PDA

View Full Version : No limit to repeated thread questions?

NYY
05-02-2011, 4:05 PM
How is there no rule or something by now. Have been seeing way too many "ar build question" and other types of threads that are the exact same. I understand the fact you want your own thread with your own question, but the answers are out there..... just sayin..yea this is not a centerfire related thread, but come on

Droppin Deuces
05-02-2011, 4:07 PM
This should be in the general discussion forum.

M.C.
05-02-2011, 4:18 PM
I can say that the search function is helpful... some of the time. Often people will ask a repeated question because they have had no luck with the search tool

Personally, repeated posts don't bother me. They don't take any skin off my back.

rromeo
05-02-2011, 4:20 PM
Isn't there already a thread about this?

762.DEFENSE
05-02-2011, 4:22 PM

Lol several. :claps:

tomd1584
05-02-2011, 4:24 PM
its kinda like starting a non- centerfire Rifles related thread in the Centerfire Rifles section....People just do it regardless of rules.

The difference is in the moderators. Some Forums quickly delete and/or move threads, other forums they don't. It just depends.

762.DEFENSE
05-02-2011, 4:28 PM
It really doesnt bother me. I thought we were all here on the basis of learning more about the sport/hobby we enjoy. Then trying to help each other out as a collective. If it really bothers you, dont open every forum thread that you know will be redundant in nature.

NYY
05-02-2011, 4:34 PM
seems like there are too many people replying in those repetitive threads saying "there is a thread for this somewhere.." or... "beating a dead horse here.."

nagorb
05-02-2011, 4:46 PM

Yeah, the OP should think before he posts another thread complaining about the very thing he's doing in the wrong forum:rolleyes:

BobbyZ
05-02-2011, 4:47 PM
Sure, those people should quiet down and let people learn. Create your own forum or suggest a non-question thread or a senior member only thread. Don't just cry about it.

nagorb
seems like there are too many people replying in those repetitive threads saying "there is a thread for this somewhere.." or... "beating a dead horse here.."

Yes, those DBs are beating a dead horse by clicking on the threads and complaining.

BobbyZ

Oh, and nice^

Lucky Scott
05-02-2011, 4:48 PM
It doesnt bother me, if I dont want to read it, I just click away to another thread.

smilee
05-02-2011, 5:11 PM
Bieng one of those people who have made a repetitive thread I understand why. When I know I have seen a thread that I am looking for and couldn't find it in the search. It is nice to be able to make a thread and still get good answers. And not to many people saying this has already been talked about. But I can appreciate it when someone post the link to another thread. Also it is nice to have some of the repeated threads when you are just browsing and learning, I cannot tell you how much I have learned from repetitive threads. Not to mention that some times you get different/additional information. So the repetitive threads do not bother me, and it kills me when people respond with complaints rather than just help a guy out. Thank you calguns for all the info I have learned from the receptive posts.

ArkinDomino
05-02-2011, 5:13 PM
Use he search button when asking about people who refuse to use the search button. This thread will now be a result in a future search but it makes no difference.

ArkinDomino
05-02-2011, 5:13 PM
Use the search button when asking about people who refuse to use the search button. This thread will now be a result in a future search but it makes no difference.

nagorb
05-02-2011, 5:39 PM
It doesnt bother me, if I dont want to read it, I just click away to another thread.:eek:

What is this no click thing you speak of? I thought we were required to read every thread:confused:

NorCalK9.com
05-02-2011, 6:10 PM
doesnt bother me a bit oh yeah osoma is dead woo hoo

Librarian
05-02-2011, 6:14 PM
:eek:

What is this no click thing you speak of? I thought we were required to read every thread:confused:

Don't say that...

To answer the OP, 1) there's no way to stop it and 2) a mod would have to read just about everything and remember having read it. If the questions come in a couple weeks apart, I know I've forgotten the earlier ones.

nagorb
05-02-2011, 6:21 PM
Don't say that...

To answer the OP, 1) there's no way to stop it and 2) a mod would have to read just about everything and remember having read it. If the questions come in a couple weeks apart, I know I've forgotten the earlier ones.

But you're the Librarian dude! I thought you had everything filed away in your head, Dewey style?

Don29palms
05-02-2011, 6:38 PM
Kind of like people asking about cheap BCGs?

NYY
05-02-2011, 7:05 PM
Kind of like people asking about cheap BCGs?

haha yep. or "quality trigger?" or "mosin nagant problem?" or "banned colt lower?" or "ak47 fail to eject?" or "ar 15 multiple failure to fires?"

taloft
05-02-2011, 9:36 PM
Think of the forum as a river of gun knowledge and we are passengers in a boat. The scenery is the information. While the scenery doesn't change much from day to day, the water is always moving. As we wend our way down the river of gun knowledge we are able to see more and more scenery. Some people get off the boat along the way while others get on. These new passengers haven't seen the scenery you have so, they sometimes ask questions about what came before. Since they weren't aboard earlier, they don't know that the 4 passengers that just got off the boat had asked you the same question when they got on two stops ago.

Sticking with this analogy, the search engine is just a map of the river. It will provide you with a multitude of choices(forks in the river), that may or may not be where you want to go. You won't know until you try a fork. Unfortunately, life is short and we often don't have the time to explore every fork in our quest to find the right scenery. Some people just suck at reading maps.

People have helped me in the past so, I just consider it paying it forward by helping the next person. Usually, I just post a relevant link(point to the correct fork) and move on. If I feel that they are slacking in their effort to find the information, and just want it to be spoon fed to them, I'll ignore them. If they make silly posts, I'll give a long winded explanation much like this one.;):D

NYY
05-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Think of the forum as a river of gun knowledge and we are passengers in a boat. The scenery is the information. While the scenery doesn't change much from day to day, the water is always moving. As we wend our way down the river of gun knowledge we are able to see more and more scenery. Some people get off the boat along the way while others get on. These new passengers haven't seen the scenery you have so, they sometimes ask questions about what came before. Since they weren't aboard earlier, they don't know that the 4 passengers that just got off the boat had asked you the same question when they got on two stops ago.

Sticking with this analogy, the search engine is just a map of the river. It will provide you with a multitude of choices(forks in the river), that may or may not be where you want to go. You won't know until you try a fork. Unfortunately, life is short and we often don't have the time to explore every fork in our quest to find the right scenery. Some people just suck at reading maps.

People have helped me in the past so, I just consider it paying it forward by helping the next person. Usually, I just post a relevant link(point to the correct fork) and move on. If I feel that they are slacking in their effort to find the information, and just want it to be spoon fed to them, I'll ignore them. If they make silly posts, I'll give a long winded explanation much like this one.;):D

this should be like put on a wall, framed or something.

mlevans66
05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
This should be in the general discussion forum.

Ohh yeah! Killa has a point but

:beatdeadhorse5:

voiceoftheright
05-02-2011, 10:19 PM
How is there no rule or something by now. Have been seeing way too many "ar build question" and other types of threads that are the exact same. I understand the fact you want your own thread with your own question, but the answers are out there..... just sayin..yea this is not a centerfire related thread, but come on

Only a few months back you were the one asking the same question asked 10 times the day before. I know because I kept saying, "who the hell is LG MARINE and why did he start another three threads today?"

nagorb
05-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Only a few months back you were the one asking the same question asked 10 times the day before. I know because I kept saying, "who the hell is LG MARINE and why did he start another three threads today?"

Well he did just start a thread that has been beaten to death a thousand times.

supersonic
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Ohh yeah! Killa has a point but

Yo, Dog, this is gettin' to be a bit much, dontcha' think?

thrillhouse700
05-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Did you not ask about a quality trigger a bit ago? I'm sure there are more posted by you. This is a place for people to learn, not get beat up for trying to better their knowledge.

MOST people on this forum have learned things they would have NEVER learned through gun shop FUD or google. Yes, sometimes they get repetitive but think about it. The more people starting a, "How do I build an AR thread" = more people on our side of the gun control battle.

nagorb
05-02-2011, 11:41 PM
It's nice that when these threads come up the general consensus is, if you don't like go cry elsewhere. This was NOT the case when I first signed up.

evidens83
05-03-2011, 7:34 AM
IIRC OP himself has started many duped question threads....

apbrian112
05-03-2011, 8:12 AM

this may be the best analogy of repetitive posts i've ever read... well put. I only find it annoying when a new thread pops up when the exact same question is on a post 2 posts down... pretty much the spoon feeding you speak of.