PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Rounds and Tube Magazines

Tiberius
04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
This is a general question I've been wondering about, and I'm hoping someone here can shine a little light on it.

I know that .22s, and some rifle cartridges such as .30-30 and .45-70 are often used in guns with tube magazines (where the rounds are end to end as opposed to stacked).

But could this be done with 9mm, .45s. or .40s? Or would having the nose of one bullet up against the primer of the next lead to trouble? Sometimes loading up the .30-30 feels a little funny to me, shoving that cartridge up against its neighbor's backside, but they're designed that way and it works fine.

I'm not so sure about handgun primers. Thanks,

T

1 SIG fan
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Some say use Wad cutters or flat nose but most say your fine. Ie in my 357 leverarl. Use both and no KB yet :)

zfields
04-30-2011, 11:19 AM
tube mags usually use a roll crimp on the bullet opposed to a taper (which is usually found on .45 ACP, 9mm, 40SW and the like). Revolver ammo used the roll crimp, and thats why you see most the lever action tube mags using .357, 44 and the like. Doesnt really have anything to due with the primers.

So, If you roll your own .45 or 9mm, and find a lever action chambered for it, go for it! Just be sure to roll crimp of you could find some bullet setback which is never a good thing!

sigfan91
04-30-2011, 1:14 PM
This is a general question I've been wondering about, and I'm hoping someone here can shine a little light on it.

I know that .22s, and some rifle cartridges such as .30-30 and .45-70 are often used in guns with tube magazines (where the rounds are end to end as opposed to stacked).

But could this be done with 9mm, .45s. or .40s? Or would having the nose of one bullet up against the primer of the next lead to trouble? Sometimes loading up the .30-30 feels a little funny to me, shoving that cartridge up against its neighbor's backside, but they're designed that way and it works fine.

I'm not so sure about handgun primers. Thanks,

T

Notice they are all rimmed. Lever guns with tube mags work best with rimmed cartridges. Autos are rimless and may affect the feed and/or extraction in a leve gun.

I have 2 lever carbines chambered in 357 magnum and they are fun to shoot.