PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Spike's Tactical?

SoCalG
05-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Their website shows 6-8 weeks for an upper or lower assembly. The wait time has been this long for at least 4+ months. Why don't they step up production so you don't have to wait so long to get their product? I'm guessing they are losing alot of sales because of this. I really like their uppers/lowers but am forced to buy another product because of the wait time.

Anyone purchase one of their products and the wait time was significantly less time?

rattlesnake_nm
05-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Their website shows 6-8 weeks for an upper or lower assembly. The wait time has been this long for at least 4+ months. Why don't they step up production so you don't have to wait so long to get their product? I'm guessing they are losing alot of sales because of this. I really like their uppers/lowers but am forced to buy another product because of the wait time.

Anyone purchase one of their products and the wait time was significantly less time?

Yes from Aim. Aim will pop it out in a few days. I got an email from Cat at Spike's today. They are up, and running. I think they did an upgrade to their tools, and that is why production was down for a while. I am not sure so don't quote me. I think demand for their product was very high, and they couldn't keep up without an upgrade.

Zzzake
05-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Im going to guess everyone is the same. i ordered a zombie lower through riflegear around xmas last year, it just came in last week. Also ordered a bcg from them around the same time, still no signs of it.

SoCalG
05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Yes from Aim. Aim will pop it out in a few days. I got an email from Cat at Spike's today. They are up, and running. I think they did an upgrade to their tools, and that is why production was down for a while. I am not sure so don't quote me. I think demand for their product was very high, and they couldn't keep up without an upgrade.

Thanks for the reply- I already called AIM - they have the uppers with only the Magpul hand guard which i don't like.

rattlesnake_nm
05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the reply- I already called AIM - they have the uppers with only the Magpul hand guard which i don't like.

Ah... Sell the moe, and use whatever You like??? I am getting moes today with my 10.5 upper. I don't mind them, but aim wouldn't change the color for me.

hammerhands32
05-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I just started my ten day for three Spikes lowers from Golden State Tactical. I didn't realize there was a wait for spikes.

Nate87
05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I was in the same boat. Wanted to get a Spikes lower but didnt feel like waiting that long. While at the Ventura Gun Show this weekend i just decided to go with a JD lower, started the paperwork, then what do you know?! My licence had expired! :kest:

donw
05-02-2011, 1:06 PM
i had a 5 week wait for my Spikes ST-22 and got the 5.56 uppers right at the time they had advertised for the uppers.

i spoke to them on the fone on more than one occasion and they seem to have been very busy.

rareair
05-02-2011, 2:02 PM
I was in the same boat. Wanted to get a Spikes lower but didnt feel like waiting that long. While at the Ventura Gun Show this weekend i just decided to go with a JD lower

So you decided to upgrade from a Spike :D Nice!

luckystrike
05-02-2011, 2:17 PM
F AIM surplus. try rifle gear?

Hozr
05-02-2011, 2:21 PM
I've been to spikes. Everything is top notch and hand made by professionals. They are great people selling great products. They are behind not because they are slow but because they are slammed! Spikes is a great company that whole heartedly supports The PRK and our fight. If you don't want to wait go buy something else.

SoCalG
05-02-2011, 3:02 PM
I've been to spikes. Everything is top notch and hand made by professionals. They are great people selling great products. They are behind not because they are slow but because they are slammed! Spikes is a great company that whole heartedly supports The PRK and our fight. If you don't want to wait go buy something else.

I wonder if Spike's makes their own products. I called them today and they said they were so far behind because they are waiting on parts from their suppliers. I'm assuming they engrave their logos on products.

I really like their products, however- I seriously question doing business with a company that doesn't "step up to the plate" and ramp up production to satisfy consumer demand. This has been going on with Spike's for 4- months. I know 3 other guys building AR's right now that are passing Spike's up to go with a company that can meet customer demands with a reasonable time frame.

I wonder if they are so far behind and you need to send back a part that needs to be returned/replaced if you'd have to wait 6-8 weeks to get your parts? That would be hard to swallow after you already paid them for the product!

2fast4u
05-02-2011, 3:37 PM
Spikes or Mega? I was thinking of doing a Spikes Bio Billet build but with all this talk
of long waits I don't know :-)

hnoppenberger
05-02-2011, 3:38 PM
doubling a business to meet production like that is a good way to go out of business. the demand will slow down, and they will catch up.

oh, and depends on what you mean by "make"

do they make their rifles? yes, they assemble them, thats making.

do they make their forgings? no
do they cnc their forgings? no
do they stamp their logo? good question, i bet no to that too.
i would bet their components are from CMT.

FourLoko
05-02-2011, 3:42 PM
I wonder if Spike's makes their own products. I called them today and they said they were so far behind because they are waiting on parts from their suppliers. I'm assuming they engrave their logos on products.

I really like their products, however- I seriously question doing business with a company that doesn't "step up to the plate" and ramp up production to satisfy consumer demand. This has been going on with Spike's for 4- months. I know 3 other guys building AR's right now that are passing Spike's up to go with a company that can meet customer demands with a reasonable time frame.

I wonder if they are so far behind and you need to send back a part that needs to be returned/replaced if you'd have to wait 6-8 weeks to get your parts? That would be hard to swallow after you already paid them for the product!

You make it sound so easy. They can't make parts appear out of thin air. Every manufacturer has to rely on another supplier for material of some sort. They're also not the only company with things out of stock. Long backorder estimates protect them from asshats who like to complain. If they said 2-4 weeks and it became 6-8 weeks people would ***** even more.

Primary Arms had the Spikes upper I wanted in stock about a week ago. Have to keep an eye out.

Or I'll sell you mine for $1,000. And to pass on one because it has an MOE handguard is absurd. You either want the upper or you don't.

SoCalG
05-02-2011, 3:46 PM
doubling a business to meet production like that is a good way to go out of business. the demand will slow down, and they will catch up.

oh, and depends on what you mean by "make"

do they make their rifles? yes, they assemble them, thats making.

do they make their forgings? no
do they cnc their forgings? no
do they stamp their logo? good question, i bet no to that too.
i would bet their components are from CMT.

Since you seemed to comment, I thought I'd do the same.

I didn't say double their production- did I- No I didn't
I didn't say they make their own rifles- I realize they assemble parts they get from other companies to "make" their own rifle
Their production has been 6+ weeks for 4-6+ months now- NOT good for business

SoCalG
05-02-2011, 3:48 PM
Or I'll sell you mine for $1,000. And to pass on one because it has an MOE handguard is absurd. You either want the upper or you don't.

I want the upper without the magpul- I don't want to have to spend another $300 to get the Spike's hand guard- got it?

SoCalG
05-02-2011, 3:50 PM
Spikes or Mega? I was thinking of doing a Spikes Bio Billet build but with all this talk
of long waits I don't know :-)

Im definitely looking at some other options. Spike's is way to slow in production for me.

hotfire
05-02-2011, 6:10 PM
I'm glad I ordered my Spikes middy from AIM before they sold out. 16" middy with MOE handguard for $499.95 is sweet. Pretty much the moe handguard was a free upgrade. Free shipping and no tax is a plus.

rattlesnake_nm
05-02-2011, 6:29 PM
I'm glad I ordered my Spikes middy from AIM before they sold out. 16" middy with MOE handguard for $499.95 is sweet. Pretty much the moe handguard was a free upgrade. Free shipping and no tax is a plus.

You cannot beat the price from aim. Moe handguards are easy to sell on the markey place or ebay. I'm playing with my new spikes 10.5 upper. I ordered on the 28th, and got it today. Oh, and it came with a st-t2, thats another $30 bucks. This is the best deal around.

FourLoko
05-02-2011, 6:50 PM
Yep, that's a good deal. I paid $499 for the "plain" midlength LE upper.

Don29palms
05-02-2011, 6:57 PM
F AIM surplus. try rifle gear?

I AGREE! AIM Surplus will not ship Spikes stripped lowers or any other stripped lower to California.

rattlesnake_nm
05-02-2011, 6:59 PM
I AGREE! AIM Surplus will not ship Spikes stripped lowers or any other stripped lower to California.

That is ****tty. Why do Californians continue to vote for commies? Is it the welfare breeders?

RaceDay
05-02-2011, 7:18 PM

Spikes from AIM is a great deal. I bought the 16" LE from Spikes a year ago and then got the 14.5" with pinned vortex FH for $540 a month ago. The 14.5" actually lasted more than a day the second time around. :)

ThemBastards
05-02-2011, 7:22 PM
I just dros'd a spikes stripped zombie lower at Riflegear this weekend. I think they had several in stock. No completes though.

SoCalG
05-02-2011, 8:14 PM
Im going with Mega upper/lower billet set. Looks sweet!

dmacintyre
05-02-2011, 9:00 PM
All I know is that every time the ETA for my billet set comes around they push it out another 4 weeks. And they took my money at time of order :(

I recently bought Mega and Black Rain Ordnance billet sets which seem to be very high quality so the Spikes order is in danger of being cancelled imminently. I don't like doing business with people who take my money, then miss deadlines then blame a supplier for the delay, especially when the alternative is as good as or better for the same money.

rocknut
05-02-2011, 9:24 PM
I just bought a new spike's middy upper off gunbroker for 479 plus shipping. Was here in 4 days. Turns out the guy listing it on GB is the VP of spikes. I couldn't be happier with the upper and with the transaction.

MacOtac
05-02-2011, 9:40 PM
Demand is supper high right now.... Bravo company is drained everything is sold out on their web page. Spikes has a backlog... everywhere you turn to buy something of quality it is going to cost you some wait time. That is how it is.... You want quality over quantity? You are going to have to wait! It makes it that much better when you get it. LOL, I have been waiting 5 months now for my Raven Concealment holster and it is just going into production... it will probably be another month before I get it! Now that is waiting. I have no problem with it if it is good stuff!

hotfire
05-02-2011, 9:57 PM
It could be that Spikes is more concerned by fulfilling its dealers inventory before their own. I'm not sure why people are upset with Spikes, they clearly state their ship date on their site. If you dont like it move on, there are many other great dealers on the web, some with better prices. Demand is high and one just needs to put in a little effort to find the right upper.

dmacintyre
05-03-2011, 5:40 AM
I'm not sure why people are upset with Spikes, they clearly state their ship date on their site. If you dont like it move on

They have broken their deadline on my order twice and blamed a supplier. And they took my money at time of order so I am down $500 while waiting.

zfields
05-03-2011, 6:11 AM
Since you seemed to comment, I thought I'd do the same.

I didn't say double their production- did I- No I didn't
I didn't say they make their own rifles- I realize they assemble parts they get from other companies to "make" their own rifle
Their production has been 6+ weeks for 4-6+ months now- NOT good for business

Obviously, it is good for buisness since they are still backlogged with orders...

KALIDAWG8996
05-03-2011, 6:43 AM
They may possibily be losing on potential sales but, it doesn't mean that there aren't those out there that aren't willing to wait. For people that have been in this business for awhile, whether as a gun dealer or part of a manufacturer and even as a consumer, should know that many things move at the speed of molasses in the firearms industry especially when it comes to tooling and machining due to tight tolerances and quality control. Companies such as BCM, DSA, and SPIKES sell out fairly fast due to high demand and worth the wait on certain priced items. They improve production as need be, economically and feasability allowing.

Go through one of their dealers such as Riflegear or Parallax Tactical if you're in such a rush and helpout the economy a bit. You may even be saving money due to DROS and shipping fees.

Finally, if you're not happy with an order anywhere or its too long of a wait, cancel your order get your money back and look someplace else...freedom of choice is a very good thing....

pacifico23
05-03-2011, 6:55 AM
I doubt there losing money. Hell it's hard to find any upper that isn't LMT. Everyone has waiting lists, buying up DD barrels. Damn you sabre!!! There shutdown put a serious crimp in the uppers being manufactured right now.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
05-03-2011, 7:54 AM
Patience is a virtue, and I've never had to wait this long for anything. Should make it all the better when I hold that new upper in my hand. My thoughts are, I'd rather Spikes take their time and build it right, then cut corners on production to save time and produce an inferior product.

Placed my upper order March 26th and still waiting......

Mike27t
05-03-2011, 8:01 AM
Im going to guess everyone is the same. i ordered a zombie lower through riflegear around xmas last year, it just came in last week. Also ordered a bcg from them around the same time, still no signs of it.

Sounds like you got screwed.. I pre-ordered the same lower through riflegear Jan 8th, I received it within 3 weeks.

21SF
05-03-2011, 8:06 AM
When i ordered mine last year i had a complete custom upper at my doorstep in 2 1/2 weeks. Customer service was top not and the rifle has been flawless.

Wait or STFU!!!

tenpercentfirearms
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I have to laugh at you rookies who are complaining about wait times and think that Spike's is going to go out of business because of it.

Ever hear of a company called Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT)? They have always had long wait times and their quality is top notch and their sales are always brisk.

Let's see, who else has wait times?

Alexander Arms
Larue (? not sure, they don't do dealer sales really)
Noveske
POF
Rock River Arms (used to, I think they have caught up)

As has been stated, if you get all excited about your increase in sales and spend a lot of capital on ramping up production, you can quickly go under. An excellent example is Daniel Defense. They really ramped up production during the Obama panic while everyone else just stay the same. When the whole thing came crashing down, they nearly lost everything as their 70 rifles per day were suddenly sitting on shelves. What was once a quality product that could demand some of that higher coin, was blown out on the wholesale market and their price point will never come back up again.

So it is true a few people in this instant gratification world are going to get upset at Spike's and demand they increase production to suit their needs and when Spike's doesn't, they are going to go elsewhere.

However, all of those back orders are not going to go away and Spike's will continue to be a successful business because they are run by great people, that sell a great product, and have great customer service. When you are good, people will wait for you. That is how the world works.

But what do I know?

762.DEFENSE
05-03-2011, 1:43 PM
Just simple supply vs demand. A lot of people want them just like they want BCM's, so their backed up on the production end making the supply limited.

Just be patient, their craftsmanship is well worth the wait! :D

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
05-03-2011, 1:51 PM
Scccccccorrrreeeeeee.

Just got this in email

UPS Ship Notification. yeha baby.