PDA

View Full Version : Schwartz FPS.

Andy Taylor
05-01-2011, 4:52 PM
Ok, I know how the Colt Series 80 firing Pin Safety works. Tell me about the Schwartz. How does it work? What is the history behind it? I know Kimber uses it. does anyone else? Thanks in advance. :cool2:

leelaw
05-01-2011, 5:05 PM
The Swartz safety was the original FPS introduced by Colt. It is activated by the grip safety instead of the trigger. I don't think that anyone but Kimber currently uses it, but I'm not certain on that.

http://www.m1911.org/technic12.htm

9mmepiphany
05-01-2011, 5:07 PM
S&W uses one in their 1911s

Peter.Steele
05-01-2011, 5:16 PM
Kimber's execution of it - with the grip safety - was not particularly fantastic, at least in the first years of the Series II pistols. There were some issues with firing at odd angles and postures. For instance, any time the gun was upside down you had a seriously increased chance of a problem.

JanG
05-01-2011, 5:42 PM
doesn't sig use some sort of shwartz safety also?

Andy Taylor
05-02-2011, 6:35 AM
Thanks for the info. When did Colt come out with this FPS?

fullspeed1
05-02-2011, 8:33 AM
Aside from a couple of extra parts in your Kimber, The FPS does not affect the firearms performance one bit. In fact, You barely have to depress the grip safety to deactivate the Schwartz system. "Timing issue" is a myth. I will agree that it is a solution to a non-existent issue, But it works just fine.

Mute
05-02-2011, 9:40 AM
I believe Colt made the first Swartz Safety guns available in 1937. They seem to work for the most part, but I have had Kimbers that fail to fire (no hit on the primer) on three different Series II Kimbers. Each time the failure only happened once and I never happened again. I've never had that kind of failure to fire on any Series 80 Colts.

stormvet
05-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Aside from a couple of extra parts in your Kimber, The FPS does not affect the firearms performance one bit. In fact, You barely have to depress the grip safety to deactivate the Schwartz system. "Timing issue" is a myth. I will agree that it is a solution to a non-existent issue, But it works just fine.

Spot on, I also like the fact that the trigger is not involved, unlike the series 80.

erikdjs
05-02-2011, 1:10 PM
Given a choice, I'd prefer it not to be related to the trigger - So the Schwartz get's my vote for lesser of two evils.