PDA

View Full Version : best deal on a complete lower?

MUKAK
04-30-2011, 3:44 PM
hey guys i am new to this... been reading and most people say the gun is in the UPPER so any lower will do?

should i get a composite lower or aluminum?

i seen some online specials for like 125 for a complete lower? is this a good piece?

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=312

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=621227&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Actions%20%26%20Frames%20-%20AR%20%28FFL%20Required%29-_-PriceCompListing-_-621227

I am not gonna be putting thousands of rounds tru the rifle... am getting a Rifle just incase.... its gonna be a 5.56

thanks

d sauce
04-30-2011, 4:33 PM
There is a thread in here all about Plumcrazy Lowers. I read a bunch of posts out of it because I was curious about them too. I did not find anything negative about them. I fiddled with a Plumcrazy at a shop once and it felt and kinda looked weird because of the material its made of, this is why I got an aluminum lower. If you aren't going to be putting a lot of rounds through it, I would say go for it.

But

When you say "just incase" people are going to say stuff like they wouldn't trust their life to a piece of plastic and you are going to cause a stir.

Look around cause you can get a stripped Aero Precision lower for 90+tax+DROS=125ish and then just buy this kit from Palmetto State http://palmettostatearmory.com/1633.php for 110ish shipped to your door. Put that together and you got a good solid lower for around $235.

MUKAK
04-30-2011, 4:36 PM
There is a thread in here all about Plumcrazy Lowers. I read a bunch of posts out of it because I was curious about them too. I did not find anything negative about them. I fiddled with a Plumcrazy at a shop once and it felt and kinda looked weird because of the material its made of, this is why I got an aluminum lower. If you aren't going to be putting a lot of rounds through it, I would say go for it.

But

When you say "just incase" people are going to say stuff like they wouldn't trust their life to a piece of plastic and you are going to cause a stir.

Look around cause you can get a stripped Aero Precision lower for 90+tax+DROS=125ish and then just buy this kit from Palmetto State http://palmettostatearmory.com/1633.php for 110ish shipped to your door. Put that together and you got a good solid lower for around $235.
ye i was leaning towards Aluminum piece :43:

is 250 for a complete rock river lower a good deal? a forum member offering a NEW NEVER FIRED

CalNRA
04-30-2011, 4:38 PM
i seen some online specials for like 125 for a complete lower? is this a good piece?

After the transfer fee you will be better off supporting local dealers.

Building an AR lower requires nothing more than common tools like pliers, rubber mallet, and gasp! masking tape.

When I first started building them I never built one before and I was done in 15 minutes following instructions commonly found on the internet. This is the once I used:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

762.DEFENSE
04-30-2011, 5:54 PM
If you're going for the best price, Palmetto State Armory is selling their brand lowers for something like $65 out the door with free shipping. Use coupon code "Calguns.net" for $15 off your lowers purchase. :D

762.DEFENSE
04-30-2011, 5:55 PM
I forgot to add, I bought 2, and they're good to go!
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1560.php

SERIAL SNIPER
04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
here is the thing if you order a lower from out of state most ffls charge you $75.00 to dros it. making it not cost effective to do that. you go to a local dealer you pay a little more for a complete lower because you now must pay sales tax on your purchase. if you do a private party transfer there is a $35 fee your going to have to pay but weather you do a ppt or buy it from your local gun store that 35 fee still applies. i have bought many ar lowers from guys in here on the for sale forum here. imho a lower is a lower find the cheapest one you can find they all work the same. it really sounds like your a noobie and you need to go out and look at some prices around gun stores so you have a better idea what your doing.

Warguy
05-01-2011, 12:00 AM
im building my first AR also, i have found some stripped lowers online for 59.99 but after my local ffl dealer fees its not even worth it. They want to charge like 60 + DROS. Cheapest i have found is 40 + DROS and its just not worth it. My local dealers have stripped lowers for 99. So it works out to the same price anyway. Just check local shops and im sure you can find one for 99 or 89 maybe...

MUKAK
05-05-2011, 2:49 PM
im building my first AR also, i have found some stripped lowers online for 59.99 but after my local ffl dealer fees its not even worth it. They want to charge like 60 + DROS. Cheapest i have found is 40 + DROS and its just not worth it. My local dealers have stripped lowers for 99. So it works out to the same price anyway. Just check local shops and im sure you can find one for 99 or 89 maybe...

ye u r correct on fees!! crap

hey can some1 refer me to a local shop in OC? i am near Fountain Valley so i was thinking Rifle Gear... do they sell stripped lowers?

i think am gonna get this kit for 614 shipped
http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

Warguy
05-05-2011, 2:58 PM
[QUOTE=MUKAK;6340255]ye u r correct on fees!! crap

hey can some1 refer me to a local shop in OC? i am near Fountain Valley so i was thinking Rifle Gear... do they sell stripped lowers?

[url]

riflegear does have stripped lowers there for 99. I've got a friend that works there, travis, he's a good guy, he can take care of ya. Everyone there is cool so it don't matter who you go too.

MUKAK
05-05-2011, 3:14 PM
[QUOTE=MUKAK;6340255]ye u r correct on fees!! crap

[url]

riflegear does have stripped lowers there for 99. I've got a friend that works there, travis, he's a good guy, he can take care of ya. Everyone there is cool so it don't matter who you go too.

hey i just checked they website and they have a Special for a Spikes Lower for 99$ or should i get the Zombie for 109?

thanks

Lead Waster
05-05-2011, 4:03 PM
I bought my JD Machine (in state, San Diego I think) at a gun show. The local gunshop had a booth with a few guns on display but mostly they did ALL the FFL work in the show (Cow Palace - Crossroads) They charged me $25. JD sent the lower to them and I picked it up from their shop. Lower was $109 which is a slight touch more than other, and a slight touch less than others ... but no shipping cost. So $134 OTD (a 10 day door).

I'm not really clear on this, but I did the paperwork at the show, so by the time the lower shipped to the shop, it was past 10 days. I thought the FFL had to hold it for 10 days. I guess it's from when the paperwork is submitted (or dated).

I think I'd agree that pretty much any lower will work, it just holds all the other stuff together and the spec is pretty clear on dimensions and where the holes go. Any company that is going to set up the tools/mills to crank out and sell lowers will have those lowers done to spec or else they are useless and unsaleable.

That complete lower (minus receiver) kit for $100 is a pretty good deal. Usually simple stocks are $50-$60 and lower parts kits seem to start around $60. Don't forget the BULLET BUTTON if you are in CA. Does the Palametto kit come with that? It's $20, so if it DOES come with it, then that kit is awesome.

Lead Waster
05-05-2011, 4:05 PM
[QUOTE=Warguy;6340309]

hey i just checked they website and they have a Special for a Spikes Lower for 99$ or should i get the Zombie for 109?

thanks

What does zombie get you? Just a funny safety/selector marking? If so, I'd rather have the $10. That will buy you half a bullet button.

Also, check local home-based FFLs, they will be cheaper than a gun shop. The gun shop wants you to buy through them, the home-based FFL just wants your business.

MUKAK
05-05-2011, 4:13 PM
[QUOTE=MUKAK;6340382]

What does zombie get you? Just a funny safety/selector marking? If so, I'd rather have the $10. That will buy you half a bullet button.

Also, check local home-based FFLs, they will be cheaper than a gun shop. The gun shop wants you to buy through them, the home-based FFL just wants your business.

what is a HOME BASED FFLS? i thought the local gun shops are home based lol

is there a better place near me other then rifle gear to get the stripped lower ?