PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my upper AR15

OutkastSL
05-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Here is what I'm trying to do. I am in a wheelchair and will need an AR that is for range use and I want it as light as possible. I am aiming towards getting a 14.5" with the flash hider to make it 16". Here are my options so far. I wanted to keep the upper build under $500 before a hand rail.

Option 1: buy a Stag SBR 14.5" upper then buy a rail that I want and be done with it.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_42&products_id=348

Option 2: buy a BCM 14.5" mid length (light weight) upper receiver group, and for now get a cheap charging handle and BCG and the handrail I want.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw.htm

Option 3: build my own: buy a BCM upper receiver, and then source out some light/cheap parts? Which parts are imperative and which parts can I go cheap (for the time being). Any suggestions?

OutkastSL
05-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Here's my reasoning for option 2. I'll initially buy the BCM 14.5" upper and just get it going with a cheap CH and BCG. Then I will upgrade down the road and I should end up with a great upper over the stag.

evidens83
05-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Uh oh. Another Stag vs anything else thread :rolleyes: dieselpower to the rescue...

OutkastSL
05-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I figured it would end up that way. Option one can be stag, del-ton, Spikes, I don't care. I just want something reliable, worth the money and on a budget.

dieselpower
05-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Are you going to weld the MD yourself when installing the new rail? Are you going to go with DD 2piece set? Your choice of a 14.5 limits what you can buy and do yourself without going to a gunsmith...thats adds both time and money to a build.

dieselpower
05-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Uh oh. Another Stag vs anything else thread :rolleyes: dieselpower to the rescue...

why do you guys turn this into a war over brands...

how about you NOT start that in the first place.

OutkastSL
05-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Are you going to weld the MD yourself when installing the new rail? Are you going to go with DD 2piece set? Your choice of a 14.5 limits what you can buy and do yourself without going to a gunsmith...thats adds both time and money to a build.

From the looks of it, it's an option to add it before it ships. I don't weld, but I can pin it and have a buddy weld over the pin.

evidens83
05-01-2011, 10:29 AM
OP why the emphasis on going cheap? With the options you listed above you are going over that $500 limit either way. Might as well spend the bucks and do it right the first time. Personally I would opt for a 16" BCM mid length build. Should be about $600 with the BCG and CH...

OutkastSL
05-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Well I'm just trying to be budget conscious. BUT I know I'll end up with spending more. The BCM route is what I'm leaning towards because I know I'll do it right the first time. I want a 14.5" barrel because I'm in a wheelchair and want something light and maneuverable. But it's a marginal difference with a 16" barrel so I can go either way.

dieselpower
05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
From the looks of it, it's an option to add it before it ships. I don't weld, but I can pin it and have a buddy weld over the pin.

Oh I get it you want the base upper to be under $500. It sorta depends on what rail system you want. I was going to link to Rainer Arms and their LMT basics at $485, but the rail make them well over that.

whats your end $ figure? Have you thought about a pistol build for easy carry in your wheelchair? I have seen some awesome 11" pistol builds with a AFG...I just am a little shaky on the AFG with a pistol in CA. I know the ATF has given it a "good to go".

OutkastSL
05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm thinking $700 - 800 max for the uppers with rails and a cheap sight so I can go to the range. AR pistol will be later down the road. I'm even considering getting a CMMG dedicated 22lr first so I can just build up the 556/223 upper the way I want it.

dieselpower
05-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking $700 - 800 max for the uppers with rails and a cheap sight so I can go to the range. AR pistol will be later down the road. I'm even considering getting a CMMG dedicated 22lr first so I can just build up the 556/223 upper the way I want it.

well thats going to be a long wait or constant checking on BCM website for a $800 14.5 with rail. They have tons of them listed...all out of stock in minutes when they come availible.

osis32
05-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I know a place you can get stag upper with an lpk milspec carbine stock kit for 615. That's what I did for my first carbine. you get a yhm rail for 110 and you're gtg. Sell the stuff you don't need and the rail will basically be free. Then you can upgrade the barrel after you shoot it out.

dieselpower
05-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I know a place you can get stag upper with an lpk milspec carbine stock kit for 615. That's what I did for my first carbine. you get a yhm rail for 110 and you're gtg. Sell the stuff you don't need and the rail will basically be free. Then you can upgrade the barrel after you shoot it out.

legal transfers has those kits too.

You can get a Stag with Samson rail for $699.00

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_24&products_id=243

his choice is should he wait for the BCMs to come in stock.

that Stag/samson comes with a ARMS 40L... thats a $100+ flip up BUIS

OutkastSL
05-01-2011, 3:51 PM
A shop locally has the Stag 2HT and I am considering doing that too. So it would be worth it because of the ARM BUIS and the Samson StarC rail? Like I said before, i can do either a 14.5" or 16". It's a marginal difference.

dieselpower
05-01-2011, 4:35 PM
A shop locally has the Stag 2HT and I am considering doing that too. So it would be worth it because of the ARM BUIS and the Samson StarC rail? Like I said before, i can do either a 14.5" or 16". It's a marginal difference.

My 16" is 16" 1/8.
My 14.5" is 16 1/4.

yeah its nothing to think about. Its all a timing issue after the port and the 1.75" isn't a big deal.

If you don't want to wait for the BCM, the Stag is the way to go. You can ask Riflegear when he is going his next shipment in. He uses DD and has several under $800 with rails. What the BUIS is I do not know. That ARMS40L is a huge + in my book. The cheapest I see them going for is $103+shipping. BCM sells them for $120.

FYI, I think riflegear would need to charge you sales tax...you both have CA addresses, while currently if you buy out of State you just have to report that on your taxes.

OutkastSL
05-02-2011, 8:47 AM
The riflegear uppers are rebadged DD? How are the YHM Uppers?

mlevans66
05-02-2011, 8:53 AM
Get the BCM wit a cheapy BCG and CH from the market thread.

dieselpower
05-02-2011, 8:59 AM
The riflegear uppers are rebadged DD?

yes. Riflegear gets all of his stuff form DD. He is just not allowed to advertise that fact. And you get no service from DD for that fact. Riflegear is where you would seek service if any is needed.

OutkastSL
05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks Diesel for alll your help. Now i just narrow down what I want to do.

DCMONSTER27
05-02-2011, 7:14 PM
I am building my first AR15. I ourchased a CMMG 5.53 lower on sat and i have to wait my 10 days. As far as the upper, i have no clue what i want. I dont relly know much about the uppers. can you pout a pikatiny rail on any upper? cuz thats what i want. Id like to have a laser, bayonet, mabye flashlight and a flip down foregrip. Then of course a flip up backup iron sight and a nice optical scope. So any idean? Im new and still tryna gather info before i go and spend all this money on an upper.

RaceDay
05-02-2011, 8:13 PM
I picked up this http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5050MLS&name=Spikes+Tactical+14.5%22+Lightweight+5.56%2f.2 23+Upper+Receiver&groupid=301&search=spikes a month ago. Out of stock now but a solid buy for $540. I think the next batch will come with Dynacomps instead of the Vortex.

Good luck. Don't forget to save some money for optics, BUIS, etc.

DCMONSTER27
05-03-2011, 2:23 PM
What do you think a good upper is for me?