PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9 accuracy and other questions.

The_Tinman
05-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I bought my LC9 from Turner's in mid-March and dros'ed this month, they claim it's one of the first 200 into CA. When it came home I did a full inspection, cleaning and relubrication. Ruger builds these things "wet." In 300 rounds of 115gr WWB I have yet to experience a hiccup. The only concern I have is the accuracy that my uncle and I have had is about 8" below Point of Aim and that's about 3 to 4 yards away. I haven't seen anything else posted about this yet and so far other than the trigger pull and the accuracy being low this has been just as reliable as any other Ruger I have shot.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Could this be an ammo issue?

Also, what SD ammo is optimal for the 3.12" barrel? Right now I have Winchester SXZ 115gr JHP loaded in my mags.

My final (for now) inquiry is regarding a rumor I heard about Keltec magazines being usable in the Lc9 but not vice versa. Has anyone seen this first hand? I understand the Ruger is assumed to be based on the Keltec to the point my LC9 fits perfectly in a Fobus KTP-11(that I got a deal on because it was for a "POS Keltec" his words not mine).

Thanks ahead,

Tinman

mif_slim
05-02-2011, 3:32 PM
I think your just not use to the trigger. My friend who shot glock all his LE career couldn't shoot a double action pistol worth crap. At 5 yards he was hitting the ground. I told him to aim for the birds and he might hit the COM.

Dry fire the gun to get use to it and try again. If it's shooting that low I think your not use to it and squeezing it too hard.. Not doubing your shooting ability, but just throwing options out there.

Good luck and keep us posted because I want one too.

The_Tinman
05-02-2011, 5:00 PM
I am definitely not ruling out user error, that said I have been practicing DAO since I bought my P-944 in December and this trigger is way different than that. At 3-4 yards I was able to maintain what I feel was a decent grouping, just a few inches lower than where I wanted the bullets to go. Here is a photo of the last 3 mags I ran through the gun Saturday. i was aiming at the lower jaw/upper neck.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af267/Br1phone/th_8e39d829.jpg (http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums/af267/Br1phone/?action=view&current=8e39d829.jpg)

I won't be able to go shooting for a week or three. Until then I will practice dry firing.

Vander
05-02-2011, 5:14 PM
I've experienced the same issue with my LC9...damn, I hate the trigger!

I've noticed that if I slow my trigger pull way down, I can keep the shot at about 4-6 inches below point of aim @ 7 yards. So with that and raising POA, I'm now pretty happy with it. I do believe its that we are pulling the front of the firearm down while pulling the trigger. I don't like the trigger one bit. I'm feeling actually like I'm getting trigger slap, I know that my finger hurts after I'm done shooting just 50 rounds. LOL

The_Tinman
05-02-2011, 6:12 PM
Looks like I just have to keep practicing. It is relieving that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Perhaps the sights integrated into the slide on the LCP that everyone has complained about are better. Hopefully someone will come out with a lower profile night sight.

chim-chim7
05-02-2011, 6:43 PM
8" at 3-4 yards! What! Can't be your anticipating recoil and allowing your wrist to break down. Have some one sneak in a snap cap in your sled. I bet you will see a dramatic flinch.

RangerJoe
05-02-2011, 7:30 PM
Check to see if your LC9 has a "pin" in the front sight. Some of the first LC9's had two issues. 1) The front sight was falling out/off, and 2) Shooting low because of a wrong size rear sight height.

If your front sight is NOT pinned, needs to be sent back to Ruger to update the problems. If it IS pinned, your gun has been updated and might be they way you are shooting it.

zdragon
05-02-2011, 9:43 PM
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9549/p1060391.jpg
By zdagon52 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/zdagon52) at 2011-05-02

Vander
05-02-2011, 9:48 PM
Nice!

pontiacpratt
05-02-2011, 9:50 PM
Just out of curiosity why is a made the USA gun like the LC9 have a made in Italy magazine?:D

zdragon
05-02-2011, 9:54 PM
Just out of curiosity why is a made the USA gun like the LC9 have a made in Italy magazine?:D

Italian made magazines such as Megar are proven reliable...i don't blame Ruger outsourcing their mags at all.;)

pontiacpratt
05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Italian made magazines such as Megar are proven reliable...i don't blame Ruger outsourcing their mags at all.;)

I figured they were Mec-Gar. lol

The_Tinman
05-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Ruger is open about their choice to sub out some mags to Mecgar and I support the choice, my 5 Italian mags feed great!

Update: I called Ruger CS, who after asking a series of questions ending with number of rounds and number of brands tried, sent me a shipping label. She seemed to be aware of the rear sight height issue, but was surprised that my serial number was still affected. They received my gun last Monday 9:30 am local time.

Does anyone have experience with the return time Ruger averages? I'm somewhat surprised by how much I miss the LC9. It had become my around the house carry weapon. Now my P944 seems uncomfortably heavy. Although it's still my fishing gun.

The_Tinman
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM

That's a managable group for my LC9, but I'd have to aim well above the lettering lol.

Vander
05-16-2011, 10:52 PM
I'll be interested in how it shoots when you get it back. If you notice a big difference, then I will send mine in as well, as it also shoots low as per my earlier posts.

The_Tinman
05-29-2011, 1:02 PM
I'll be interested in how it shoots when you get it back. If you notice a big difference, then I will send mine in as well, as it also shoots low as per my earlier posts.

My LC9 came home and I finally got a chance to run some ammo through her... The slip that came home said they inspected and "targeted" with 28 rounds, gave me a target with a very respectable grouping. When I tried it again I adjusted my aim and I'm hitting alot closer to POA. I'm also trying not to anticipate the shot breaking.

Look at your front sight, if it's pinned, it's the current correct sight.

I'm also planning on trying different weight bullets, so far I've only shot 115gr from Federal, Winchester and Remington. I wanna see what the 147gr bullets do.

USMC 82-86
05-29-2011, 5:24 PM
Sorry you are having that experience. I don't own a LC9 but I had a chance to shoot one at the range, and at 10 yards I had a group about 3.5" with one magazine. That was the first time shooting the pistol. I was very impressed with the pistol. I almost bought one about a month ago.

joefrank64k
05-29-2011, 6:08 PM
Also, what SD ammo is optimal for the 3.12" barrel? Right now I have Winchester SXZ 115gr JHP loaded in my mags.

Lots of good things being said about Hornady Critical Defense:

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense/

It was REALLY hard to find for a while, but it's becoming more available. Midway even has it on-sale right now:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=388966

It's out-of-stock :D but at least they're allowing backorders!

It's in-stock at Target Sports USA and if you buy a case, free shipping:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-950-hornady-critical-defense-9mm-luger-115-grain-ftx-ammunition.aspx

This is the stuff I load in my LCP, Glock 23, and Kimber U-CDPII for CCW.

Unkl Bang
07-14-2011, 12:10 AM
It's the hella long trigger pull that gets to me . I found that if I use a more deliberate steady trigger pull I got better results. I guess pratice is in order. Hopefully someone will make some good adjustable sights in the future. It's not a target pistol, that's for sure . So tinman let's get to shooting soon , then you can see my latest toy.

NoJoke
07-14-2011, 6:42 AM
Mine is low...quite low.
Both I and the range master were shooting it low.
Ruger said I can send it in....I'll try to get it in soon.

The_Tinman
08-03-2011, 8:57 PM
Mine is low...quite low.
Both I and the range master were shooting it low.
Ruger said I can send it in....I'll try to get it in soon.

Before you send it in, try heavier bullets I tried 124's this weekend and shot considerably better. I shot 115's and 124's consecutively and found I was staying on target better with the 124's. The trigger definitely takes some getting used to. I also added a rubber grip. Makes a bit of a difference managing recoil. Try a few more rounds through it. Ruger wouldn't take mine until I tried 3-4 brands of ammo.

I can't wait for Wolff to come out with a reduced weight trigger spring.

Unkl Bang, let's go this weekend or next. You know my schedule. I'd kinda like to visit the three sisters soon. Hopefully I'll have my dueling tree by then!

Blade
08-03-2011, 10:13 PM
I have an LC9, like lots of owners the trigger pull is looong. I was almost shooting the ground anticipating the trigger break on the first few shots. After several mags I got used to the long trigger pull and got some great groups...at least for me. I got some great tips here on the Calguns, one is to "stage" the trigger pull halfway, aim, then pull the rest of the way bang. This helped tighten up my groups significantly. Give it a try.

Dan-O
08-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I think your just not use to the trigger. My friend who shot glock all his LE career couldn't shoot a double action pistol worth crap. At 5 yards he was hitting the ground. I told him to aim for the birds and he might hit the COM.

Dry fire the gun to get use to it and try again. If it's shooting that low I think your not use to it and squeezing it too hard.. Not doubing your shooting ability, but just throwing options out there.

Good luck and keep us posted because I want one too.

+1
When I got mine I was shooting low too but it didnt take too long to get used to the trigger. Just try dry firing while looking down the sights then take it to the range and try again

Hoot951
08-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Damn I guess i should have kept mine cause I was shooting 2 1/2 inch groups at 7 yards and that is good for me. I was talking to my cuzin today and we both agreed it has been the most accurate small pistol for us.

Shrubmaster
08-03-2011, 11:07 PM
No one makes a trigger kit?

Stkx66
08-04-2011, 8:36 PM
I took my Ruger LC9 to the range today for the first time and for the first time ever I actually missed the full size target twice at 15 yards. Un friggin believable. I am used to my 1911's, Hk's yada yada 3.5 to 4.4 trigger pulls... this LC9 is in a different zone for me. The long trigger pull I'm sure is for a purpose. This pistol is just far different for trigger pull that I am used to. I did better as the time went on. It didn't malfunction and was a 100% with target ammo.

Dakitez
08-26-2011, 10:59 PM
I took my lc9 to the range today also. I had the same experience first few shot missed the whole target. I put 250 rounds through it to break it in and still did not get it dialed in. Seems to be 6"-8" low and to the left. I used 5 different brands of ammo. All fed and fired flawless except 3 rounds were fail to feed. All 3 were UMC so I blame the ammo not the pistol. I had never seen this before ... as I extracted the round that failed to feed the bullet was loose in the casing. You could actually wiggle it around.
I did clean the pistol before I went to the range. So I will give it another good cleaning and try again. This time I will use a rest to help take out some of my error. If it is me that is the problem I am ok with that and practice should fix that, but I have been reading too many posts about un-consistent groupings. I hope the next trip will be better as I like the pistol, but if I can't hit the target it does me no good.

brianinca
08-27-2011, 6:19 AM
Just noticing that zdagon does not have the magazine extension on the pictured mag. I found the extension interfered with my grip and I do not use it on any of my magazines (which are of VERY good quality). I'm used to a two finger grip from my 380 and 357 SIG.

If your hand will fit the pinky on that extension, I can sure see how the contortions needed to get that grip would result in scooping. The looong trigger pull FOR ME works best with a pull-through, when I tried to stage it like a J-Frame the first 100 rds, I just widened my groups into a pattern.

I'm very impressed by the sights, maybe not as good as the SR9C, but really outstanding for a pocket pistol.

>>>
It didn't malfunction and was a 100% with target ammo.
>>>

Yep, same here. Did get some pitting in the primers of Remington FMJ, that's what I get for buying Remington. Winchester and Federal bulk were no problem, nor were JHP's (see below).

>>>
Lots of good things being said about Hornady Critical Defense:
>>>

I like this very much, 15+ years ago I carried Hornady's XTP line in my 45's and 380. Switched to GDHP for LESS penetration, but I handload with XTP's for accuracy and for carrying up at the ranch (4 legged critters). I picked up some 9mm and 38 SPL from Cope's when they had it in stock, real good stuff.

If you handload, the 115 gr XTP .355 bullet is IDENTICAL in exterior profile to the FTX version, sans the plastic plug. Not sure about the internals, but I prefer to validate with carry(ish) ammo and that's a lot cheaper than buying boxes of 25. Fortunately when I got my 357 SIG, you could buy the identical GDHP bullets to reload with because the Speer ammo is spendy.

I find the LC9 to be an excellent pocket pistol, at some point my wife may have to have one to replace her Model 60. We'll see.

Regards,
Brian in CA

kpinole
08-27-2011, 8:53 PM
Shooting about a foot low at 7 yards....time to practice I guess

appagohm
08-27-2011, 9:03 PM
I got this pistol a couple months back, when i first got it i couldn't hit anything, and hated the trigger. Well after a few months of pratice minimum of 150 rounds a week, i can get 2 inch groups from 7 yards. The hardest part is to keep you trigger finger smooth and steady.

NoJoke
08-27-2011, 9:19 PM
My LC9 came home and I finally got a chance to run some ammo through her... The slip that came home said they inspected and "targeted" with 28 rounds, gave me a target with a very respectable grouping. .

Got the same thing back.
A target w/ "offhand" hand written on it w/ a very nice group.

Not sure if anything was done to it or my nose was being rubbed in it.....:rolleyes::D

Dakitez
08-30-2011, 4:29 PM
Good news .... I went back out today and tried again ... the pistol shoots well. the problems i had before were the shooter. I had to go slow and concentrate hard and I could get a decent grouping. If I tried to speed up I was all over the place. This pistol just needs practice to get use to it.

I will be keeping my eye open for trigger mods in the future.

NoJoke
09-26-2011, 8:53 PM
Boy its been a long time since I've been to the range....went today finally!

Good news is the LC9 seems to be hitting the mark. I'm still unclear if Ruger did anything to my gun or not....but either I'm a bit more compatible w/ the trigger or they adjusted it. Its hitting just fine now! :36:

vtshooter
09-29-2011, 3:52 AM
I too just bought a Ruger LC9 and the thing shoots very low! About 4" at 3 yards and 12" at 15 yards. I have been using 115gr Rem UMC FMJ ammo for plinking, and 124gr Fed Hydra-shoks for carry. The Federals shoot at least 2"-3" lower than the UMC's. Although I am no expert marksman, I have been shooting for the last 20 years, and handguns for the last 10. I am sure the loooong trigger pull on this gun affects accuracy, but I do not believe the trigger pull alone can cause this dramatic of a bullet drop. Does anyone know what serial number sequence is affected by the "bad" sights? I bought this gun used, so I do not know when it was manufactured.

NoJoke
09-29-2011, 6:39 AM
I too just bought a Ruger LC9 and the thing shoots very low! About 4" at 3 yards and 12" at 15 yards. I have been using 115gr Rem UMC FMJ ammo for plinking, and 124gr Fed Hydra-shoks for carry. The Federals shoot at least 2"-3" lower than the UMC's. Although I am no expert marksman, I have been shooting for the last 20 years, and handguns for the last 10. I am sure the loooong trigger pull on this gun affects accuracy, but I do not believe the trigger pull alone can cause this dramatic of a bullet drop. Does anyone know what serial number sequence is affected by the "bad" sights? I bought this gun used, so I do not know when it was manufactured.

Send it in, I'm glad I did.
My story is like yours except that you have way more experience than I, and I bought mine new.

bombadillo
09-29-2011, 7:15 AM
A couple types of ammo I would look at are

Federal HST Great ammo, unbelievable expansion, and seems to feed really well in all my guns chambered in 9mm. VERY expensive to shoot. I like to shoot 2 boxes or 100 rounds through any gun that will be a defense gun so its not cheap to practice with.
http://www.tds-us.com/viewitem.php/tds/pd991149/FEDERAL_PREMIUM_TACTICAL_HST_124grn_9mm_P_P9HST3_5 0_ROUNDS
http://www.prestoimages.net/store/graphics02/1926_pd991149_1.jpg
http://www.prestoimages.com/store/rd1926/1926_pd991149_2.jpg

Winchester Ranger T: Also another great round, great expansion, and feeds well in 1911's due to the design of the bullet itself. Its the same thing without the moly coating as the black talons were. "SXT = Same Exact Thing" According to many
http://www.tds-us.com/viewitem.php/tds/pd991149/FEDERAL_PREMIUM_TACTICAL_HST_124grn_9mm_P_P9HST3_5 0_ROUNDS

http://www.prestoimages.net/store/rd1926/1926_pd2098607_1.jpg
http://www.prestoimages.net/store/rd1926/1926_pd2098607_2.jpg

These are about the only rounds I run in my defense guns and I think the ruger will probably like the Ranger T a bit better because of the bullet shape and its rounded more where it could hang up on the feed ramp. HST has hung up on my 1911's but only one of them. The rest feed HST fine. I'm going to be doing the same thing as I get my LC9 out of jail on the 4th so I'll be shooting both of these and can give you some results soon enough.

Also one of the good things on the SXT ammo is that its 147 grain so a bit more punch with that size and +P.