PDA

View Full Version : Elcan clone for AR15

MacDime
05-01-2011, 11:20 PM
I need an optic for an AR i just put together and dont have $450 for an aimpoint. I know that there are aimpoint clones out there, however i came across an elcan specter dr and thought it looked pretty nice. Does anyone have one or know anything about them?
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/632bbc/DSCF0956.jpg

Bigbird19
05-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Its most likely an airsoft clone. I work at an airsoft store and have seen these brought it. Good for airsoft but Don't think it woulld hold a zero.. .Save your money

MrPlink
05-01-2011, 11:58 PM
search the forums, you can get a real ELCAN (not a DR) for as low as 300 bucks sometimes.

Of the aimpoint clones, there are very few worth considering, Primary Arms and Vortex mostly. Most others are toys and not worth a penny.

Merc1138
05-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Save your money. Most clones are crap, the exceptions being Vortex and Primary arms(neither of which are perfect) like MrPlink already mentioned. There are plenty of used elcans, eotechs, and aimpoints that can be found for under $350, and even new aimpoints and eotechs can be had for under $400 if you shop around for the right deals(there's always some sort of deal on these things in the commercial sales forum). Leave the chinese airsoft junk to the airsoft guns and save up your cash.

A friend of mine had a dirt cheap red dot, zero'd it and it was great for about 15 shots then on the next round the dot shifted. People run into this and end up wasting money and end up learning the lesson the hard way.

kozumasbullitt
05-02-2011, 12:51 AM
There is a difference between vortex/primary arms and clones or in my words counterfeits, the later is junk and when you buy them it supports the bad guy.

pyro3k2
05-02-2011, 9:22 AM
I bought an real ACOG a few months ago, I factored in the cost off all the clones i've broken and it would have been cheaper to buy the real deal first :(. But the I would not consider the vortex/primary arms red dots to be clones but more like the economy versions. They do come with a pretty damn good warrenty so if it breaks your not out of your money like me :(. If it's reasonable save up for that aimpoint but if would take way to long then the PA, vortex, bushnell TRS-25 are good alternatives.

thrillhouse700
05-02-2011, 10:08 AM
My primary arms clone has about a 700 rd count and still holding zero. Ive dropped it in the dirt and also on carpet :) Left it on for 3 weeks and it still had power (I replaced the battery anyways). Not bad for your average plinker like me.

Sniper3142
05-02-2011, 10:20 AM
There is a difference between vortex/primary arms and clones or in my words counterfeits, the later is junk and when you buy them it supports the bad guy.

+1

Shop around and get an optic meant for a real firearm.