PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 problem, or just me?

hkfooey
11-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Usually I blame myself for shooting bad ...because 99% of the time is the shooter – not the firearm.

My friend got my interested in doing trap/skeet shooting, since I want to make sure I really like it or not – I bought a Big 5 Mossberg 500 special with both 28 + 18 barrel for $220 – not a bad deal.

This is not the first time I shoot – I have shot with a Rem 1187 and Beretta 391 – both are really nice and semi-auto (verse Moss 500 – which is a pump).

Took it to the range this morning – came home with a bused cheek and a hurt shoulder. :(

What I am doing wrong with a bused cheek? I have no idea what I did wrong? I "hug" the stock as close as I can to my cheek – lean forward and BAM!!

After 3 rounds – (25 * 3 = 75 shells), I had to quit. I can handle the shoulder (just need more upper body strength)... but what the hack with the cheek?? :mad:

I did not have that problem when I was shooting with the 11-87 or 391. Both of them are semi-auto, which could only mean less recoil (less on shoulder).

Like I say – may be “you get what you pay for”? Apart from the fancy engraving and wood, there has to be a different between an entry level and the < $1K 12 ga. :confused:

The funny thing is that my wife asked me if I went into a fight when I got home. ;)

By the way - my results were 1/25, 9/25 & 13/25 - I suck!!

NwG
11-26-2006, 1:59 AM
Make sure the butpad is firmly on your sholder.. In the "pocket".. Get a good cheekweld.. Many people tend to lift there cheek off the the stock to look over the barrel when shooting skeet.. And use a push / pull method of shooting..

Plant the stock firmly in you sholder with your trigger hand.. and use your support hand to pull foward on the foregrip of the shotgun.. Don't pull the shotgun off you sholder, bit use a good amount of force pulling foward...

This method can reduce fetl recoil a TON!!! It also reduces muzzle rise and helps with a much faster follow up shot..

Hope this helps... Oh, one of those limb-saver recoil pad would not hurt (haha) at all!

Corbin Dallas
11-26-2006, 2:02 PM
Buy a knoxx stock. I did and love it.

M590A1 here.

WhiteGT
11-26-2006, 7:04 PM
Its probably the way you are holding it. I just shot about 100 rounds through my 500 (20") today and I feel fine. And I am by no means thick. Zero padding here. The only time I hurt my cheek was do to those cool magnum slugs I shot.

rayra
11-27-2006, 11:30 PM
'Stock weld'. You aren't planting the 500 into your shoulder firmly enough (while simultaneously planting your face on it too firmly). You are giving it enough room to kick you, so it did. More than once.

hkfooey
11-27-2006, 11:59 PM
I "kind" of think it could be the way I was holding the gun... but I did not have that problem before with a 11-87 or 391.

Would the length of the stock makes any different??

Thanks again guys!! :)

mow
11-28-2006, 8:03 AM
I have the same rifle, I also use it for trap and I have been busted in the cheek as well.

The trick is to keep a firm grip using your forward hand to push the foregrip forward (read NwG's post above) and lean into the recoil, at least for me that has stopped my cheek from getting bruised. :p

In most cases a semi auto is going to have less kick than a pump action rifle. In a semi auto a portion of the gases expelled from each round cause the action to cycle there by reducing the felt recoil. In a pump action rifle without porting all of the felt recoil will be on your shoulder as the gases are not put to another use.

rayra
11-28-2006, 11:39 PM
I "kind" of think it could be the way I was holding the gun... but I did not have that problem before with a 11-87 or 391.

Would the length of the stock makes any different??

Thanks again guys!! :)More likely you are holding them all the same, it's just that the softer recoil of the semi-/gas-guns is letting you get away with it.
Stock length shouldn't have an effect on how firmly you are planting the stock into your shoulder.