PDA

View Full Version : BCG question

atomicwedgy
05-01-2011, 1:39 PM
Do i need to check my headspace on a Spikes bolt carrier group I am dropping into my BCM mid length upper? If so is there a good way to do it and if so what tools should I get.

FeuerFrei
05-01-2011, 1:55 PM
If both are new then no.

Cokebottle
05-01-2011, 2:07 PM
It is never a bad idea, but the problem is fixing it if it is off.

Headspace is a function of the bolt, barrel extension, and chamber.
If all of the parts are in spec, the headspacing will be fine.

Headspacing can open up as the locking fingers on the bolt and barrel extension wear.

CHS
05-01-2011, 3:20 PM
Barrels and bolts are headspaced from the factory. There is no need to headspace them as long as both are new. Plus, most people don't have the proper headspace gauges to begin with AND to properly headspace you must remove the ejector from the bolt, something most people aren't able to do themselves.

Don29palms
05-01-2011, 3:38 PM
Barrels and bolts are headspaced from the factory. There is no need to headspace them as long as both are new. Plus, most people don't have the proper headspace gauges to begin with AND to properly headspace you must remove the ejector from the bolt, something most people aren't able to do themselves.

There are headspace guages that are cutout so you don't have to remove the ejector. They are sometimes hard to find though.

Paul_R
05-01-2011, 3:57 PM
There are headspace guages that are cutout so you don't have to remove the ejector. They are sometimes hard to find though.

Nothing a dremel tool can't remedy in about 30 seconds...;)

atomicwedgy
05-02-2011, 5:04 PM
thanks guys, i tried to search.