PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! Bad day at the range

GW
04-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Took my new Taurus PT1911 to the range today and it shot like crap
All over the place--15 inch group at 15 yards A rest did little to tighten it up.
Very frustrating
THEN I break out my Wilson only to discover that while it is shooting a nice tight group, that group is about 4 inches to the left of my POA!
That's when I discovered that my newly installed front sight was not centered at all but drifted off to the right.
At least the TRP shot well. I had 2 kids watching me from behind on what I'm pretty sure was their 1st day at the range. I told them to ask their old man if they could shoot my TRP and gave 'em each a magazine.
The smiles made it worth the trip.

BayAreaShooter
04-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Took my new Taurus PT1911 to the range today and it shot like crap
All over the place--15 inch group at 15 yards A rest did little to tighten it up.
Very frustrating
THEN I break out my Wilson only to discover that while it is shooting a nice tight group, that group is about 4 inches to the left of my POA!
That's when I discovered that my newly installed front sight was not centered at all but drifted off to the right.
At least the TRP shot well. I had 2 kids watching me from behind on what I'm pretty sure was their 1st day at the range. I told them to ask their old man if they could shoot my TRP and gave 'em each a magazine.
The smiles made it worth the trip.

I know how that goes. I had a few bad range trips in a row a few months ago. Everything seemed to go wrong. I would just pack up early. I have been having great shooting sessions for the last few months. Very relaxing. :D

Midian
04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
I have a PT1911 as well, and I shoot that thing like Godzilla. Wonderful gun. The most affordable piece in my stable, and it shoots like a dream. Everyone that shoots it loves it.

I had a good day at the range today at A Place To Shoot. But I feel your pain..a bad range day is just plain ugly.

Joe
04-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Man that Taurus sounds like a piece of crap. You should sell it to me for a really great price:p

Lumpia is sarap!
05-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Good man!

berg
05-01-2011, 8:04 AM
Doesn't Taurus give a lifetime warranty on their guns?

MrOrange
05-01-2011, 9:41 AM
Holy-moly! That's the old rule of thumb for buckshot spread out of a shotgun, 1" of spread for every 1 yard of distance.

I think I'd be sending that one back to the factory.

bsg
05-01-2011, 11:14 AM
my last trip to the range told me to consider armchair sports as a hobby.

TKM
05-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Yesterday was my first time with my X5.

Apparently the universe balances such things out.

Sorry 'bout that.

GW
05-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Doesn't Taurus give a lifetime warranty on their guns?

Oh yeah they do but it just pisses me off that it should be so bad right out of the box.
I guess into every life a few lemons must fall.

Full Clip
05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
The worst day at the range is still better than the best day at work (barring a catastrophic failure)!

Write Winger
05-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Having a bad day at the range is like having a bad night of sex... at least you're still having it!