PDA

View Full Version : please critique my choice on my first 1911!!

joostin4
05-02-2011, 10:00 AM
OK, with some helpful advice and research I've finally decided on my first 1911. My budget was roughly $1000. Please let me know if I am missing anything crucial or if you have any tips/advice for me.

Please let me know if you advise against anything I list here....

I'm pretty sure I want an ambidextrous safety (I'm a lefty). One concern I have about this is that I've heard it might make it harder to customize an ambi safety model in the future if I ever want work done. Is this true or just exaggeration?

I don't want tiny sights AND I want them to be night sights. I don't wanna pay extra down the road to install and pay for labor on night sights. I'd rather have them from the get go. Novak night sights or something along those lines would be nice.

I would prefer grip serrations on the muzzle.

I DONT want a rail. I feel that a rail ruins the look of a 1911. I just feel that it bastardizes the classic look. Just my personal preference.

I want it stainless. Just asthetic preference.

I want it with black/grey grips. Just asthetic preference.

Based on these criteria, my budget, and the process of elimination, I've found two models that fit my description:

the Springfield Armory Loaded - Black stainless target

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=18

OR

the Springfield Armory Loaded - Black stainless steel combat

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=19

Any advice or comments on these models? Can you suggest me something better that fits my parameters?

Rob Roy
05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
When it comes to 1911s, I'd buy american, but that's just me...

Ripon83
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
The black stainless guns look awesome. If appearance is important they have it. I think you can get a Colt XSE for roughly e same price, but I don't know the safety.

My choice would be, and was for me, a Rock Island Armory Tactical. With $ 1,000 you have enough left over for extra magazines, 500 to 1,000 rounds or if you prefer a 22 kit for more practice at a low cost.....just spending so much less on the gun gives you a lot more options. The RIA tactical has most of the SA features, but certainly is not as pretty....

beauregard
05-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I'll co-sign your decision on either.

jak77
05-02-2011, 10:20 AM
I think your on the right track. I have a SA Loaded Combat thats parkarized and I really enjoy mine. I think whichever you choose you'll like. Now you need to decide if you need adjustable or fixed sights.

Go Bolts
05-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I have a black stainless Loaded Combat model, and the black finish wore away very quickly...I've heard of at least one other person (on Calguns) with the same issue. I sent the gun back to SA for some custom work and a re-finish, and the finish has been flawless since I received it back.

Just putting it out there ;) Terrific gun though.

joostin4
05-02-2011, 11:29 AM

I would if I could afford it. I was looking at the Colt combat special government model also but it is well beyond my means.

I think your on the right track. I have a SA Loaded Combat thats parkarized and I really enjoy mine. I think whichever you choose you'll like. Now you need to decide if you need adjustable or fixed sights.

I'm still on the fence about this. Can anyone tell me if having fixed sights are a disadvantage?

Bobby Ricigliano
05-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I have a Springfield Loaded and I love it. I'd say buy the parkerized one with fixed night sights and you'll have some money left over for a couple of Wilson 47D's. The magazines that come with Springfield 1911's are junk.

P.S. I don't see any use in adjustable target sights in a defensive pistol.

rogervzv
05-02-2011, 11:57 AM
My criteria are similar to yours and I think I am going to go with the Smith & Wesson SS 1911 which is around $990. Fixed sights though, which is fine with me.

robcoe
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I would not worry about the grips, they are easy to change out if you dont like the ones that come with the gun.

codeman8
05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
OP, either of those you listed are great choices. SA has a lifetime warranty too. You simply can't beat that.

gearhead15
05-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm still on the fence about this. Can anyone tell me if having fixed sights are a disadvantage?

Generally, fixed sights are preferred on a carry gun due to the fixed sights typically being more compact and less likely to snag on anything while adjustable sights are often specified on a target gun where it's important to be able to precisely dial in POI to POA. Obviously this is dependent on the sights, the gun, and the shooter.

joostin4
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging nods guys. I really wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking anything or ignorant about 1911 specs.

As you can tell, I really don't know much about 1911's. But I do know that they seem to be very intricate based on all the details and parts that 1911 enthusiasts seem to debate over. I want to make sure that if I make a $1000+ investment, I don't end up regretting it later because it has an inferior ________ or subpar ________.

Q619
05-02-2011, 2:53 PM
People who say to buy American need to understand that an American company turning a profit off the hard labor of foreigners making pennies on the dollar is about as American as it gets. That being said: Get a Springfield loaded model :D

GunLover
05-02-2011, 4:30 PM
I have a target model in jail. I am picking it up tomorrow. It seems very well fitted. The finish looks less than durable. I will refinish in the future.

MongooseV8
05-02-2011, 5:02 PM
Both of these options have everything you want save for the Ambi Safety. However those are cheap, and cake to install. Id have to flip a coin between the Kimbers and a Loaded SA since Ive had them both....

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/eclipse-ii/eclipse-custom-ii
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/custom-ii/stainless-tle-ii

Cant go wrong with a Loaded SA, but thought I would show you another option ;)

BTW, your second choice SA doesnt have night sights.

joostin4
05-02-2011, 8:37 PM
Both of these options have everything you want save for the Ambi Safety. However those are cheap, and cake to install. Id have to flip a coin between the Kimbers and a Loaded SA since Ive had them both....

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/eclipse-ii/eclipse-custom-ii
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/custom-ii/stainless-tle-ii

Cant go wrong with a Loaded SA, but thought I would show you another option ;)

BTW, your second choice SA doesnt have night sights.

hmmm...... that's something I haven't considered. Could it be cheaper for me to buy any stainless framed 1911 and just install an ambi safety/adjustable night sights?

7222 Hawker
05-02-2011, 8:52 PM
Awesome choice. Springfield wrote the book. I have several.

high_lander
05-03-2011, 5:49 AM
I would go with the SA due to it being ready for you out of the box. As a fellow lefty shooter (and who carries the SA Loaded as an EDC) I would go with the non-target site. It is nice that SA offers the ambi safety on most of it's guns. As other pointed out, also pick up some 47Ds. I shot a defensive pistol class with my factory mags and did not have an issue except only being 7 rounds. So far this gun eats all the ammo I toss at it, unlike my RIA.

ZX-10R
05-03-2011, 9:39 AM

Amen...For $1000? You can get the Colt XSE and be happy you bought USA. 1911 = USA. Anacondas = Brazil. :D

Plus you get the 100 Years of Service mark on the right side.

Your choices were not even on my list...Second on my list was a S&W 1911 and Kimber, and Para was last. SA upon finding out that most if not all our Brazilian made killed it for me. Sorry that is me.

timmyb21
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Either one you mentioned is great.

RealBarber
05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I would if I could afford it. I was looking at the Colt combat special government model also but it is well beyond my means.

go for the Colt XSE

IPSICK
05-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Swartz or Series 80 safeties? No thanks. You'll be fine with the Springfields you've listed.

Good old American gunsmiths use them for base guns for their full house customs. They must be alright.

Bobby Hated
05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
buy a colt xse.

redcliff
05-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Amen...For $1000? You can get the Colt XSE and be happy you bought USA. 1911 = USA. Anacondas = Brazil. :D

Plus you get the 100 Years of Service mark on the right side.

Your choices were not even on my list...Second on my list was a S&W 1911 and Kimber, and Para was last. SA upon finding out that most if not all our Brazilian made killed it for me. Sorry that is me.

While all Springfields are made from forgings done in Brazil by Imbel, only the base models with a N, not NM, serial prefix are fully machined and assembled in Brazil and are marked accordingly on their frame rail or under the dust cover. The rest are partially or fully machined in the US and assembled by American workers and are considerred American made by our government. Springfields have a life-time warranty, great customer service and a fantastic custom shop for modifications.

While I like Colts, they're usually looser than Springfields by a wide margin. Colt also has slide-rub problems on some pistols due to dust cover machining being off-center at times, so examine any you look at carefully.

I refuse to buy Kimbers anymore due to their poor QC and warranty service. While they can build a very nice pistol, they often don't.

S&W builds a decent pistol if you can get past the external extractor and Swartz safety.

Friends don't let friends buy Para's.

Omil
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I would prefer Colt but SA's fine. GL!!