15 steel mags

The issue with Pmags has nothing to do with drop free, it has to do with the notch at the back of the mag. P mags have a "V" and the other mags I listed have a "U" or square notch.

If you had a glock pistol you wouldn't use 1911 mags or vice versa. Your lucky they gave you a new rifle. It's a good idea to see how things function before you use them.

ke6guj
05-03-2011, 3:15 PM
federal law even allows for the FFL to send a replacement firearm, with a different serial number, directly back to the owner, without needing to use an FFL to receive it for the owner. Unfortunately, CA law does not appear to allow for this.

9unknown
05-03-2011, 4:42 PM
If you had a glock pistol you wouldn't use 1911 mags or vice versa. Your lucky they gave you a new rifle. It's a good idea to see how things function before you use them.

I certainly wouldn't use glock magazines in a 1911, but I would use Emags in my SCAR since on Magpul's website they are advertised as being compatible, even though that is not 100% true. Like I said, I found this out the hard way.

And yes I am lucky they're sending me a brand new rifle. The failure was not catastrophic and it probably could have gone on for quite some time without having major problems, I can't really say. I honestly only expected maybe a new bolt, but since they're replacing the entire rifle it leads me to think it may have been something more than just the P/Emags.

Cato
05-03-2011, 6:32 PM
Wow, you put a lot of rounds through that gun!

How many SCAR owners will get to 1000 rounds and notice issues like yours?

9unknown
05-03-2011, 6:51 PM
Wow, you put a lot of rounds through that gun!

How many SCAR owners will get to 1000 rounds and notice issues like yours?

From what I'm seeing on the FN forums not too many. Some even run Pmags with no problems whatsoever, some have had similar issues but nothing like mine. I think I just ended up being one of the unlucky ones. Though I did put alot of rounds through it in a pretty short amount of time, the gun is just over 6 months old.

I like to shoot. :D

X-NewYawker
05-03-2011, 7:24 PM
Couldn't they replace it with a good gun?
:)

drclark
05-03-2011, 7:29 PM
Surprised no acr fanboys have jumped in on this thread yet...

X-NewYawker
05-03-2011, 7:31 PM
ACR, SCAR, XCR -- all pale before the Krinker Plinker

9unknown
05-03-2011, 8:16 PM
Couldn't they replace it with a good gun?
:)

LOL. I asked, they said hells no.

Knife Edge
05-03-2011, 8:20 PM
Post 29 and resting the gun on the magazine while firing.

docsmileyface
05-04-2011, 8:44 AM
I rest all of my weapons on the magazine and haven't had a malfunction in any of them doing so except for one AR who's extractor spring went out.

Uxi
05-04-2011, 9:52 AM
A reputable source I spoke to advised not to buy any SCAR 17S for the next 9 months until the uogrades are implemented. As far as what upgrades he/she was referring to? I have no clue.

Interesting. I'm definitely wanting a 17S, but nto planning until next summer anyway.

kozumasbullitt
05-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Interesting. I'm definitely wanting a 17S, but nto planning until next summer anyway.

Order now then because I don't think we will be seeing a 17s for 9 months. I have been waiting for 3 months come tomorrow and there is no end in sight.

richzmn
05-04-2011, 5:19 PM
I certainly wouldn't use glock magazines in a 1911, but I would use Emags in my SCAR since on Magpul's website they are advertised as being compatible, even though that is not 100% true. Like I said, I found this out the hard way.

And yes I am lucky they're sending me a brand new rifle. The failure was not catastrophic and it probably could have gone on for quite some time without having major problems, I can't really say. I honestly only expected maybe a new bolt, but since they're replacing the entire rifle it leads me to think it may have been something more than just the P/Emags.

I only made the comment about mags, because in your original post you said:

"As a matter of fact yes, I run P-Mags and I thought that maybe this could potentially be part of the problem. I have heard of people filing down the inside of the mag well which does not sound appealing to me in the least, but I think that is to ensure the mags drop freely. Care to elaborate on the filing down of the mag itself? I think I'll be picking up some E-Mags soon anyhow".

When I got my scar 16, I was aware of this and skipped magpul period. They probably gave you the new rifle because I don't think they stock many parts.

richzmn
05-04-2011, 5:46 PM
Try these, they also make 10 rounders:

http://www.44mag.com/product/d_h_ar15_magazine_black_teflon/d_h_industries

Arkangel86
05-04-2011, 6:42 PM
Try these, they also make 10 rounders:

http://www.44mag.com/product/d_h_ar15_magazine_black_teflon/d_h_industries

Dont pay extra for the painted ones, they are ****ty, do it yourself if you want a FDE mag

Knife Edge
05-04-2011, 9:39 PM
I rest all of my weapons on the magazine and haven't had a malfunction in any of them doing so except for one AR who's extractor spring went out.

Do you do it with a 10/30 pmag and a SCAR 16s? Not trying to be a D--- but, the OP is having a problem with a SCAR 16S and modified pmags jamming the BCG group up while its feeding. You doing this with an AR is irrelevant unless you just want to post something that contradicts.

docsmileyface
05-05-2011, 5:14 AM
Not with PMags, but with the 10/30 FN mag it came with when shooting my brother in law's 16S and with the 10/20 I've got for my 17S. Never tried with a Pmag because everything I've read on FNForums and videos Sturmgewher put up say it'll **** up your gun.

Sanderhawk
05-05-2011, 5:31 AM
Thats cool that company these days stands by their product. Your also getting a brand new gun. Thats way better than a brand new part on a gun.