View Full Version : Can't find Black Hills ammo anywhere

11-25-2006, 6:09 PM
Anyone know a place that has BH remanufactured .223 in stock? Looking for 68 grain and heavier.

Also, having never shot the stuff before, I've seen on Midway that they offer several bullet types (all out of stock) -- nosler partition, hollow point, etc. Are these bullet types OK to shoot in target rifle matches, or should you only get the Sierra Match King bullets (which I assume are full metal jacket)?

11-25-2006, 6:28 PM
Gotta help a brother out:

Forgot to add that I believe he also has the red box available.

11-25-2006, 8:58 PM
The 'HP' is used in describing match bullets only by appearance, and not by design for expansion.

Match bullets like the Sierra MatchKing are described as HP, or BTHP because the tip is hollow. But this is by nature of the design of the bullet for maximum accuracy, not expansion. Thus, the term OTM, or Open Tip Match, has become commonly used to describe such match bullets by shooters.

Sierra Match Kings are not FMJ since it has the hole in the tip, thus it is not fully encased in metal.

As far as which Black Hills to get, any of there ammo sold with a 'match' bullet would be considered match grade ammo. But for highpower, you would get either the 69gr, 75gr, or 77gr blue box ammo. The 69 and 77 used should be Sierra Match Kings as indicated on the website. The 75gr ammo uses the Hornady 75gr BTHP Match bullet. This is a good bullet. I still have a few hundred of the Hornady bullets and they are just as accurate as the Sierra Match King 77, and cheaper.

If you haven't tried Creedmoor, they sell Black Hills remanufactured ammo.

Tomorrow I will test the Nosler 77gr Competition bullet. I bought 2000 from nosler.com for $207 shipped. I just finished loading 50 rounds using 24.2gr and 24.5gr of RL15 a few minutes ago. I'm going to chrono test and then an accuracy/zero test at 200.

After I decide which load to use, I'll load up another 50 using that powder charge and do some rapid fire strings to verify it holds up to barrel heat as it would experience in a highpower match.

11-26-2006, 7:38 PM
donger, thanks for the link!

ocabj, wow, as usual, you've given me a tutorial on a subject I don't know much about. thanks very much. I'm copying your post so I can refer to it in the future.

11-26-2006, 8:36 PM

midway has a few more flavors as well...