PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Mags Loaded: What does downloaded mean?

Yeemix
11-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey everyone, I've been reading some old topics about storing mags loaded, and it's affect on the springs and whatnot. My question is, I noticed some people saying they keep thier mags "downloaded," so does this simply mean they don't fully load the mags, and leave one or two rounds out?

Josh
11-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Exactly, mags not loaded to full capacity.

And it dosent matter, time isnt a factor in how quickly springs wear out.They fatigue from use.

The only reason to download a mag is to make it easier to insert.

CalNRA
11-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I load my 1911 mags to the speced capacity because they are good mags.

I download my 3032 magazine and the magazine on my rimfire pistols/rifles due to superstition.

Santa Cruz Armory
11-25-2006, 11:41 PM
I load my 10 round 7.62x39 AR mags to 5 rounds. Any more than say 7 or 8 and I start getting FTFs, FTEs.

juan grande
11-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Play it safe

bwiese
11-28-2006, 3:38 PM
I never had a problem with either Glock or Wilson mags. I will say don't keep you loaded mags in your weapon while stored. You will forget at some point which one may be hot!!!

Absolutely irrelevant. You're trying to depend on your memory of which gun is loaded, whick might fail.

All guns should always be treated as loaded. If you need to work with a gun you should be carefully checking its loaded status immediately before working with/on it.

rkt88edmo
11-28-2006, 3:41 PM
Pressure on feed lips can also be an issue.

Please don't rely on "I keep all my mags empty" to determine if a gun is hot or not.

VeryCoolCat
11-28-2006, 3:44 PM
I agree with Bwiese on that... you never have to worry about a gun being "loaded" or have to ask "if the gun is loaded" if you always check when someone hands you a gun.

Personally... I never give someone a weapon with the action closed.

People download mags because they are either CHEAP and won't properly when fully loaded then fail to feed... or they don't want to wear down the springs from continued usage.

There are several debates about what is the appropriate way to keep a magazine loaded/downloaded. Some say loaded -2 rounds (for standard carry) to prevent the spring from getting permanently stressed down and some say 1/2 loaded.

I noticed from different people that CHEAP AR mags you never load to full capacity because they tend to have problems feeding.

M. Sage
11-28-2006, 7:22 PM
Absolutely irrelevant. You're trying to depend on your memory of which gun is loaded, whick might fail.

All guns should always be treated as loaded. If you need to work with a gun you should be carefully checking its loaded status immediately before working with/on it.

Whew. I check mine even when I know they're loaded... Just good to know. :P