PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Residence Requirement

StraightShooter
05-02-2011, 11:51 AM
I am looking to purchase a handgun through a PPT a but I just recently moved. I have filled out the change of address through the DMV but they dont send a new DL with the new address for a simple change of address. My question is, if I have my marriage certificate with the new address and some recent utility bills, and the HSC should I have any issues with buying the handgun? I called a gunstore and they said that should be ok as the marriage certificate is a government issued document.

MoBait
05-02-2011, 11:56 AM
does your car registration have your old address on it? If so, I would just use my old address that matches on my registration and my DL.

StraightShooter
05-02-2011, 12:02 PM
does your car registration have your old address on it? If so, I would just use my old address that matches on my registration and my DL.

Yes it does have the old address? Would that seriously work?

halifax
05-02-2011, 12:12 PM
I think he is suggesting that you just use your old address on the forms so that everything matches.

Of course, you would be required to sign those government documents indicating that all the information is TRUE, CORRECT, AND COMPLETE including the CURRENT RESIDENCE ADDRESS you answered to Question #2 on the FEDERAL 4473.

If your FFL said the marriage license and a current utility bill are OK, go with that.

StraightShooter
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I think he is suggesting that you just use your old address on the forms so that everything matches.

Of course, you would be required to sign those government documents indicating that all the information is TRUE, CORRECT, AND COMPLETE including the CURRENT RESIDENCE ADDRESS you answered to Question #2 on the FEDERAL 4473.

If your FFL said the marriage license is OK, go with that.

Yeah, ill just use the marriage license.

wang949
05-02-2011, 4:47 PM
If you rent/lease your current living quarters, a signed lease agreement b/w you and your landlord will also work as proof of residence.

plsmyk
05-02-2011, 5:24 PM
I didn't know this, but you can go to the DVM office and be issued a card that you can carry with your Driver's License that verifies your changed address is your current address. The document is a DL43 - Change of Address Certificate Card.

Although if was going to go through the trouble of going to a DVM office, I'd be tempted to just tell them I lost my license and needed a new one in order to get a new DL with my new/current address.