PDA

View Full Version : harris bipod question

hi1maj
05-01-2011, 7:58 PM
i'm ordering a 6-9" swivel notched bipod for my remington 700 tactical rifle. I was wondering if i need a bipod adapter or something. People have mentioned purchase a pod lock but i dont know which one to get exactly. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

GUNNTZ
05-01-2011, 8:05 PM
You shouldn't need any additional parts as long as there is a swivel stud on the front of the foregrip. I've got mine mounted on my 5R without any issue.

hi1maj
05-01-2011, 8:11 PM
alright, i haven't even really looked at my rifle yet as its still at the dealer waiting to get picked up, so i didn't know if i needed a special nut or something to attach it.

dvsdev
05-01-2011, 8:50 PM
Harris bipods and Harris "style" bipods attach to the rifle by a sling stud. A pod lock is an accessory for the "S" series or swivel models that allow you adjust or lock the swivel knob.

dspracing
05-01-2011, 9:05 PM
Just installed a harris on my rem 700. you are good to go right out of the box(ziploc bag)

WDE91
05-01-2011, 9:10 PM
on your rifle you will have a sling stud
a piece of metal with a hole through

the harris styled bipods have 2 retention pins that go into the sling stud then the bipod has a screw that snugs the bipod up to the bottom of the stock

Pryde
05-01-2011, 9:26 PM
A harris S bipod allows you to swivel it left and right, you lock the tension using a knurled nut on the bottom when you want to stabilize it (you are going to want to lock/unlock it constantly when adjusting to a new position/surface.

The podlock replaces the nut with a lever which is much easier to lock down. I would consider it a mandatory upgrade because with the stock nut you don't have enough leverage to really lock the bipod down while in the prone position.

To answer your original question the bipod is GTG as-is but you will want the podlock for practical purposes.

rareair
05-02-2011, 2:18 PM
A harris S bipod allows you to swivel it left and right, you lock the tension using a knurled nut on the bottom when you want to stabilize it (you are going to want to lock/unlock it constantly when adjusting to a new position/surface.

The podlock replaces the nut with a lever which is much easier to lock down. I would consider it a mandatory upgrade because with the stock nut you don't have enough leverage to really lock the bipod down while in the prone position.

To answer your original question the bipod is GTG as-is but you will want the podlock for practical purposes.

Actually the knurled knob on the bottom is to secure the bipod to the swivel stub on the rifles foregrip. The knurled nut to "lock" the swivel feature is located on the front of the bipod.

I do agree having a podlock installed is almost mandatory if using a Harris BRM-S model bipod. Without it, after firing a few rounds, the knurled nut will become loose

Pryde
05-02-2011, 9:07 PM
Actually the knurled knob on the bottom is to secure the bipod to the swivel stub on the rifles foregrip. The knurled nut to "lock" the swivel feature is located on the front of the bipod.

I do agree having a podlock installed is almost mandatory if using a Harris BRM-S model bipod. Without it, after firing a few rounds, the knurled nut will become loose

I see what you mean but it is a matter of semantics, by "bottom" I pictured in my head the rifle standing up with the bipod legs being the "top". But really if you want to get technical, it would be located at the "rear" and not the "front".