PDA

View Full Version : RIA MATCH RANGE REPORT...needing help

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:44 PM
Shot: 250 rounds of fmj .45acp (Wally World Federal) and 100 rounds of jhp .45acp (WW Remington UMC) through the Rock Island Armory FS Match 1911.

60 rounds through the 870

100 rounds through the Ruger 10/22 lr.

The range report will be focused on the RIA Match.

*Disclaimer* I read these forums like crazy and have learned a lot but obviously need to keep researching and learning so please cut me some slack for certain ignorance's.

I don't know the terminology but these are some of the things that happened to me:

(Using 1 factory mag and 1 8 round Chip McCormick mag)

*Not sure how much was caused by operator error*

1. When releasing the slide it occasionally got caught on the bullet and would not progress forward. (so I tried racking it hard hoping it would feed but didn't.)

2. Often it was jamming on the last round more so with the CM mags :confused: the round would be chambered but the slide would not progress all the way forward. I couldn't figure what it was getting caught on. (so I just opened the action and would turn the gun upside down to drop the bullet out. *more so with the fmj than with the jhp.

A lil bummed hearing how many people have had 100's and 1000's of rounds through their RIA's without problems...but at the same time thinking it could be due to operator error. Curious to see what you guys think.

Overall I did enjoy the gun and really was able to figure out some things I was doing wrong which increased my accuracy. Here are some pics:

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/FF4C/IMAG0160.jpg

just so you know I have my flame suit on

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:45 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/FF4C/IMAG0164.jpg

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:46 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/FF4C/IMAG0162.jpg

What's going on here^^^^^^^^^ DISCOLORING^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

supermario
04-30-2011, 8:48 PM
Just curious but how much jamming did it do with the RIA magazine? Did you lube it before shooting?

760knox
04-30-2011, 8:49 PM
Your break-in period....

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:50 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/FF4C/IMAG0165.jpg

5 yards 16rounds JHP 2" group

Joe
04-30-2011, 8:52 PM
The picture link needs to have [IMG] surrounding it.

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:52 PM
Just curious but how much jamming did it do with the RIA magazine? Did you lube it before shooting?

I stripped the gun cleaned and oiled it. Are you asking me if I lubed the Mag? Actually the RIA mag had only a few jams, but the CM was jamming quite often. Strange huh

Joe
04-30-2011, 8:53 PM
On photo bucket just click the link that is for forums and paste it here. Nothing else needs to be done.

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:56 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/FF4C/IMAG0167.jpg

7 yds 16r JHP 3" group

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:57 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/FF4C/IMAG0168.jpg

10yds 8r JHP 3.5" group

JanG
05-01-2011, 2:34 AM
i usually spray a shot of brake clean or gun scrubber down the extractor groove when i'm cleaning my ria, especially after extended range sessions. also, a drop of lube down the extractor helps sometimes.

or maybe you just need to shoot it more. was it jamming with hp and fmj? could just mean more break in time.

redcliff
05-01-2011, 3:22 AM
First off, hello everyone. I'm new here, yet a lot of you have already helped me out a ton. Thanks.

So... I'm also a total newb to guns. I have however caught the bug. I'm addicted. Why did this take so long?

Anyways now that you know I'm green as grass when it comes to shooting. I just went to Insight in Artesia today to fire my newly acquired 1911, 870, and 10/22 lr for the 1st time. That's right de-virginized! And um...had a blast. So did the wife.

Shot: 250 rounds of fmj .45acp (Wally World Federal) and 100 rounds of jhp .45acp (WW Remington UMC) through the Rock Island Armory FS Match 1911.

60 rounds through the 870

100 rounds through the Ruger 10/22 lr.

The range report will be focused on the RIA Match.

*Disclaimer* I read these forums like crazy and have learned a lot but obviously need to keep researching and learning so please cut me some slack for certain ignorance's.

I don't know the terminology but these are some of the things that happened to me:

(Using 1 factory mag and 1 8 round Chip McCormick mag)

*Not sure how much was caused by operator error*

1. When releasing the slide it occasionally got caught on the bullet and would not progress forward. (so I tried racking it hard hoping it would feed but didn't.)

2. Often it was jamming on the last round more so with the CM mags :confused: the round would be chambered but the slide would not progress all the way forward. I couldn't figure what it was getting caught on. (so I just opened the action and would turn the gun upside down to drop the bullet out. *more so with the fmj than with the jhp.

A lil bummed hearing how many people have had 100's and 1000's of rounds through their RIA's without problems...but at the same time thinking it could be due to operator error. Curious to see what you guys think.

Overall I did enjoy the gun and really was able to figure out some things I was doing wrong which increased my accuracy. Here are some pics:

just so you know I have my flame suit on

Problem 1 sounds like either too much extractor tension or a magazine catch that is sloppy and/or not holding the magazine up high enough in the proper position which has been a problem on a few RIA's. The fact that you can retract the slide with the pistol upside down and have the cartridge fall out makes me think the cartridge rim is in front of the extractor instead of feeding up between the extractor hook and breach face.

Problem 2 sounds like too much extractor tension or a magazine with too weak of a spring, or possibly limp-wristing or under lubrication. It sounds like you're getting an inertial feed of the last round where mag spring pressure is lowest and the round is moving forward in the magazine under recoil before the breachface contacts the rear of the case and can feed the round properly underneath the extractor.

For information on extractor tuning go here: http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm If you're going to be a 1911 shooter, do learn how to tune an extractor; its fast and easy and makes a world of difference in getting your pistol to run properly.

Be sure that your 1911 is properly lubricated. When lubricating in the field without disassembly lubrication needs to be put on the frame rail/slide channels, bottom of the slide where the disconnector and hammer contact it, front end of the barrel where the bushing contacts it, and, often overlooked, the top of the barrel in the ejection port area as the slide rubs there as the barrel links down.

If tuning the extractor tension and proper lubrication doesnt fix it I'd contact RIA for warranty work; I hear they have good customer service.

corvetteguy
05-01-2011, 4:57 AM
Your match is fitted extremely tight and will take a little break-in. Try the above recommendations and also some different mags. Not every 1911 likes every 1911 mag. The discoloring you are seeing behind the ejection port is brass marks being left as the gun ejects the spent casing. The fact that they are hitting so high and there are so many marks leads me to think that the extractor is too tight. Do the tune on it and use some Hoppe's or similar to clean the marks and you should be set.

Have Fun!

David

furfam4
05-01-2011, 5:19 AM
Problem 1 sounds like either too much extractor tension or a magazine catch that is sloppy and/or not holding the magazine up high enough in the proper position which has been a problem on a few RIA's. The fact that you can retract the slide with the pistol upside down and have the cartridge fall out makes me think the cartridge rim is in front of the extractor instead of feeding up between the extractor hook and breach face.

Problem 2 sounds like too much extractor tension or a magazine with too weak of a spring, or possibly limp-wristing or under lubrication. It sounds like you're getting an inertial feed of the last round where mag spring pressure is lowest and the round is moving forward in the magazine under recoil before the breachface contacts the rear of the case and can feed the round properly underneath the extractor.

For information on extractor tuning go here: http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm If you're going to be a 1911 shooter, do learn how to tune an extractor; its fast and easy and makes a world of difference in getting your pistol to run properly.

Be sure that your 1911 is properly lubricated. When lubricating in the field without disassembly lubrication needs to be put on the frame rail/slide channels, bottom of the slide where the disconnector and hammer contact it, front end of the barrel where the bushing contacts it, and, often overlooked, the top of the barrel in the ejection port area as the slide rubs there as the barrel links down.

If tuning the extractor tension and proper lubrication doesnt fix it I'd contact RIA for warranty work; I hear they have good customer service.

thanks for the link will look into that

Jan G - It was jamming more with fmj, maybe a couple times with the jhp

Corvetteguy- thanks I'm going to go get a few more mags for it. Going to see how it like the Wilson Combat.

? for everyone. I used the CLP you get from Wally World to clean the gun and cleaned it post range. The CLP didn't take those brass marks off. I see Corvetteguy mentioned using Hoppe's. Am I using a decent product to clean my gun? I've used Hoppe's gun oil to lube everything after cleaning. I just want to make sure I'm using good stuff to get the job done.

furfam4
05-01-2011, 5:42 AM
The fact that you can retract the slide with the pistol upside down and have the cartridge fall out makes me think the cartridge rim is in front of the extractor instead of feeding up between the extractor hook and breach face.

After reading this again I don't think I properly explained problem 2.

This jam was not after the last spent casing. It would jam before being able to fire the last bullet. So I was getting 1 less shot everytime it jammed. The bullet was in the chamber but the slide would not progress all the way forward. I was :confused: on why not. Was the ejection port catching on the barrel somehow?

I was looking at the link for extractor tuning tips and can tell I'm going to reread that about a zillion times :eek: to try and figure out what the heck their talking about. I guess it comes with being GREEN:D

MongooseV8
05-01-2011, 6:19 AM
I had the same problem with my RIA GI. Some rounds would feed half way into the chamber and the slide didnt fully close. My problem was the ammo I was using didnt have enough of a taper crimp to fit into the tight chamber.

Bill Steele
05-01-2011, 8:01 AM
Exceptional shooting for a newcomer. I see a lot of first timers at the range and many have trouble keeping it on the paper at 7 yds.

You will get the failures diagnosed, just stick with it. I'd say you are a natural.

blood ()f the Lamb
05-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Exceptional shooting for a newcomer. I see a lot of first timers at the range and many have trouble keeping it on the paper at 7 yds.

You will get the failures diagnosed, just stick with it. I'd say you are a natural.

Thank you. I was pretty happy. It probably took me 3 x as long as most people I will say I wasn't just popping rounds off. I was taking my time. My goal is to be accurate

furfam4
05-01-2011, 2:07 PM
^^^^ that last post was me btw. I forgot my password when I was at work one day and created a new ID on my phone.

biker777
05-01-2011, 4:11 PM
Sorry you are having some issues with your new Match, I took mine out a ran a few hundred rds. through it and it was as sweet as it could be..I have 4 Act Mags ( same as come with the RIA) and every one fed perfect, I shot JHP, FMJ, of all brands and loads.. (since I have several other 45's I have lots of diff. ammo..)

anyway I was lucky because mine was as accurate as it could be (with me shooting) and all the mags fed everything perfectly..
no worries at all..

yours is just in need of a little more breaking in , it will get better

GWbiker
05-01-2011, 6:20 PM
I have two RIA GI spec in .45acp. My suggestion for your new RIA, clean and light lube with light grade Slide Glide or TRW25b GREASE, slide and frame rails, plus both inside and outside barrel bushing.

Your RIA is still tight and needs break in.

Light weight grease instead of oil on frame/slide areas.

Ultimate
05-01-2011, 6:36 PM
#1 sounds like the round was diving because of the weak spring. On a mag the spring will be at its weakest on the last round since all the tension of additional rounds isn't there.

#2 sounds like the extractor was not grabbing the round which could be a side effect of #1 since the round is supposed to slide into the extractor groove. If the round dives into the feed ramp the rim will be lifted and it will not slide under the ejector groove.

A quick on the moment correction to fire the round would be to keep ur finger out of the trigger guard and smack the rear of the slide which would cause the extractor to go over the round.

Fix #1 and sounds like you will be good to go! :D

k1dude
05-01-2011, 6:45 PM
Perhaps the Match has tighter tolerances than the Tactical. If so, it probably needs some breaking in before it becomes 100% reliable.

Every 1911 is an individual. Some like certain mags and hate other mags. My Tactical works flawlessly with ACT, MEC-GAR, and McCormick mags. But it absolutely HATES Wilson mags. What works for mine might not work with someone else's. Sometimes you just have to figure out which mags your individual weapon likes.

furfam4
05-01-2011, 7:42 PM
i looked at the extractor tune up link again, and I've gotta say it over my head.

My ACT mag did seem to work far better than the CM. I agree that it could be the spring, but am also wondering if it had something to do with the follower? The ACT mag's follower cannot be manipulated forward while at the top however the CM can. Do you think this may have happened? If the CM follower was slighty forward out the mag at the top (last round) could that cause the last bullet to misfeed or cause the slide to lock up on something not allowing it to go forward?

I'm going to the range tomorrow so I'll try some of the advice given here.

Ultimate
05-01-2011, 8:12 PM
i looked at the extractor tune up link again, and I've gotta say it over my head.

My ACT mag did seem to work far better than the CM. I agree that it could be the spring, but am also wondering if it had something to do with the follower? The ACT mag's follower cannot be manipulated forward while at the top however the CM can. Do you think this may have happened? If the CM follower was slighty forward out the mag at the top (last round) could that cause the last bullet to misfeed or cause the slide to lock up on something not allowing it to go forward?

I'm going to the range tomorrow so I'll try some of the advice given here.

Yes that is exactly what i said is probably happening. The round is diving.

The weak magazine spring coupled with a tilting follower in a round with a considerable weight on its nose , .45 ACP.

furfam4
05-01-2011, 8:34 PM
Yes that is exactly what i said is probably happening. The round is diving.

The weak magazine spring coupled with a tilting follower in a round with a considerable weight on its nose , .45 ACP.

so defected mag right?

can you return mags?

supertrooper
05-02-2011, 7:39 AM
RIAs and most other 1911s need a break-in of a few hundred rounds. the round nose diving into the feed ramp usually goes away after break-in and polishing the feed ramp. i hate the factory mags and only use wilson. the follower in chip mags would slid forward after the last round and get stuck on the feed ramp and be a PITA to remove. the got dots on the top of the slide are from the brass hitting it as its being ejected.

Phat Man Mike
05-02-2011, 3:03 PM
I'd clean the weapon really good and read how to tune the extractor. I use lucas oil on my RIA to the point that it's almost dripping off the side of the slide. some hoppes will take the marks off the slide with some elbow grease used. nice shooting too. enjoy and remember to shoot often and take plenty of ammo. :D

furfam4
05-02-2011, 4:00 PM
So 2nd time to the range today. Shot about 200 rounds with not one problem. And I gotta say I LOVE this gun! I read somewhere to use 3X5 cards instead of wasting $ on targets and I had a bunch left over from paramedic school so that is what I used today at 5yd, 7yd, 10yd, 11yd.http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/FF4C/IMAG0170.jpg

I gotta say either this thing is REALLY accurate or I'm a decent rookie shooter. I'm pretty stoked.

ElvenSoul
05-02-2011, 4:12 PM
Great Shooting!

ElvenSoul
05-02-2011, 4:13 PM
Let's make this a sticky for new 1911 Owners!

rogervzv
05-02-2011, 4:54 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/FF4C/IMAG0165.jpg

5 yards 16rounds JHP 2" group

+1 Nice shooting!

rodeoflyer
05-02-2011, 4:57 PM
New 1911's are like 5th base. They require plenty of lube and some breaking in before you shoot well.

Somebody's new sig line in 5....4....3...

furfam4
05-02-2011, 5:02 PM
thanks guys.

So I'm cleaning it right now and checked out the extractor as the link suggest above. My extractor seems perfect so either it was Mag issues or like as mentioned above she's just in the break in period.

thumbs up for Rock Island Armory!

gratefuldog
05-02-2011, 5:17 PM
I have a RIA MS (4 1/4" barrel) model. Initially, I had frequent FTF problems. I was told that polishing the load ramp would help. It did. There were noticeable tool marks in the ramp initially, but I worked them out with increasingly finer grades of emery cloth. Works great now!

BTW: Nice Shootin'!

AeroEngi
05-02-2011, 5:27 PM
Next time, when you take it out to the range and the slide doesn't fully engage like you said, check to see if the extractor has grabbed the rim of the case before you take the round out of the chamber. I feel that redcliff is correct on this one. Your extractor spring may be putting too much force on the extractor and not letting it grab the rim of the case as the slide moves forward.