PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Catch question...

Baga
05-02-2011, 12:30 PM
This is a noob question but I rather ask than not know at all...
Does the bolt catch only work with the magazine in?
To be more detailed I do know, unlocking and pulling the charging handle all the way out and pressing on the lower portion of the bolt catch Release would lock the bolt in the open position. But does this only work with the magazine in? :confused:
Forgot to add...referring to a AR Stag Model 2 rifle (.223)

paul0660
05-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Usually. It would be good to know to which gun you refer.

Baga
05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Usually. It would be good to know to which gun you refer.

You are right, it would help to know, a noob mistake...Referring to a AR Stag Model 2 rifle (.223)

paul0660
05-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't know for sure about that model, but usually the mag being inserted causes a bolt stop to engage. This is what "holds the slide back" on most pistols when the mag is empty, showing it is time to reload. Most rifles I have shot are the same, with a different mechanism.

dieselpower
05-02-2011, 1:04 PM
all AR15 bolt catches need an empty magazine to push up on the bolt catch. the upward pressure locks the bolt back.

when a round is in the magazine the follower isnt there to push up on the bolt catch.

open your rifle up and watch what happens when you install an empty magazine and what doesnt happen with ammo in the magazine.

Flintlock Tom
05-02-2011, 1:29 PM
This is a noob question but I rather ask than not know at all...
Does the bolt catch only work with the magazine in?
To be more detailed I do know, unlocking and pulling the charging handle all the way out and pressing on the lower portion of the bolt catch Release would lock the bolt in the open position. But does this only work with the magazine in? :confused:
Forgot to add...referring to a AR Stag Model 2 rifle (.223)

No, you can also lock the bolt back without a mag in the well by pressing in on the lower part of the bolt catch. You may also release the bolt in the usual way (via the bolt catch) even with no mag in the well.

Baga
05-02-2011, 2:28 PM
No, you can also lock the bolt back without a mag in the well by pressing in on the lower part of the bolt catch. You may also release the bolt in the usual way (via the bolt catch) even with no mag in the well.

Thanks Flintlock Tom for the reply...That's what I was thinking is supposed to happen. Would you know why I am unable to lock the bolt back on my rifle with no magazine in the magwell?

tacticalcity
05-02-2011, 2:33 PM
No, a magazine is NOT required for it to function and lock the bolt to the rear or release it forward.

If you push on it in the opposite direction than you would to release the bolt (down on the bottom instead of the top) then it will lock the bolt to the rear. At which point if you pushed on it from the top it would then release the bolt.

This becomes much easier and much more obvious with the Magpul BAD device (or something similiar from another brand) installed because it is much easier to do.

CHS
05-02-2011, 3:11 PM
Thanks Flintlock Tom for the reply...That's what I was thinking is supposed to happen. Would you know why I am unable to lock the bolt back on my rifle with no magazine in the magwell?

Are you pushing IN on the BOTTOM of the bolt stop while the charging handle is ALL THE WAY to the rear?

If you're doing all of the above exactly as how I've described, and the catch does not stop the bolt on release of the charging handle, then something is wrong. The upper or lower could be slightly out of spec, so that the bolt is riding above the catch (not common at all, but I've seen it once), or the catch could be defective. The bolt catches are made from either an MIM process or lost-wax casting (depending on the manufacturer) and could possibly be missing some metal from an air bubble or defect in that process.

wash
05-02-2011, 3:15 PM
Does it work with an empty magazine in?

One of my lowers had the bolt catch plunger hole drilled slightly under size and that made it drag. Perhaps you have a similar problem?

Baga
05-02-2011, 3:54 PM
Are you pushing IN on the BOTTOM of the bolt stop while the charging handle is ALL THE WAY to the rear?

If you're doing all of the above exactly as how I've described, and the catch does not stop the bolt on release of the charging handle, then something is wrong. The upper or lower could be slightly out of spec, so that the bolt is riding above the catch (not common at all, but I've seen it once), or the catch could be defective. The bolt catches are made from either an MIM process or lost-wax casting (depending on the manufacturer) and could possibly be missing some metal from an air bubble or defect in that process.

Yes, I am pushing IN on the BOTTOM of the bolt stop while the charging handle is ALL THE WAY to the rear. I'll have to check if there is an issue with my bolt catch. Thanks for the response

Baga
05-02-2011, 3:57 PM
Does it work with an empty magazine in?

One of my lowers had the bolt catch plunger hole drilled slightly under size and that made it drag. Perhaps you have a similar problem?

Yes, it does work with an empty magazine in. I'll have to check on this problem deeper if it is a problem. Thanks for the response..

wash
05-02-2011, 4:34 PM
Since it works with an empty mag, put in an empty mag, pull back the charging handle and look through the ejection port to see where the bolt catch is holding the bolt.

If everything looks good, remember the position, remove the magazine and bolt, then look through the ejection port while you depress the bottom of the bolt catch and see if it's close to where it would catch the bolt.

You can try it with the bolt carrier assembly but without the buffer and spring and use gravity to move the bolt carrier assembly toward the catch.

You might not be pressing in enough or the catch might have an oversized roll pin hole so that it does not push up enough to catch (this would allow a lot of play when the upper is off the rifle).

Good luck finding the problem.

Baga
05-02-2011, 11:20 PM
I finally got home to check out my rifle for this Bolt Catch issue i was having. I apologize for this false issue I was having. A NOOB mistake. I just tried it again and it works :o. All I had to do was take the rifle back out and play around with it. I was so worried it didn't work and I wasn't home to test it out again, that I posted this question too quick. I thank everyone for all the useful information. I'm happy there is no issue :D