PDA

View Full Version : GUN SAFES

jimbos44
05-01-2011, 8:48 AM
I'm sure i'm in the srong place, but more people here than there. Going to get a gun safe. Tractor Supply sell a cannon and a winchester for $699. cannon internal hinge, winchester external. If you go to the TS website, you can see all the features, Let me know which one you would pick. Or do you know of a better one for around same price. With 5 handguns and seven long guns,lliving in west sac, dogs not enough, time for a safe ! thank you in advance for your opinions, JIM :chris:

707electrician
05-01-2011, 8:51 AM
Costco has a cannon safe for $569 I believe

Steve1968LS2
05-01-2011, 8:56 AM
Either would be great for keeping out kids and general riff-raff.. none of the three would stop a pro thief with enough time.

Pick the one that has the most room and the best fire rating.. bolt it to the floor in a confined space to make it hard to "work on it"..

So right now you have 11 weapons and no safe? How the hell are you securing them?

X-NewYawker
05-01-2011, 8:56 AM
Get a Cannon. Get it from Costco if they have the model you want. Please remember that all "Hold X number guns" figures are basically cut in half if your guns are SCOPED or weird AR types. Always get the size up from the one you think you need -- you will fill it!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Delivery-email.jpg

And the delivery guys (or YOU) MUST MUST MUST Bolt it to the floor. Any schmuck with a refrigerator dolly and walk off with your fully laden safe.

Cannon is showing me and the other media their new line out in San Bernardino starting Wednesday. I will report if there is anything extremely cool.

mceod
05-01-2011, 10:12 AM
With 5 handguns and seven long guns,lliving in west sac, dogs not enough, time for a safe ! thank you in advance for your opinions, JIM :chris:

So right now you have 11 weapons and no safe? How the hell are you securing them?

:kest:

esskay
05-01-2011, 10:33 AM
There's a subforum covering safes with a lot of posts/recommendations/etc here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=74

jimbos44
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
guns in closet, 4 dogs . That why I'm looking for a safe ! :o

NorCalK9.com
05-01-2011, 3:42 PM
haha Costco is a decent safe. As for dags haha 4 dogs n your worried maybe you should switch dogs just kidding.

Rudolf the Red
05-01-2011, 3:46 PM
My entire safe was carried out of my house 8 years ago.

Bolt it down.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
05-01-2011, 3:51 PM
I agree with go one size larger. We just bought a 10 gun sentry, and it barely holds my collection. If you have good insurance (to cover fire damage)The Home Depot off Truxel has the 14 long gun Sentry non fire safe in stock. 399 + tax.

Us3rName
05-01-2011, 3:55 PM
Please make sure to bolt down the safe(s). It is retarded not doing so. Even a small safe should be secured to something. My safe is bolted down and to the wall. I also have one in the garage bolted to the floor with a chain added to an anchor point on the ground. Safes are pointless if not secured. I've heard too many horrid stories of safes walking off.

WDE91
05-01-2011, 3:55 PM
remember that there are people who are professional at stealing things
they know strength and speed

If you dont bolt down your safe it mine as well be a TO GO BAG with thousands of dollars worth of deadly gear in the wrong hands

when you buy a safe you want bigger,stronger,and heavier

ihorn
05-01-2011, 4:55 PM
What about for those of us who live in apartments and cant bolt anything down?

JockItch
05-01-2011, 5:05 PM
If you live in apartments and have carpet. You can run a few lag bolts down. Just don't use to big of bolts 3/8 or 1/2. 4 or 5 bolts will secure it fine.

rareair
05-01-2011, 5:10 PM
First, Don't bolt down your safe---ANCHOR it down on a solid foundation

X3 on getting a larger safe than what you think you need. Besides a safe storage place for firearms, any documents of importance (passports, birth certificates etc...) should be kept inside a safe. Also cash & jewelry etc....

ihorn
05-01-2011, 5:33 PM
If you live in apartments and have carpet. You can run a few lag bolts down. Just don't use to big of bolts 3/8 or 1/2. 4 or 5 bolts will secure it fine.

I dont know if the owner would like that.

Would a storage locker small enough to fit a safe be a good idea?

rdmmdr
05-01-2011, 5:50 PM
my safe loaded weighs in at about 900 lbs, most burgleries are one or two man smash grabs. Unless they know that you have a safe and a professional crew it is not going anywhere. leaving the safe in the garage just advertises that you have guns any time the door is open. A safe and an alarm is the way to go. Buy your alarm outright, they are easy to install. adt and the like think the are selling cable, you can find a good monitoring company for less then 10$ a month online.
rick

EasyE
05-01-2011, 6:46 PM
What about for those of us who live in apartments and cant bolt anything down?

I am in the same boat. Also, I am on the second floor. I moved into this palce that has brand new carpet. I think the owner would not be happy to see holes in the carpet/floor.

I dont know if the owner would like that.

Would a storage locker small enough to fit a safe be a good idea?

I don't understand what you're trying to do here.

jimbos44
05-01-2011, 8:44 PM
oops! 12, not 11 guns. forgot about ruger old army. that's why I was looking for a 22-24 gun safe. Winchester looks good, 12 locking bolts on all 4 sides. It's made by granite. Anybody heard of them?

chad68
05-01-2011, 9:18 PM
I'm sure i'm in the srong place, but more people here than there. Going to get a gun safe. Tractor Supply sell a cannon and a winchester for $699. cannon internal hinge, winchester external. If you go to the TS website, you can see all the features, Let me know which one you would pick. Or do you know of a better one for around same price. With 5 handguns and seven long guns,lliving in west sac, dogs not enough, time for a safe ! thank you in advance for your opinions, JIM :chris:

Since you live in Sac, I would just go to Liberty Safes in Sac and see what they got if you haven't already gone there already. They normally discount some if not all of their floor/display models, which is how and where I bought mine. But whatever you do buy one bigger than you you need. I wish i had.

Tac380
05-01-2011, 9:21 PM
FYI
I agree you should BOLT it down BUT if you do you will lose the fire rating because you have broken the fire seal by drilling through it. Most people do not realize this.

Us3rName
05-01-2011, 9:37 PM
I think you'd lose the fire rating to an extent but for the most part will still be "fire resistant". Avoid "lockers" or metal cabinets as they offer no protection or safe guarding capabilities what so ever. You can take a pair of sheers and cut fairly thick metal. (1/8" - 1/4"). Also weight is a plus but normally can still be wheeled off. The safe may weight in 900lbs total. That's dead weight. Hammer in a nice furniture dolly. and it takes a fraction of that to tip it on its edge.

hi1maj
05-01-2011, 9:39 PM
buy the biggest safe you can afford, seems like every thread about safes, people say that. I thought it was just mumbo jumbo until i got my safe home. I bought a big 35 gun safe, or atleast thats what it's advertised to be. The safe is really big in size, looks massive but even with the really small gun collection i have it already feels small with ammo, guns, accessories in it.

chad68
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I find it seems if they advertise x amount of guns that will fit, divide that number by about 4 and that will give you a more real world number of rifles you can hopefully stuff into a safe.

Dhena81
05-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Don't put ammo in your safe unless you want a bomb to go off especially if you have a fire seal to help pressurize the safe when it senses heat. For ammo I would get a dedicated locking locker if you want to keep kids hands off. If you drill holes where there weren't holes before buy some fire cocking you can get it at home depot. If you need to wall mount try and hit as many studs as you can if you can't hit all studs then use toggle bolts were you can't.

I personally think the best safe as far a Security goes without breaking the bank is the Amsec BF series 1/2" steel and they don't use sheet rock for fire insulation. If it doesn't at least have a RSC rating your wasting your money as far as a false sense of security goes. Lots of safes have misleading fire ratings too like anything you can spend tons of money on these things. Some safes look really pretty like fort knox or browning but offer only decent security unless you buy one of there $6-$10k safes.

Here's some good reads for the novice safe buyer
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_1_49/ai_94765136/

jimbos44
05-02-2011, 6:38 AM
25 posts later, I guess my question is does anyone know about the TS-22-11 winchester gun safe at tractor supply ? :confused:

X-NewYawker
05-02-2011, 9:54 AM
FYI
I agree you should BOLT it down BUT if you do you will lose the fire rating because you have broken the fire seal by drilling through it. Most people do not realize this.

The cannon safes and Sun Welding and others I have bought have holes drilled under their carpeted interiors for floor bolting. You should NOT have to drill holes in your safe. If you safe doesn't have provisions already for bolting -- don't buy it!

If you live in an apartment you could replace a closet door with an actual METAL DOOR and make the closet a safe. Look into that as well.

Gary13
05-02-2011, 10:29 AM
25 posts later, I guess my question is does anyone know about the TS-22-11 winchester gun safe at tractor supply ? :confused:

My local TS has one and it appears to be a nice safe, and I would buy it over the Cannon, but that is just my opinion since I don't like internal hinges and the Winchester looked to be made well and had nice options for handgun storage.

Good reviews on TS website:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/safes/winchester-reg-gun-safe-1043297

The one I saw at TS had bolts all around and this on the inside of the door:

http://winchestersafes.com/new2011.aspx

This seems to be the same unit, but heavier duty with longer fire protection.

http://winchestersafes.com/Silverado22-GraniteGloss.aspx

Perhaps the TS unit is built specifically for them. I wish I had space for this one.