View Full Version : Bolt action for new shooter

04-30-2011, 4:47 PM
Need some Ideas for a bolt action 22 for my step son who is just starting to get in to shooting. Maybe thinking about a Savage since they are not bad in price.

04-30-2011, 4:52 PM
How old and how big is he?

04-30-2011, 5:03 PM
The Savage MKll is a good value. It has a good selection of models to chose from. Also Marlin has a new bolt action line. The brand name companies all produce good accurate rimfire rifles. Look for one that is not to front heavy for youngsters and I like tube fed so the mag doesn't get lost or left behind.
I would also look at lever action Henrys. :)

04-30-2011, 5:27 PM
Marlin 925 is what I got my 12 year old son. He is a big boy though. 5-8 at last measurement.

04-30-2011, 5:41 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either a Savage or Marlin. I'd just get the cheaper of the two. As you know, when one first starts, all the bells and whistles won't really matter so. What matters is that the rifle is reliable and simple to use.

I think you did good in looking at bolt action guns.

04-30-2011, 5:57 PM
A 925 Marlin is a good choice if you can find one. I have the 925M (22 WMR) and its a good shooter out to 125yds but ammo is on the high side. Marlin has a new line of .22s coming out as one other poster said. I think they are due out this May. The new line of Marlins appear to have the same action and barrel as the old but with a new trigger similar to the Savage Accutrigger. The micro-grove barrel on the Marlins tend to be very accurate. Good luck on your choice.

04-30-2011, 6:35 PM
A CZ 452 would be a life time keeper that your son will appreciate for years to come.

04-30-2011, 7:31 PM
A CZ 452 would be a life time keeper that your son will appreciate for years to come.

Twice the price of a Marlin bolt gun, but man are the CZs nice. As FlyingPT says, its a firearm for a lifetime. I have the UltrLux and will be buried with it.

04-30-2011, 8:58 PM
Thanks for all the help. I will have him start handguns with a ruger single six and a bolt rifle. I thinks he wants to shoot my Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22. I dont want him getting bad habits of shoot auto a first. I started out with a Dan Wesson 22 revoler and old Winchester pump 22.

04-30-2011, 9:35 PM
+1 on a Marlin 925.

05-01-2011, 3:00 AM
Marlin 981t. Tube fed 17 rounds LR, IMO a lot easier than loading box magazines and you get a lot more rounds per reload. One of my favorite .22s

05-01-2011, 5:31 AM
I dont want him getting bad habits of shoot auto a first.We also want younger folks to get the "bad habit" of shooting. When my son was young and just starting people made it sound like that if he shot semi autos he would be ruined. His nickname at one range we went to often was Lil Rambo. The thing is all kids are not the same some will take to bolt rifles and some to semi auto. The important thing is they are safe and have fun. Rimfire is affordable for a reason. Today we are competing with good video games in every home and a full slate of activities at school so do what keeps them having fun and coming back. Do some semi auto and bolt its all good. :D

05-01-2011, 7:15 AM
+1 on the CZ...but having raised 3 sons...i also understand the financial restraints and such that accompany...

good luck and I'm sure you'll come to the right decision for all concerned for all the right reasons.

05-01-2011, 7:42 AM
That Lil Rambo comment made me laugh... One thing for sure, if you go with a semi and a kid to the range, your cost of ammo is bound to increase logarithmically over the cost of feeding a bolt. Bolts have the "cool" factor, semis are just plain fun to shoot.

One comment on the Marlin 795 and the Marlin 925, the mags are a bear to load, so get the baby uplula if you go that route. The Marlin 781SS is a nice little bolt gun too.

05-01-2011, 7:52 AM
your son will tend to gravitate tward what ever you shoot. and your shooting style. if he sees you consentrate on each shot, he will most likely follow. my sons when they were young were on the small side. I had a Marlin60 and even at 12 they didnt have the arm strength to hold it up for a off hand shot.So I bought them a chipmunk. they shot that for awhile but still wanted a rifle like dads. then I found a marlin papoose. its short, lightweight, magasine fed, so the weight is between the hands. it came with 4 and 7 round mags. now the grand kids are shooting it. DR

05-01-2011, 6:22 PM
i would go any model savage as long as it has a varmint barrel.

05-01-2011, 6:58 PM
Well my 10/22 is out. I had to put a scope on it. My mom a few years back did not tell me my rear sight screws were getting loose and they fell out on her and I lost the rear sight blade. I emailed Ruger to see if I could get a sight blade and screws. But my 10/22 is about 15 years old and they no longer make that style any more. So I had to ethier take it to a gun smith and have the update sight installed or put a scope on it. It was cheaper to put the scope on it. I think kids should learn to shoot with open sights first.

rubber duckie
05-01-2011, 9:05 PM
I think kids should learn to shoot with open sights first.

you mean EVERYONE should learn to use sights before optics