PDA

View Full Version : Problem with AR safety detent

hoffmang
11-25-2006, 11:08 PM
All,

I tried to register on AR15.com but it looks like it takes a while to be approved so...

I have a 3 of a lower receiver of variety that will remain nameless to protect the likely innocent. 2 builds turned out just fine, but one...

The safety switch detent seems to either be too large or the hole is too small. The kit was a model 1 parts kit *ducks the valid abuse* so I'm going to blame that for now.

I was able to force the safety selector enough to back the detent out far enough to use the safety but the detent is basically doing nothing. What I'm now trying to do is figure out how to get the detent out so I can buy a real one from Midway and replace it.

Any ideas? I don't seem to have enough room to remove the safety and then push the detent from the other side. Maybe cooling Aluminum will make it shrink? I don't have good enough super glue to try to adhere something to the bottom of the detent but may try that...

Thanks in advance. I have too many grip alternatives on the way and need to get this bug worked out. I promise everyone here that I'm using an RRA 2 stage kit on the next two CMMGs I just DROSed.

-Gene

NwG
11-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Is the detent stuck in the hole? Or is it just really hard to switch the safety? I have noticed with new detents they can be a little to "sharp" You can break the edge with a stone and it will work like planned...

jumbopanda
11-26-2006, 1:14 AM
Time to break out the file or some sandpaper.

m1371
11-26-2006, 4:24 AM
All,

I tried to register on AR15.com but it looks like it takes a while to be approved so...

I have a 3 of a lower receiver of variety that will remain nameless to protect the likely innocent. 2 builds turned out just fine, but one...

The safety switch detent seems to either be too large or the hole is too small. The kit was a model 1 parts kit *ducks the valid abuse* so I'm going to blame that for now.

I was able to force the safety selector enough to back the detent out far enough to use the safety but the detent is basically doing nothing. What I'm now trying to do is figure out how to get the detent out so I can buy a real one from Midway and replace it.

Any ideas? I don't seem to have enough room to remove the safety and then push the detent from the other side. Maybe cooling Aluminum will make it shrink? I don't have good enough super glue to try to adhere something to the bottom of the detent but may try that...

Thanks in advance. I have too many grip alternatives on the way and need to get this bug worked out. I promise everyone here that I'm using an RRA 2 stage kit on the next two CMMGs I just DROSed.

-Gene

So what you're saying is that the safety detent pin is stuck inside the hole?

I don't think cooling down the receiver is going to free it up like you're thinking.

Is the detent so far up in there that you can't get to the base end of it? If that's the case I would advise against trying superglue, as you might end up going from bad to worse.

Can you get the safety lever out to where you can access the top end of the hole where the detent engages against the safety lever?

I've got an idea that might work, but not being able to actually see the problem is slowing me down a bit.

hoffmang
11-26-2006, 10:21 AM
The detent is stuck in the hole. However, it is far enough releived from the safety selector that I can turn the safety selector. I did have to force it to get there.

My hope is to get the darn thing out and either replace with a new one or file/sand the detent sides down.

The base is about 1/8" in to the detent hole. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to drill it out.

-Gene

adamsreeftank
11-26-2006, 12:56 PM
I would remove the trigger parts and try to wiggle the safety around until you can get it out of the receiver. You might squirt some WD40 or penetrating oil into the detent hole. Try tapping the lower on a table as you wiggle the safety until it comes out. Then use a bent paper clip to push the detent out.

Good luck.

hoffmang
11-26-2006, 2:30 PM
I tried some lube and am about to try WD-40. It will probably penetrate better. I've been bumping it for a while as I agree that if I can just get the safety out, I'll be set.

More news after an afternoon of bumping the thing.

-Gene

NeoWeird
11-26-2006, 3:35 PM
Drilling is NOT an option. The tip of the drill will not want to grab the hardened detent and the drill will wander, creating a total mess of your soft aluminum receiver.

The paperclip thing is the best bet. I would remove the hammer and trigger first, then try and knock the receiver while turning the safety selector. Right now it sounds like the detent is low enough to clear the travel channel in the selector, but not enough to let you remove the safety selector itself. So knocking the receiver and turning the safety should eventually get the safety to turn completely 360 and the selector should be able to be pulled out. Then, as suggested, use a paper clip. I'd suggest turning one end into a long curver and keep the other one more or less straight. Use the curved end first and snake it in, once you can't push it any more, turn the paperclip around and try to go as straight in as you can. After that you should have it free enough to let it drop free, or pushed out enough to grab it with tweezers. After that, polish the bugger and you should be back in business. If it's a lower named brand receiver, you might want to chase (NOT OPEN) the hole with the appropriate drill bit just enough to remove possible excess anodizing in the hole.

hoffmang
11-26-2006, 4:51 PM
Am I nuts or is impossible to remove the trigger with the safety still in? The geometry just doesn't seem right.

This is a name brand lower. I'm still blaming the cheap parts kit for now.

I've tried WD-40 and I'm not getting very far and I'm certainly not able to get the safety selector out yet. I'll futz with it all night tonight.

I'm worried I'm going to have to cut the safety selector. If I were to drill it would be with a press and the lower vised.

Grrr..

-Gene

NeoWeird
11-26-2006, 5:02 PM
I also believe the safety has to be OFF before the trigger can be pulled up high enough to be removed.

m1371
11-26-2006, 7:54 PM
The paperclip thing is the best bet. I would remove the hammer and trigger first, then try and knock the receiver while turning the safety selector. Right now it sounds like the detent is low enough to clear the travel channel in the selector, but not enough to let you remove the safety selector itself. So knocking the receiver and turning the safety should eventually get the safety to turn completely 360 and the selector should be able to be pulled out. Then, as suggested, use a paper clip. I'd suggest turning one end into a long curver and keep the other one more or less straight. Use the curved end first and snake it in, once you can't push it any more, turn the paperclip around and try to go as straight in as you can. After that you should have it free enough to let it drop free, or pushed out enough to grab it with tweezers.

That's just what I was going to suggest.

Damn 13hr time difference..... :rolleyes:

hoffmang
11-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Dude,

Assistance from over there is highly appreciated. I'm going to try to get the trigger out now and then catch some Zzzs.

So far no luck getting it generally out.

NeoWizard: by OFF, do you mean that the safety selector has to be out of the lower? I've got my lower here and have all the pins out and the hammer out of the lower. I don't see a way to get the trigger to clear the trigger slot while the rear of the seer clears the safety. Banging the lower on a table doesn't seem to be a good idea while the trigger pin is out due to rattling around. I would like it out because I'm trying to get the safety selector to push the pin back down.

If I could get any of the pin exposed I'd be home free...

-Gene

kantstudien
11-27-2006, 12:12 AM
The kit was a model 1 parts kit

Since no one has said anything about this yet: HA HA! :p

Sorry, I had to do it. Wiggle the safety back and forth, use a polymer mallet on the safety to force the detent out of the slot if it is still stuck. Wiggle and tap, wiggle and tap.

m1371
11-27-2006, 1:06 AM
Dude,

Assistance from over there is highly appreciated. I'm going to try to get the trigger out now and then catch some Zzzs.

So far no luck getting it generally out.

NeoWizard: by OFF, do you mean that the safety selector has to be out of the lower? I've got my lower here and have all the pins out and the hammer out of the lower. I don't see a way to get the trigger to clear the trigger slot while the rear of the seer clears the safety. Banging the lower on a table doesn't seem to be a good idea while the trigger pin is out due to rattling around. I would like it out because I'm trying to get the safety selector to push the pin back down.

If I could get any of the pin exposed I'd be home free...

-Gene

What NeoWeird is telling you, to take the safety selector entire out, will let you have access to where the safety detent sticks up and engages the selector lever. Use the bent paperclip to push the safety detent back out the hole.

Let me snap a quick pic for you and whip up some MS Paint.

m1371
11-27-2006, 1:22 AM
Okay, this is what I'm trying to say.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6559/dsc00694kb3.jpg

hoffmang
11-27-2006, 11:58 AM
First: Jealousy of position three.

I hadn't started hitting the safety selector itself and I think its that time. I do grok what everyone is saying but short of using a wide punch and a hammer on the safety selector or drilling the selector itself out, I hadn't gone there yet. I'll start with a hammer and punch on the safety selector tonight and then fall to drilling if I have to in that direction before trying to drill out the detent.

As to the HAHA... I deserve it. I have two CMMG lowers on the way and they will get RRA 2 stage LPKs or Bushy LPKs.

-Gene

m1371
11-27-2006, 12:08 PM
First: Jealousy of position three.

I hadn't started hitting the safety selector itself and I think its that time. I do grok what everyone is saying but short of using a wide punch and a hammer on the safety selector or drilling the selector itself out, I hadn't gone there yet. I'll start with a hammer and punch on the safety selector tonight and then fall to drilling if I have to in that direction before trying to drill out the detent.

As to the HAHA... I deserve it. I have two CMMG lowers on the way and they will get RRA 2 stage LPKs or Bushy LPKs.

-Gene

Don't go at it with a drill, odds are VERY good you'll end up trashing the lower. Just my .02 on that subject.

To echo what kantstudien said, keep working the selector back and forth a bit while you're tapping on the flat side of the selector. And I'm pretty sure that NeoWeird is right about the selector having to be OFF the safe position (memory is kinda fuzzy on that, it's late where I'm at plus it's been a long day!). Just be patient and it'll give.

Once the selector is out, go after the detent with the paperclip as has been described.

B.J.F.
11-28-2006, 8:24 PM
if you can get the saftey selector out of the receiver, use a very thin punch thru the hole the detent sticks out of, if not use the selector rotateing it beyond the safe /fire position, to push the detent out of the hole enough to remove the selector, then use a drill bit to " clean out the hole " of excess anodizing test fit the detent, if you have to, step up one size bigger till it moves freely enough

hoffmang
11-29-2006, 8:16 PM
Technical Ted invited me over to his office to help me with this. Ted went the route of hitting the selector out of the receiver from the detent side. Once he got the safety selector out, he had to work the pin all the way in and out.

It is now out. HUGE THANKS to Ted!!!

The guilty - the safety detent pin from the model1 sales kit.
The not guilty - My STAG lower. I swapped in a pin that was working fine in another STAG into the receiver that had an issue and it worked just fine.

Moral of this story - buy one of these parts kits: RRA, Bushy, STAG, etc.

-Gene

m1371
11-29-2006, 8:59 PM
Technical Ted invited me over to his office to help me with this. Ted went the route of hitting the selector out of the receiver from the detent side. Once he got the safety selector out, he had to work the pin all the way in and out.

It is now out. HUGE THANKS to Ted!!!

The guilty - the safety detent pin from the model1 sales kit.
The not guilty - My STAG lower. I swapped in a pin that was working fine in another STAG into the receiver that had an issue and it worked just fine.

Moral of this story - buy one of these parts kits: RRA, Bushy, STAG, etc.

-Gene

Glad to hear you got it cleared up.