PDA

View Full Version : Making 1911 black.

Delfunk2015
05-02-2011, 4:37 PM
Been rolling around the idea of making my parkerized Springfield Armory 1911 MilSpec matte black. Any suggestions on what the best way to do this is and who does a good job doing it if i need to send it out? or if its just a bad idea all together.
Thanks for your help calgunners!

Q619
05-02-2011, 4:52 PM
What exactly is "Milspec matte black"? Parkerized is pretty much the military standard in regards to finish. You could also have it matte blued for a nice matte black finish or Ion Bond DLC'd (for considerably more $$). Were you thinking more along the lines of a teflon type coating?

MongooseV8
05-02-2011, 4:52 PM
Parkerizing is one of the best finishes you can have on a gun IMO. It will keep your metal from rusting, it soaks up oil like a sponge. But if you wanted a different color I would go with a product similar to Duracoat. Im pretty impressed with the Duracoat jobs I have seen online and IRL.

For the best results you would have to sand/blast off the parkerizing first. Then the usual metal prep work, then the Duracoat process. Im not sure its really worth the trouble unless you like projects like that.

Im thinking about Duracoating my polished stainless Kimber Eclipse, function over form is my motto...

DArBad
05-02-2011, 4:57 PM
Been rolling around the idea of making my parkerized Springfield Armory 1911 MilSpec matte black. Any suggestions on what the best way to do this is and who does a good job doing it if i need to send it out? or if its just a bad idea all together.
Thanks for your help calgunners!

Delfunk,

When I still had my Mil-Spec SA, I sent it to the SA Custom shop for their black armory kote. But I wanted the glossy one and that was what I had. They also have a subdued black armory kote. I had it done around 2005 so their price must have gone up since then.

Delfunk2015
05-02-2011, 4:59 PM
What exactly is "Milspec matte black"? Parkerized is pretty much the military standard in regards to finish. You could also have it matte blued for a nice matte black finish or Ion Bond DLC'd (for considerably more $$). Were you thinking more along the lines of a teflon type coating?

oh sorry i meant i had a parkerized 1911 milspec model and i wanted it to be a matte/flat black finish instead =) im a total nub at handgun refinishing so not sure if this is even possible. i saw earlier that some one duracoated a sig and it looked pretty righteous. just wondering what are some options. =)

Q619
05-02-2011, 5:03 PM
I'd probably have it Black T coated. Among the best Spray and bake finishes and is only $150 (not including shipping).

jrr
05-02-2011, 5:08 PM
I'd suggest KG GunKote. I did mine in flat black, which came out satin because I used a very fine grit when I sandblasted. Only hard part is that you really need to media blast it using an aluminum oxide media at around 120grit. I have done a couple projects without blasting first, and it is nowhere near as durable. Brownells sells it as a spray can. I used an airbrush and bought the cans from KG directly.

It is super tough, completely corrosion proof, and looks good too. If your willing to invest in a little time and effort you can get a fantastic finish for around sixty bucks of material.

Delfunk2015
05-02-2011, 5:19 PM
thanks to everybody for these ideas, keep em coming if you got em!