PDA

View Full Version : Battle ready Ar Advise

cr250chevy
05-02-2011, 5:07 PM
I'm looking into getting a battle ready Ar. Any thoughts on brand/make? Heres what I'm looking for: military grade SHTF Ar 15; 16", flip up front and rear buis, free float barrel, able to sustain rapid but semi auto fire. So far I'm looking into BCM, or a colt upper with some other brand lower... Maybe noveske.
Anyone know where in bay/ sac area to pick up a bcm or colt upper?
I dOnt know much bout gas piston ar15s. Any battle worthy models out there?
Not interested in non Ar 15 platforms (xcr, acr, sig556, etc)
Thanks for any imput

cr250chevy
05-02-2011, 5:09 PM
Edit: *input* and a *complete BCM*

Ripon83
05-02-2011, 5:10 PM
Colt Uppers are more expensive then I think they are worth; there are equally solid products on the market for $500 that will do the trick and meet your needs.....then you'll have more to spend on magazines, accessories, and ammunition. ... I love Colt but having an Upper Colt for the AR just doesn't mean what it use too....I don't think.

I'm looking into getting a battle ready Ar. Any thoughts on brand/make? Heres what I'm looking for: military grade SHTF Ar 15; 16", flip up front and rear buis, free float barrel, able to sustain rapid but semi auto fire. So far I'm looking into BCM, or a colt upper with some other brand lower... Maybe noveske.
Anyone know where in bay/ sac area to pick up a bcm or colt upper?
I dOnt know much bout gas piston ar15s. Any battle worthy models out there?
Not interested in non Ar 15 platforms (xcr, acr, sig556, etc)
Thanks for any imput

97F1504RAD
05-02-2011, 5:29 PM
LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM and the list keeps going.

Here is some useful information for you.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=349687

Also you know you can edit your own post if you click the button that says EDIT located right next to the QUOTE button.

cr250chevy
05-02-2011, 5:40 PM
I'm on my iPhone can't edit...

wash
05-02-2011, 5:45 PM
That is incorrect.

(edit)

8200rpm
05-02-2011, 5:49 PM
Battle?

http://www.giochinokia.it/wp-content/uploads/hip-hop-battle.jpg

bombadillo
05-02-2011, 5:55 PM
Receiver of your choice
Armalite or Colt lower parts kit
Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LMT upper, you pick the length and details
Troy flip up battle sights or Carry Handle
Basic 6 position buttstock

DONE!

This will be a simple but effective setup without all the crap on it. I am just building a K.I.S.S. rifle and am doing something similar to what I put. I don't find the use anymore for the "Battle Ready" stuff like BCM/Colt/ETC because I honestly don't use them to their extremes as a battle rifle should. I'm not really going through carbine course stuff, combat or otherwise so I find that its just overkill for my use. I put one together with the carry handle for just around $750 all said and done. It will function just as well as what I said above for about 2/3 or less of the price.

Sonic_mike
05-02-2011, 5:56 PM
Brake dance fighting.

cr250chevy
05-02-2011, 5:57 PM
Can't find the edit option...

killshot44
05-02-2011, 5:59 PM
Join the Army, you get one for free. ;)

Seeker
05-02-2011, 6:00 PM
A flashlight is also essential. Remember that 12 hours out of the day there is light and the other 12 hours there is darkness. What guarantees you won't need your rifle in the dark? I'd also recommend tritium sights.

dieselpower
05-02-2011, 6:02 PM
That M4 chart is bull poop. Its a complete sales gimmick.

Every manufacture on that chart is basically the same. Any feature that chart says is better for a battle rifle is just a sales tactic.

Every manufacture on that list has issues that make the AR15 suspect and subject to failures until its worked for 1000 rounds. Only after 500 to 1000 rounds down the pipe of flawless operation can you say a firearm is battle ready.

Even after that... a Colt M4 jams, mis-feeds, and breaks requiring someone to repair it.

There is no magic goo that one manufacture has over another. There is no test, there is no steel, there is no manufacturing process.... its all a salesman's stick to get you to buy his favorite poop.

Not a single point on that chart is supported by truth. It's junk science at the best and doesnt tell you the whole truth......and at the worse..its a complete LIE.

yeah I know this was a troll post by cr250chevy.

buy what ever you want. Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it.

Call_me_Tom
05-02-2011, 6:04 PM
I went with a complete BCM but you'll want to spend your money on the upper, the lower can be what ever.

rattlesnake_nm
05-02-2011, 6:14 PM
Complete lightweight bcm ftw

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/DSCN1653.jpg

stormy_clothing
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
battle read rifle...there can be only 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QbZWg4lRkg&NR=1

bombadillo
05-03-2011, 12:28 PM
http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=277_290_388&products_id=558&zenid=vu0qbvorpv94cnsodqij1lhk86

"battle ready"

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/images/SAIGA16mark.jpg

$409

evidens83
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Battle ready? lol...

dieselpower
05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
^ SEAL Team 6 just called me, they want me to fill in while they go on vacation, what gun do I need to buy?

evidens83
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
OP, are you even battle trained to handle a battle ready AR ;) A battle ready AR should be the one you have extensive use and training with and that functions reliably whether it be that Del Ton range plinker or that Noveske safe queen.

cmace22
05-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Any gun can malfunction.

There is a very flat curve from the worst to the best AR manufacturer.

Pick one from a quality manufacturer. DD, LMT, Colt, BCM, Stag, Noveske to name a few.

Most get there parts from the same vendors anyways.....

Running it hard and putting lots of rounds down range is the only way to know if it will work for you when you need it, and even then its not a guarantee it wont break down on you.

Training above most everything will be what gets you out of trouble not your "battle ready" weapon.

MacDime
05-03-2011, 12:59 PM
What battle are you going to be using this rifle in?

thrillhouse700
05-03-2011, 1:06 PM
Is this going to be your first firearm?

rgs1975
05-03-2011, 1:20 PM
I don't think the term "Battle Rifle" can be applied to any modern AR type weapon with a 10 round magazine restriction and having to use a "tool" to simply change magazines. No modern weapon for war should have those restrictions.

dieselpower
05-03-2011, 1:57 PM
I don't think the term "Battle Rifle" can be applied to any modern AR type weapon with a 10 round magazine restriction and having to use a "tool" to simply change magazines. No modern weapon for war should have those restrictions.

The Army is going to start using them for inventory control. It will help keep the ammo budget low. It forces the Soldier to make each shot count.

:D

JayBeeJay
05-03-2011, 2:05 PM
Why do you need a battle ready AR? I take it if you need to ask about makes and what to get you must not be trained or know too much about the AR platform, so what will the main purpose of the rifle be? Might save you some dollars doing an economical build instead of getting a "battle ready" AR ya dig.

till44
05-03-2011, 2:12 PM
That M4 chart is bull poop.

Check out the new chart, its been updated and now includes no brands/manufacturers, only descriptions of what one should look for in a quality part.

762.DEFENSE
05-03-2011, 2:38 PM
:iagree:

r6raff
05-03-2011, 2:49 PM
Brutal, just brutal...

I personally like BCM, its a solid weapon and not crazy expensive like some.

Check out BCMs Filthy fourteen. 30,000 plus rounds and only cleaned once. Granted, most non **** manufacturers could probably pull this off, not sure if I have seen any articles or range reports with similar tests with other brands though... but I bet most could.

dieselpower
05-03-2011, 2:54 PM
Check out the new chart, its been updated and now includes no brands/manufacturers, only descriptions of what one should look for in a quality part.

same stick..different game.

"oh man I really need the mil-spec barrel steel. What brands carry it?"

If you think by leaving off the brands the salesman are being honest... I want you to Look at all these properties I have for sale...no pressure just look.

I don't want to pre-judge so I maybe wrong.

I'll read it someday. If it says what I think it does..its just poop with ice cream on top. I doubt the guys at M4C are going to tell you the whole truth. The truth goes against their philosophy of AR15s.

cmace22
05-03-2011, 3:05 PM

That list of what to look for has been there for some time now. Rob_s is doing a new chart that I dont think is done yet. At least thats what I get from reading the threads.

Post a link, Id be interested in reading it but I base my purchases off something different.

metalliman545
05-03-2011, 3:08 PM
Ill sell you my battle ready ar. I'm an iraq war vet I know what makes an ar battle ready wanna buy it? Ill sell it for the friend prices of 3500$ with 2 mags. Its straight legit

dieselpower
05-03-2011, 3:17 PM
That list of what to look for has been there for some time now. Rob_s is doing a new chart that I don't think is done yet. At least thats what I get from reading the threads.

Post a link, Id be interested in reading it but I base my purchases off something different.

When the chart has a warning that a Mil-spec barrel has the INCREASED CHANCE to explode due to how it was made and is an acceptable risk since the military will change any barrel that has been subject to that type of stress..... AND.... the chart includes the FACT a 4140 barrel does NOT have that risk. I will say the chart is stepping from a sales pitch to an honest attempt to educate AR15 users.

They are not going to tell you that.... Why? Because you don't need to know that...Why? Because you can't heat a barrel up like that like you can on a select fire... and if you could you would understand the HUGE freaking danger you face when you do dump 10 magazines with a 4150CMV barrel.

No they are not...they simply want to sell you the IDEA you are a "operator"...you are a cool zombie fighter... You must use what the cool spec-op guys use. They have sold this line of crap to LEO and civilians for over 10 years now. Its all BS.

When you can justify firing full auto for THREE MINUTES, dumping over 12, 30 rd magazines at once...I will say you need a 4150CMV, and YOU MUST CHANGE THE BARREL after it cools. After it cools it may not allow even 1 magazine dump before it explodes like a freaking pipe bomb.