PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 or Long Range rifle?

L.A Charger
05-02-2011, 2:12 PM
Hey Calgunners just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and ask for your opinions. The name is Joe and I was born and raised here in Los Angeles. I recently found out about OLLs and started my research ending up here! I wanted to buy an OLL and build from there but I just found out I have to be 21 and I am only 19. I have also read a lot about Long Range shooting which is intriguing but have no experience with it (I have shot various firearms though) so I would like to hear what you guys think: either wait and go all out on an AR-15 (since I have heard it is very addictive!!) or try to go into long range shooting learning the basics and all. Would it be easy and worth it to go into long range shooting?

Thanks!

luckystrike
05-02-2011, 2:14 PM
go with both. maybe an A2 configuration or a bullbarrell upper receiver build.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=211

welcome to calguns

n0xname
05-02-2011, 2:24 PM
Agreed...get both...once u buy one u will want another

rubber duckie
05-02-2011, 2:45 PM
i bought the AR first.. and well its getting parted out soon. for some reason building a long range AR didn't do it for me. if you build an AR please take this into consideration, K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid). make it as light/short as you can go, you will enjoy shooting it standing then on a bipod. i invested about 1300 building my AR and well i could have built a super simple AR and buy a bolt gun for that price. BTW im replacing my AR with a AR pistol, and Howa varminter.

now if your dead set on building a long range AR feel free to PM me , i have parts you might like and barely used.

Droppin Deuces
05-02-2011, 2:53 PM
If I had it to do all over again, I would have started with a bolt action rifle. I love my AR's, but everytime I go to the 900 yard outdoor range here, I wish I had something that could get out there with some authority. The money I put into just one of my AR's could have scored me a very nice bolt gun.

Don29palms
05-02-2011, 3:01 PM
If you are going to shoot distance get a bolt action rifle. ARs are great and addicting but somewhat pointless past 500yds.

ElvenSoul
05-02-2011, 3:07 PM
Don't mess around get a M1A

rubber duckie
05-02-2011, 3:16 PM

sure this works too... BUT for me it was the feel of actually feeding each round. its like driving an auto vs manual.. sometimes its fun to work the action.

PistolGuy
05-02-2011, 3:16 PM
I started with my AR and now am looking for a longer range rifle.

I wanted to teach myself the fundamentals and get used to the 100 - 200 yard range before I tried to get out and touch any real distances. Now that I'm comfortable with my AR, I'm feeling the need to move on up to a .308 bolt action to get some distance.

The AR is incredibly addicting btw :) Also, with the AR, you can buy a .22 conversion or .22 upper and actually use it at some indoor ranges when the weather isn't cooperating.

I don't know if I did it 'backwards' or not but for me, it worked. Not wanting to learn about dialing in a scope at first, it was the way to go. I figured it would be a little frustrating to start with something with so many variables to take into consideration but thats just me.

jkcerda
05-02-2011, 3:23 PM
If you are going to shoot distance get a bolt action rifle. ARs are great and addicting but somewhat pointless past 500yds.

really?

ElvenSoul
05-02-2011, 3:27 PM
Well if you like manual work..there are 1000yd and 800yd Black Powder Shoots. :)

Sheepdog1968
05-02-2011, 3:30 PM
I'd go with a bolt action in 308 or 30-06. Ruger, Winchester, and Remmington make fine rifles that you will own and use for a lifetime.

Droppin Deuces
05-02-2011, 3:31 PM
I started with my AR and now am looking for a longer range rifle.

I wanted to teach myself the fundamentals and get used to the 100 - 200 yard range before I tried to get out and touch any real distances. Now that I'm comfortable with my AR, I'm feeling the need to move on up to a .308 bolt action to get some distance.

The AR is incredibly addicting btw :) Also, with the AR, you can buy a .22 conversion or .22 upper and actually use it at some indoor ranges when the weather isn't cooperating.

I don't know if I did it 'backwards' or not but for me, it worked. Not wanting to learn about dialing in a scope at first, it was the way to go. I figured it would be a little frustrating to start with something with so many variables to take into consideration but thats just me.

No offense, but if that's all you're doing with your AR, you still haven't gotten your money's worth. It's still got a lot of legs out past 200.:)

mlevans66
05-02-2011, 3:49 PM
I have both a bolt action .308 and AR. I say get both because they'll come in handy, killa. My two cents!

PistolGuy
05-02-2011, 3:55 PM
No offense, but if that's all you're doing with your AR, you still haven't gotten your money's worth. It's still got a lot of legs out past 200.:)

nah, none taken - I know it can do more but I can't [with the scope I have] haha ... so thats where I am for now with it

still contemplating the .308 purchase for myself

whichever way the OP goes though, I'm sure he will be happy - just thought I'd share what kinda worked for me :)

L.A Charger
05-02-2011, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!

Its very clear now that getting both would be the right way to go, you guys were very helpful.

Just one quick question, I have searched calguns for which bolt action rifle to buy and everyone says to get a Remington 700 but it seems everyone says to upgrade various parts.

Is there any other rifles that would be perfectly fine out of the box without much upgrading? Sorry if im am asking something that has been answered!

now if your dead set on building a long range AR feel free to PM me , i have parts you might like and barely used.

rubber duckie thanks for the offer but I think for long range I am going for a bolt action.

IPSICK
05-02-2011, 4:56 PM
I'd say both but .308 ammo costs suck.

As for the AR, I thought you could purchase a complete rifle even if you're under 21 just not a lower only.

I do have fun with my .308 bolt but ammo costs and recoil are not my favorite.

As some have commented, the AR is good to about 500-600 yards so you may want to clarify your standard for long range.

scamp62
05-02-2011, 5:29 PM
I have both a 308 heavy weight and AR heavy. The ARs problem is the .223 Rem cartridge. I built a 6.5 Grendel, and with 123gr bullets, at 1000 yards they are still supersonic ! Its a lot of fun at extended ranges, but make no mistake and consider it more accurate then a bolt gun. My AR, will hold 1/3 MOA 90% of the time, my bolt will go all day long.

Jonathan Doe
05-02-2011, 5:34 PM
AR's are capable of long range accuracy. Majority of shooters now shoot AR for NRA high power rifle matches, and they are beating M-1A's. The range is 200, 300 and 600 yards. 308 is easier to shoot at longer range and the ammo is easier to get. AR's usually needed to be reloaded for long range ammo, for bullets heavier than 77 grains or heavier.

And, it doesn't matter what type of guns you shoot at a long range. You need to know how to be able to deliver the bullet to the target at a given range. One thing you need to know is how to read the wind.

AeroEngi
05-02-2011, 6:04 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!

Its very clear now that getting both would be the right way to go, you guys were very helpful.

Just one quick question, I have searched calguns for which bolt action rifle to buy and everyone says to get a Remington 700 but it seems everyone says to upgrade various parts.

Is there any other rifles that would be perfectly fine out of the box without much upgrading? Sorry if im am asking something that has been answered!

rubber duckie thanks for the offer but I think for long range I am going for a bolt action.

It sounds like you want to just buy a complete rifle but if you want my advice, I'd buy a Remington 700 SPS Varmint or Tactical. After that, I'd get rid of the stock and buy a used Remington 700p stock or a nice McMillan stock.

If you just want a complete rifle, get a Remington 700p or a 700 Mil Spec 5R.

I hear Savage rifles are great too but I don't have any experience with them. You might also wanna check out Tikka rifles.

Wnick308
05-02-2011, 6:38 PM
I'm the same age as you and started with a Savage 10FP in .308(great rifle!) and just assembled an AR-15 from a striped lower that that my father bought me for my birthday. You won't be disappointed with a long range rifle and will have a lot of fun using it.

Don29palms
05-02-2011, 6:49 PM
really?

Yeah really!

jkcerda
05-02-2011, 6:55 PM
AR's are capable of long range accuracy. Majority of shooters now shoot AR for NRA high power rifle matches, and they are beating M-1A's. The range is 200, 300 and 600 yards. 308 is easier to shoot at longer range and the ammo is easier to get. AR's usually needed to be reloaded for long range ammo, for bullets heavier than 77 grains or heavier.

And, it doesn't matter what type of guns you shoot at a long range. You need to know how to be able to deliver the bullet to the target at a given range. One thing you need to know is how to read the wind.

Yeah really!

based on the post above,guessing 600 is the max range?

noob here:o

jkcerda
05-02-2011, 6:56 PM
I'd say both but .308 ammo costs suck.

As for the AR, I thought you could purchase a complete rifle even if you're under 21 just not a lower only.

I do have fun with my .308 bolt but ammo costs and recoil are not my favorite.

As some have commented, the AR is good to about 500-600 yards so you may want to clarify your standard for long range.

sold my HowaVarmint for the same reason, ammo prices just hit the walet really hard.

L.A Charger
05-02-2011, 7:11 PM
I'm the same age as you and started with a Savage 10FP in .308(great rifle!) and just assembled an AR-15 from a striped lower that that my father bought me for my birthday. You won't be disappointed with a long range rifle and will have a lot of fun using it.

Hey did you have to do any upgrades to the Savage to make it anymore accurate than it already was or is it completely stock? How far are you able to hit accurately with that rifle?

Thanks!

Lead Waster
05-02-2011, 9:29 PM
Why not pick up a Mosin Nagant or an Enfield? (AND an AR after)

WDE91
05-02-2011, 9:51 PM
Do you have a rimfire rifle?
Yes I understand aww boring till you start launching $1 bills down your barrel

Are you new to shooting?

I am also about your age

Wnick308
05-02-2011, 9:53 PM
No, the only two upgrades were a CDI Precision detachable bottom metal for a magazine and a Sharp Shooters trigger that were all done by me. The rifle will shoot under an MOA with good ammo (Hornady, Black Hills, Federal). I did the 600 yrd. shoot at Sac Valley with no problem hitting the black circles. Can’t wait to do the 800, 900, 1000 yrd shoot coming up.

PM for more questions or want to see pictures.;)

MacDime
05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
AR10 maybe

Inviscid07
05-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Start with the ar15 and save for the ar in .308!

Johnnykck
05-03-2011, 12:15 AM
get an M1A Loaded and you have both in one rifle, a semi auto battle rifle and a long range shooter that is accurate. Mine shoots 1 1/4 MOA with NATO surplus ammo and MOA with quality target ammo.

L.A Charger
05-03-2011, 8:11 AM
Do you have a rimfire rifle?
Yes I understand aww boring till you start launching $1 bills down your barrel

Are you new to shooting?

I am also about your age

Yes I have a ruger 10/22 in a tapco stock and actually I don't find it boring since I can do so much shooting with very little cost for .22lr! :)

I am not completely new to shooting just want to take it up as a serious hobby.

glockwise2000
05-03-2011, 8:18 AM
I would suggest to have both. Doesn't mean you have to buy both at the same time. I started with an AR for my rifle. Then I bought an Remmy 700P .300 win mag for my long range.

pennys dad
05-03-2011, 8:27 AM
I would suggest getting a AR10 with a 22in barrel. What distance are you looking to shoot? If 600 or under get a 20in barrel.

Lead Waster
05-03-2011, 8:56 AM

Translation: Don't mess around, buy a $1500 rifle

ZX-10R
05-03-2011, 9:00 AM
Bolt action and an AR for a semi auto.

Bigbird19
05-03-2011, 9:14 AM
It might help if you mentioned your budget

Wnick308
05-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I would get a semi-auto first. You have a lot of options in that type of rifle than you do with a bolt action.

chicoredneck
05-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Who says your ar can't be your long range rig too. You can simply start with a basic 223 upper and when you decide to go bigger and want to shoot long range, buy a new upper in 243 wssm, 300 ossm, or 6.5 grendel and your good to go! Or just start with one of these calibers off the bat.

L.A Charger
05-03-2011, 2:23 PM
It might help if you mentioned your budget

Have not really thought of a budget since I am still undecided, What would be a good price for a decent rifle either the AR or the Bolt Action?

Wnick308
05-03-2011, 3:16 PM
I would find what you want your rifle to do and then set a budget around that.
It will help you save money knowing exactly what to buy and save time.

Uriah02
05-03-2011, 3:35 PM
I love how everytime someone introduces themsevles about a bolt vs. AR type everyone immediately starts suggesting their wish list or a starter rifle.
To the OP what do you call long range? 500 yds< 1000 yds< more? I was under the impression an OLL is a long gun since it can't be bought as a AR pistol lower, thus shouldn't 18+ be old enough?

L.A Charger
05-03-2011, 4:23 PM
To the OP what do you call long range? 500 yds< 1000 yds< more? I was under the impression an OLL is a long gun since it can't be bought as a AR pistol lower, thus shouldn't 18+ be old enough?

Well I was thinking 600+ yards hoping to make those 1000 yard shots but after thinking about it to be more realistic I think 600 yards is more practical and many say an AR would be good enough for those purposes.

As for being 18 to buy an OLL, I was under the same impression, but all over Calguns it says 21 for only a lower.

Bigbird19
05-03-2011, 4:24 PM
No he can only buy a complete gun, ran into the same problem my self (im under 21)

I guess to start your process you should

1. Figure out what you expect from your rifle
-Super accuracy, SHTF, competition
2. Settle a budget
3. Then look for products

L.A Charger
05-04-2011, 8:33 AM
1. Figure out what you expect from your rifle
-Super accuracy, SHTF, competition
2. Settle a budget
3. Then look for products

What I am looking for is decent accuracy, enough that if I wanted to enter a competition I would be able to hang in there but of course not with the best rifle there. Just capable of competition.

As for budget would lets say 1000 for each be a good budget, definately not at the same time but of course if I can save money on one to spend on the other as needed I would or just save money in general even better!