PDA

View Full Version : New Sig 522 Swat

zoglog
05-01-2011, 8:54 PM
Finally got my Sig 522 Swat and tested it at the range today. Had some issues but they're all sorted out now!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225556_10150170922399142_533879141_6963373_4500519 _n.jpg

A few things that surprised me

1) the bolt doesn't auto lock back after the last round, the magazine follower stops it and you need to pull it back and manually lock it back
2) The mags are in there tight, mag release doesn't let it drop, I need to yank it out!

had quite a few fte's and double feeds at first (user error probably)
I wasn't aware of point 1. However at the end it would fire 5 mags rapidly without any issue. Used Federal .22 champion bulk packs. I love the trigger and the folding stock is always a nice bonus.

One surprise was that it actually came with the iron sights too. I had read everywhere that those were not included, so that's a nice bonus.

Skunk2Racer
05-01-2011, 9:30 PM
Looks like you were so excited to fire it you forgot to take the Tags off. LOL

Oceanbob
05-01-2011, 9:35 PM
Finally got my Sig 522 Swat and tested it at the range today. Had some issues but they're all sorted out now!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225556_10150170922399142_533879141_6963373_4500519 _n.jpg

1) the bolt doesn't auto lock back after the last round, the magazine follower stops it and you need to pull it back and manually lock it back
2) The mags are in there tight, mag release doesn't let it drop, I need to yank it out!

I wasn't aware of point 1. However at the end it would fire 5 mags rapidly without any issue. Used Federal .22 champion bulk packs. I love the trigger and the folding stock is always a nice bonus.

One surprise was that it actually came with the iron sights too. I had read everywhere that those were not included, so that's a nice bonus.

I'am guessing you're on the 10 day wait now. I asssume they did the DROS.?

Good
Bob
:D

zoglog
05-02-2011, 1:18 AM
I'am guessing you're on the 10 day wait now. I asssume they did the DROS.?

Good
Bob
:D

yeah, it all got sorted out, I can understand the paranoia to a certain extent since they got audited by the ATF.

Either way still enjoy shooting at the range and it all worked out in the end.

As for the tags, just leaving everything on there until I actually take it home :)
Shot perfectly fine with them

goofcat
05-02-2011, 3:23 PM
congrats on the SWAT! I really enjoy shooting mine. I would recommend cleaning the rifle, before shooting anymore ammo through it. Also check your bolt to see if it is the new fixed one and not the one with the clips on either end. I had issues with in the beginning due to the bolt pin issue.

What optics are you running and how do you like it?

zoglog
05-02-2011, 6:35 PM
congrats on the SWAT! I really enjoy shooting mine. I would recommend cleaning the rifle, before shooting anymore ammo through it. Also check your bolt to see if it is the new fixed one and not the one with the clips on either end. I had issues with in the beginning due to the bolt pin issue.

What optics are you running and how do you like it?

Currently running the Primary Arms M3 Clone + their 3x magnifier and FTS mount. (total cost about $230 or so)

So far so good, but one thing I did not anticipate was that if I sighted my red dot for 20 yards away, if I flipped out the magnifier for close range fire at 5-10 yards, the red dot would be way too high.

I'm also getting an eotech magnifier for my xps 2 so it'll be interesting to compare the quality between the 2 systems.

I also got in a lucid HD7 today and it comes with a screw in 2x magnifier, so I'll be testing that on my 522 as well. I'm assuming all of the above will hold zero just fine on small .22 rounds. I guess quality concerns are more for moving the optics & gun around and not losing zero.

About the bolt, is the new bolt the silver one?

For those of you that own the 522, do the mags kind of stick in place? I find I have to yank the mags out along with the mag release to get them out. I have 3 aftermarket black dog mags and the sig/blackdog oem one and all are the same. And this is with the bolt being held by the manual bolt stopper.

discoed
05-02-2011, 7:38 PM
The first time at the range with my 522 the mags where sticking a lot. I thought I was going to have to shave something off. After a couple range sessions the mags got better. They don't fall out as soon as I hit the mag release but are a lot easier to take out.

zoglog
05-03-2011, 2:01 PM
The first time at the range with my 522 the mags where sticking a lot. I thought I was going to have to shave something off. After a couple range sessions the mags got better. They don't fall out as soon as I hit the mag release but are a lot easier to take out.

Ah good to hear, glad it's not just mine. Looking forward to take this out for longer range shooting next week. Indoor range is only like 20 yards or so.

C_S
05-03-2011, 2:34 PM
Ah good to hear, glad it's not just mine.

Yeah, seems to be a common thing with the 522. I have the same issues with my mags requiring some manipulating to get em out. It is slowly getting better with use.

Bartin
05-03-2011, 3:06 PM
For those of you that own the 522, do the mags kind of stick in place? I find I have to yank the mags out along with the mag release to get them out. I have 3 aftermarket black dog mags and the sig/blackdog oem one and all are the same. And this is with the bolt being held by the manual bolt stopper.

I read on here somewhere that the smoke colored BDM mags stick and the black ones don't. I ordered 5 black ones and none of them stick. The thread said that shaving a little off the smoke ones seems to fix it.

Boristheblade
05-03-2011, 5:46 PM

I had all the same problems you had when I shot my rifle the first time. After I cleaned and oiled for the next time it worked fine.

Mag is sticky too.

scargk
05-03-2011, 6:01 PM
Congrats!....I dremeled a few mags down per another link on the board as a test run to see how they last vs un-altered re: mag tightness...I prefer the altered ones still after a few months...I like them to almost drop out.

Additionally, I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed my 522 Swat before shooting it and didn't have any FTE but did have a few FTF...no double feeds.

Great rifle - love it! Can't wait for next shooting day!

zoglog
05-03-2011, 6:38 PM
neat, I actually got the vinyl filled ones (which are neat since they match the color of the rifle), and the stock one is smoke I think. Maybe I'll get some black ones to test.

BamBam-31
05-04-2011, 10:40 PM
The mags are all different specs, and the wider ones (like the smoke 10 rounders that come with the rifle) do stick. I have some BDM's that drop freely, however. I believe they are newer and slimmer.

The wider mags need to be sanded down. You basically disassemble them into left/right halves and run the half w/o pips over sandpaper to thin it out a bit. This needs to be done through slow trial and error, as it's rather hard to put back on what you've just sanded off.

I also ran in to a problem with rounds not feeding from the mag into the ramp and chamber at the correct angle. In short, the mags had some front/back play, and they needed to be pushed forward a bit to feed correctly. I fixed that with a set screw through the rear of the mag well. Not difficult, and the rifle works 100% now with all mags and is a complete joy to shoot. Nevertheless, it's something I shouldn't have had to do. :(

zoglog
05-05-2011, 7:40 PM
The mags are all different specs, and the wider ones (like the smoke 10 rounders that come with the rifle) do stick. I have some BDM's that drop freely, however. I believe they are newer and slimmer.

The wider mags need to be sanded down. You basically disassemble them into left/right halves and run the half w/o pips over sandpaper to thin it out a bit. This needs to be done through slow trial and error, as it's rather hard to put back on what you've just sanded off.

I also ran in to a problem with rounds not feeding from the mag into the ramp and chamber at the correct angle. In short, the mags had some front/back play, and they needed to be pushed forward a bit to feed correctly. I fixed that with a set screw through the rear of the mag well. Not difficult, and the rifle works 100% now with all mags and is a complete joy to shoot. Nevertheless, it's something I shouldn't have had to do. :(

heh agreed, esp since it's non proprietary.

Pvtryan
05-24-2011, 9:32 AM
What kind of muzzle device and iron sights that it came up with?

BamBam-31
05-24-2011, 9:59 AM
All the 522's I've seen came with no iron sights. They can be purchased, however, either from SIG or aftermarket. From what I understand, newer rifles now come with iron sights, but I've yet to see any.

The only muzzle devices I've seen on OEM 522's are standard birdcage flash hiders. Some standard A2, some longer (as in the picture above). Some of these flash hiders were simply screwed on (in which case you can replace it with any standard AR-15 muzzle device), others were permanently welded on.

IOW, if you want to buy one, go look at it first to see what you're getting exactly.

NYY
05-24-2011, 7:50 PM
thats sick dude haha

T3chnical
05-25-2011, 3:37 PM
Glad I did a search on 522's here on CG. My shop ordered me a brand new classic from the manufacturer and to my surprise it came with the iron sights!

Anyhow, I have the same problems others have posted:

Standard Sig Mag has a tight fitting and pretty much have to yank the sucker out.
BCG catches on the mag follower just after last bullet ejection.

My black BD mags don't have this problem but then again it's not a free fall drop as I would like after pressing the mag release. Thinking of following BamBam's suggestion for my Sig standard:

Regarding my first trip to the range, I had a few contact issues but after a good cleaning, my second go around I had no issues and shot flawless. BTW used Federal Champion 22LR ammo.

Pulled my Lucid HD7 w/ 2x Magnifier off my 556 SWAT-C and zero'd my 522 within minutes. I can plink with this all day!

Looking forward to my day trip up to the Angeles Range this Saturday 5/28/11 (ya I know its memorial weekend, gonna be crazy busy). But hey, look me up if you're there, I'll be the guy with the 556 and 522!