PDA

View Full Version : NorCal reloading help??

wayoutwest
11-25-2006, 9:48 PM
So is anybody in my area reloading regularly, I would like to see it done a couple times start to finish to get an idea of whats involved before I decide if its something I want to start.

My 10 days is up on a Remy 700pss .308 soon and I already have a 30.06 and .223 which I may want to handload for also.

I will happly pick up pizza and drinks if anyone would walk me though it.

thanks

Chris

**EDIT**

after watching some of the videos online at Lee and RCBS it doesnt look very difficult, I may just jump right in after deciding on single stage press, or turret style.

stator
11-26-2006, 10:26 AM
So is anybody in my area reloading regularly, I would like to see it done a couple times start to finish to get an idea of whats involved before I decide if its something I want to start.

My 10 days is up on a Remy 700pss .308 soon and I already have a 30.06 and .223 which I may want to handload for also.

I will happly pick up pizza and drinks if anyone would walk me though it.

thanks

Chris

**EDIT**

after watching some of the videos online at Lee and RCBS it doesnt look very difficult, I may just jump right in after deciding on single stage press, or turret style.

It is not hard at all. I started on my own with just the RCBS single stage kit and a RCBS book. I was reload 9mm back then, first. I suspect that rifle cartridges will be a little more difficult.

What reloading requires in spades is two things: consistent process and concentration to avoid problems and kabooms down the road.

thmpr
11-26-2006, 11:04 AM
If your in the San Jose are, give me a call. I use a Dillon 650 to reload .223, 6.8, 6.5 and .308.

Blue
11-26-2006, 1:39 PM
I'd go with the turret. It's the same as a single stage but you can leave your dies locked into the turret head and not have to unscrew/readjust every time you're ready for the next step. Get a decent set of calipers too to make sure your overall length is good.

C.G.
11-26-2006, 3:15 PM
It is not hard at all. I started on my own with just the RCBS single stage kit and a RCBS book. I was reload 9mm back then, first. I suspect that rifle cartridges will be a little more difficult.

What reloading requires in spades is two things: consistent process and concentration to avoid problems and kabooms down the road.

+1. I just started about a month ago with a Rockchucker Supreme kit, which I got for $220 here (best price I could find):
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357
The only thing you will need to add is a set of calipers and eventually a case trimmer.
Initially I wanted to have someone watch over my shoulder, but then like you, I thought it shouldn't be a major big deal and started loading .50 Beowulf and 6.5 Grendel rifle rounds, and will load .308, 5.56, 9mm and .357 Sig. The first twenty took forever because I measured everything three times, but once I got comfortable I got faster. Just make sure that you get a good reloading manual. The Supreme kit comes with the Speer manual, which is OK but I found the Lyman to be better. Don't forget to buy shellholders.
I suggest starting out with a single stage because it is more difficult to make a mistake. One advantage of the Rockchucker is that at a later time you can convert it to a proggressive press, which I may do sometime in future:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004487811

If you are careful, measure for too long or too short of a case (after resizing, too) and start at the low end of loads, you will do fine.

wayoutwest
11-28-2006, 8:33 PM
+1. I just started about a month ago with a Rockchucker Supreme kit, which I got for $220 here (best price I could find):
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357
The only thing you will need to add is a set of calipers and eventually a case trimmer.
Initially I wanted to have someone watch over my shoulder, but then like you, I thought it shouldn't be a major big deal and started loading .50 Beowulf and 6.5 Grendel rifle rounds, and will load .308, 5.56, 9mm and .357 Sig. The first twenty took forever because I measured everything three times, but once I got comfortable I got faster. Just make sure that you get a good reloading manual. The Supreme kit comes with the Speer manual, which is OK but I found the Lyman to be better. Don't forget to buy shellholders.
I suggest starting out with a single stage because it is more difficult to make a mistake. One advantage of the Rockchucker is that at a later time you can convert it to a proggressive press, which I may do sometime in future:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004487811

If you are careful, measure for too long or too short of a case (after resizing, too) and start at the low end of loads, you will do fine.

C.G. thanks for the link, that press is about $110 less than my local Guns, Fishing and Other stuff. Stopped in there yesterday and picked up the Sierra 5th edition reloading data book, a good read so far. Also started pricing out powders, primers and bullets.

I am thinking about the Lee 4 hole turret (least money) or the RCBS kit (upgradeable) then dies for .308, .223, and maybe .45, 9mm.

thmpr
11-28-2006, 9:00 PM
The main items to get are the following:

1) A good set of dies: For semi-auto, recommend to use a FL die.
2) A tumbler and media
3) Digital caliper
4) Digital Scale
5) Case Gauge (Verify headspace) or a Go/No-Go
6) Case lubes/pad/block
7) Eventually you will need a trimmer (Giraud trimmer cant be beat!!!)
8) For military brass, you will need a de-crimper. (Dillon Swag)
9) Primer: Small and large
10) Powder
11) A guide/load data
12) The main thing to remember.....Safety!!!

Make sure you understand the complete reloading process: This is the list Of what I typically perform on my progressive loader(XL650)

1) Clean cases
2) Separate media from the cases: Media separator
3) Place the cases in a loading block
4) Spray lube: RCBS One shot spray lube
5) Let it sit for a minute
6) Resize
7) Clean for 15 minutes: Remove the lube from the cases
8) Separate media from the cases: Media separator
9) Trim
10) Clean primer pocket/flash hole
11) Prime
12) Charge
13) Seal Bullet
14) Crimp: If you wish.

I usually stick to one caliber when reloading. Finally completed 2000 77 grains Nosler .224 ammo. :D

ivanimal
11-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Sorry I did not see this earlier. I work inVville and live in Pleasant Hill, PM me and we can get you started.