PDA

View Full Version : Adams Arms Piston Upper

ericneth63
04-30-2011, 4:09 PM
I am looking at purchasing another upper for my AR and I want a gas piston system. After some research it looks like Adams is reasonably priced. I know LMT and LWRC have great piston systems but they are pricey. Anyone have any feedback on the Adams piston uppers? Thanks in advance.

Droppin Deuces
04-30-2011, 4:12 PM
They work and perform flawlessly. Do it. You won't regret it.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/doghair/IMG_2701BW.jpg

manuelcardenas77
04-30-2011, 4:18 PM
Do it my brother put one of the piston kits on his AR it runs flawlessly!!!!

Don29palms
04-30-2011, 4:21 PM
I have a middy I built using an Adams Arms conversion and it works great.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/don29palms/GPUEDIT1.jpg

FeuerFrei
04-30-2011, 5:24 PM
:popcorn:

I'm just waiting for the DI is best and GP sucks people to chime it and give a little rant.

I run AA kits on AR pistols and they run GREAT! :43:

rattlesnake_nm
04-30-2011, 5:30 PM
I just wonder why everyone says they "built" their ar15, when all they did was ASSEMBLE it?

Droppin Deuces
04-30-2011, 5:42 PM
I just wonder why everyone says they "built" their ar15, when all they did was ASSEMBLE it?

Don't deprive dudes of a little glory, man. You wouldn't do that do a little kid playing with Legos, would you?

RonPogi
04-30-2011, 5:58 PM
Assemble = one whole KIT (one brand), BUILT = Different parts Different brand name lol!! as far as I know.... :D

5thgen4runner
04-30-2011, 7:46 PM
here's my adams just finished it last weeks runs perfect love it!!!! oh yea stag lower.!

ta2dfreak
04-30-2011, 8:03 PM
I can't add any info as I'm on my first build/assembly project. But I've seen on Brownell's website a gas piston conversion kit for a DI system. Just wondering if anyone has use a kit like this. It appears that you do not need to purchase a new upper receiver

1lowluv
04-30-2011, 8:07 PM
I'm hoping to find one at the gun show this weekend

rattlesnake_nm
04-30-2011, 8:11 PM
I can't add any info as I'm on my first build/assembly project. But I've seen on Brownell's website a gas piston conversion kit for a DI system. Just wondering if anyone has use a kit like this. It appears that you do not need to purchase a new upper receiver

Osprey defense is the end all when it comes to retrofits. Some will argue the adams. You do not have to buy an entire upper to go gp, just buy once cry once, osprey ops-416, or adams. I prefer osprey, because I am not stuck with a certain gas block. But then rail options are limited to midwest industries. I like MI stuff anyway. Magpul handguards work with a small mod to the heat sheild. Watch the adams vids, and watch the osprey vids. They are both great systems.

ta2dfreak
04-30-2011, 8:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check 'em both out. Any problems with different barrel OD's when mounting the gas block?

rattlesnake_nm
04-30-2011, 8:21 PM
Good question. I haven't used the adams. The osprey just replaces the gas tube, and bolt carrier.

1911su16b870
04-30-2011, 8:30 PM
I have a carbine length AA conversion. I wasn't able to make it work with a JD upper receiver so I bought the AA upper receiver and haven't looked back. It runs like the energizer bunny!

1lowluv
04-30-2011, 8:33 PM
I have a carbine length AA conversion. I wasn't able to make it work with a JD upper receiver so I bought the AA upper receiver and haven't looked back. It runs like the energizer bunny!

I have a Jd upper and wanted to buy this kit, what was the difference in the uppers

Droppin Deuces
04-30-2011, 8:36 PM
I have a Jd upper and wanted to buy this kit, what was the difference in the uppers

If I remember correctly, there's a bushing you have to install in the gas tube port on the front of the receiver. The Adams Arms receivers come with the proper size hole. That's the only difference.

BHPFan
04-30-2011, 9:48 PM
I am looking at purchasing another upper for my AR and I want a gas piston system. After some research it looks like Adams is reasonably priced. I know LMT and LWRC have great piston systems but they are pricey. Anyone have any feedback on the Adams piston uppers? Thanks in advance.

If you want a GPU AR, get the complete upper, not the retrofit piston kit. At least with the upper, AA has put the parts together so it fails, you can always have AA fix it and get it to work.

How good is AA, let's put it this way: Except for POF, Addax, PWS, LWRC, HK, Bushy and LMT, most other brands either use AA GP system or use something based on it.

kozumasbullitt
04-30-2011, 9:55 PM

When you build a house what do you do? I am pretty sure most contractors don't make the actual wood they use to build or in your words assemble a house.

Droppin Deuces
04-30-2011, 10:01 PM
When you build a house what do you do? I am pretty sure most contractors don't make the actual wood they use to build or in your words assemble a house.

When you build a house, you have to cut all the components to size in order to complete your design. Not so with an AR build...er..assembly. When you put an AR together, you're just assembling pre-existing parts.
I think anyone who actually machines their own receivers and barrels can truly be considered "builders" or AR's.

kozumasbullitt
04-30-2011, 10:33 PM
When you build a house, you have to cut all the components to size in order to complete your design. Not so with an AR build...er..assembly. When you put an AR together, you're just assembling pre-existing parts.
I think anyone who actually machines their own receivers and barrels can truly be considered "builders" or AR's.

An engine builder assembles an engine from pre made components as does an AR builder.

Build-
1.*to construct 2.*to form 3.*to establish

Construct-
1.*to build by putting parts together

End of argument.

Droppin Deuces
04-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Whatever makes you feel more accomplished.

assemble [əˈsɛmbəl]
vb
1. to come or bring together; collect or congregate
2. to fit or join together (the parts of something, such as a machine) to assemble the parts of a kit.

wash
04-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Some people here do more than assemble. My latest project has almost every piece customized by me in some way.

It also has an Adams Arms gas piston system. So far it looks nice but I can't tell you how it runs (I'm not there yet) but the gas block is kind of heavy.

MrPlink
05-01-2011, 12:00 AM

my latest has a lower that I milled out myself, does that count?

ericneth63
05-01-2011, 12:17 AM
If you want a GPU AR, get the complete upper, not the retrofit piston kit. At least with the upper, AA has put the parts together so it fails, you can always have AA fix it and get it to work.

How good is AA, let's put it this way: Except for POF, Addax, PWS, LWRC, HK, Bushy and LMT, most other brands either use AA GP system or use something based on it.

My intention is to purchase the complete AA upper and not convert my current GI upper. I was just looking to upgrade to a piston system actually I looked at the Ferfrans ($1500 for just the upper) upper but i noticed they used the AA gas system. Thanks for the info...

rattlesnake_nm
05-01-2011, 6:31 AM
my latest has a lower that I milled out myself, does that count?

Sure. I'd rather see this than the same old gp vs di bullcrap. My intention was not to hijack the thread at all. I kind of did create a diversion though, and I apologize. I like the subject of gas pistons. It is my belief if osprey had a similar marketing team as adams, more would be using osprey. They do have their site, with the torture videos, but they didn't make everyone and their mom dealers like adams did, and that is why adams is the most used retrofit. You have to use the adams gas block, and there is an unnecessary spring. The osprey uses Your existing gas block, and can quickly be converted right back to di without changing gas blocks. Any local shop here in Albuquerque had adams conversions sitting on the shelves, but I have never seen an osprey. I had to order online to get the kits. I have over 14,000 round through a 5.45x39 with the osprey without any problems. I am approaching 4,000 on my .556. I am not a gp snob, and I have di uppers as well. I like both systems. And bacon, I love bacon. Oh yeah, and pie. MMM bacon pie.

1lowluv
05-01-2011, 2:34 PM
I found osprey kits for 250 at the gun show today, but I really wanted the Adams arms kit since it comes with a gas block. I didn't end up buying one since they didn't have Adams arms. I bought stuff to build a pistol instead

pumpkinonapost
05-01-2011, 2:40 PM
On the whole "Osprey is cool" thing, does anyone know if the Osprey gas piston kit will work on an AR10?

Don29palms
05-01-2011, 3:40 PM

Because ASSEMBLE and BUILD are synonyms. They mean the same thing!

Don29palms
05-01-2011, 3:47 PM
On the whole "Osprey is cool" thing, does anyone know if the Osprey gas piston kit will work on an AR10?

Rainier Arms has the Adams Arms kits for $279.

Droppin Deuces
05-01-2011, 4:33 PM
Some people here do more than assemble. My latest project has almost every piece customized by me in some way.

It also has an Adams Arms gas piston system. So far it looks nice but I can't tell you how it runs (I'm not there yet) but the gas block is kind of heavy.

Is it one of their newfangled low profile jobs? Those pretty slick. And light.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3155-Adams-Arms-Lightweight-Upper-Review

mlevans66
05-01-2011, 5:49 PM
I got one and I love it. DO IIIIITT! Get the ADAMS! You won't be sorry!

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g447/mlevans66/IMG_0723.jpg

RLTW
05-19-2011, 1:05 PM

What issues were you having or what do you think why it didn't work...

Did you put the Receiver Bushing in the JD upper?

I am building a AR pistol... and yes its an 80% lower. and I'm thinking of going gas piston, instead of DI.

goodlookin1
05-19-2011, 1:41 PM

i dont think there are currently any piston kits available for an AR-10/LR .308 platform. If you can find one, let me know :)

1911su16b870
05-19-2011, 1:55 PM
What issues were you having or what do you think why it didn't work...

Did you put the Receiver Bushing in the JD upper?

I am building a AR pistol... and yes its an 80% lower. and I'm thinking of going gas piston, instead of DI.

The AA BCG was bigger than the JD upper receiver. Or the JD upper receiver was smaller than it should be...

I installed the AA bushing in the JD receiver LMK by pm if you want it for a cheap trade?

emy
05-19-2011, 1:57 PM
Here is my AA conversion on a 7.62x39 , had to do a lot of work to make it run with x39.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205159_200329740005989_100000868943084_485066_2105 948_n.jpg