PDA

View Full Version : Savage .308 w/ scope - different options / models available?

PistolGuy
05-02-2011, 4:22 PM
Does anyone know if these came with 2 different scope options? The ones I am finding around here at the local gun show and shops all have a Bushnell scope but the one I found at BudsGunShop.com has some scope made by Simmons? ...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70953

Also, the ones around here are 5 round magazines and the one online here is a 3+1? Could be a total n00b question but I'm hoping someone here has some insight for me ... thanks!

PistolGuy
05-02-2011, 4:22 PM
Also, by buying online and doing an FFL transfer I would save about $100 ... worth it?

Rekrab
05-02-2011, 5:27 PM
Hmmm, My Savage 16 came with a Bushnell. Got mine through Davidson's.

Make sure you're factoring in the cost of accepting the rifle. That $100 may only be about $50 or less.

PistolGuy
05-02-2011, 5:53 PM
I'll check them out, thanks

And yeh I guess I would only be saving about 70 bucks...

osis32
05-02-2011, 7:39 PM
50 dollar transfer fee plus shipping you won't be saving all that much

sk8804
05-02-2011, 8:35 PM
I put a nikon buckmasters scope on my savage. It wont be that much cheaper onling than in a shop for the gun.

PistolGuy
05-02-2011, 9:30 PM
ok cool - thanks guys

I'm leaning more towards the shop now since I know what it will be coming with. I still wonder why online it says 3+1 vs the 5 round version I saw locally. Oh well. Local it is!

Rob454
05-03-2011, 4:17 AM
Also, by buying online and doing an FFL transfer I would save about $100 ... worth it?

Simmons are just cheap junk scopes they throw on a rifle and call it scoped. Since its a entry level the optics leave much to be desired. I would look and make sure that the 100$ savings wont be eaten up by transfer fees and tax on the internet purchase. I prefer to buy local.

NorCalK9.com
05-03-2011, 8:46 AM
the wcope that originally cmes with the savage aint that great. I have 308 savage got a bushnell elite 3200 and it shoots great just buy the rifle wihout the scope then get your own scope.

PistolGuy
05-03-2011, 9:47 AM
ok cool, I was guessing those simmons scopes were junk since I've really never heard of them. I've heard of the Bushnell of course and I got to look through it, looked pretty nice so yes, I may just stay local :)

and yes I may just buy the rifle and then scope separate ... how much would a good scope for it be? Would rather stay in the 100 range ... bushnell elite 3200 runs about 180 - 240 online, yeh?

Bhobbs
05-03-2011, 10:43 AM
ok cool, I was guessing those simmons scopes were junk since I've really never heard of them. I've heard of the Bushnell of course and I got to look through it, looked pretty nice so yes, I may just stay local :)

and yes I may just buy the rifle and then scope separate ... how much would a good scope for it be? Would rather stay in the 100 range ... bushnell elite 3200 runs about 180 - 240 online, yeh?

You should get the tactical version with the turrets. That what you can shoot different distances pretty quick or make adjustments much easier.

Rob454
05-03-2011, 8:32 PM
ok cool, I was guessing those simmons scopes were junk since I've really never heard of them.

Simmons is just a entry level type of scope manufacturer. They have some good models but usually the cheap ones you see for 30-50$ on the shelf are just ok. IMO you might as well be shooting open sights if you use a $30 scope.
I bought cheap scopes before for bare bones 22 rifles or something I wanted to see/try out if I liked shooting it with a scope before I spent the money to buy a good one. Other than that i woudl save the money and get a better scope. Makes no difference how good the rifle is if the scope is crap. I found out that the old saying good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good is fairly true for the most part.

PistolGuy
05-13-2011, 9:38 AM
true true - thanks fellas, gonna go buy mine today from a local dealer

WiKDMoNKY
05-14-2011, 7:17 AM
I bought that exact rifle at Turner's about 3 weeks ago, when it was on sale for $329 ($378 out the door). The scope worked fine for the first 5 or 6 shots and then the screws on the rings loosened up (or because the scope was hot form the sun) and it started shooting like crap. I plan on putting a better scope on it, but first I plan on taking it out to the BLM land behind Lake Perris today and sight it in (bringing ring allen wrench this time).

My buddy bought the 30-06 version and he hated the trigger. I found a website that showed what needed to be modified and where to get parts and I modified both of our triggers down to about 2.5/3lbs. Now he loves the trigger and glad he only had to spend $1 to make a great rifle and awesome rifle.

I say get it!!!

PistolGuy
05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
did you get the model with the simons or the bushnell?

WiKDMoNKY
05-14-2011, 8:54 PM
Bushnell. I got it all sighted in today and it seems to work pretty good. I wonder how much of a difference a better scope will work?

did you get the model with the simons or the bushnell?

PistolGuy
05-14-2011, 9:08 PM
nice, ok thanks!

turners has a Howa heavy barrel 20" tactical model ... may look at that one too but really digging the savage's

iatrogenic
05-15-2011, 3:36 PM
I plan on putting a better scope on it, but first I plan on taking it out to the BLM land behind Lake Perris today and sight it in (bringing ring allen wrench this time).

I thought the shooting area around Lake Perris was shotgun only. Is this not the case?

WiKDMoNKY
05-15-2011, 6:14 PM
I did not find the BLM you pointed out in the other thread. But I did find a private shooting range out there where I shot my pistol, AR, AK, .308 and shotgun.

I thought the shooting area around Lake Perris was shotgun only. Is this not the case?

iatrogenic
05-15-2011, 6:22 PM
I posted a picture of where it's at, although it was almost 11 when I did and saw that you said you were going to be out there by 10.

You shouldn't have any problems finding it with the picture I posted.